The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Travelling (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/40790-travelling.html)

tjchamp Fri Jan 04, 2008 01:41pm

Travelling

Player a obtains possession of the ball with one knew on the floor. He then puts the other knee on the floor. Is this travel?

tjones1 Fri Jan 04, 2008 01:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjchamp
Player a obtains possession of the ball with one knee on the floor. He then puts the other knee on the floor. Is this travel?

Yes, sir.

Ron Pilo Fri Jan 04, 2008 01:54pm

I know it is a travel if you put a knee on the floor, but not sure you can justify a travel is there is a knee already on the floor and the other one comes down........do you have a rules reference that would support a travel call in this instance......I can't find one........

PSidbury Fri Jan 04, 2008 01:55pm

Quote:

Player a obtains possession of the ball with one knew on the floor. He then puts the other knee on the floor. Is this travel?

(I won't nit-pick your spelling... those that nit-pick are just over-compensating for lack of control somewhere else in their lives... However, does nit-picking nit-pickers make me a nit-picker ? :p)

What if the player has possession of ball with both knees on floor and pivots on one knee while sliding (it does not leave contact with the floor) the other knee...?

Page and verse in rule book, please.

Thanks,
Paul

bob jenkins Fri Jan 04, 2008 02:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1
Yes, sir.

Disagree.

tjones1 Fri Jan 04, 2008 02:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Disagree.

Why not?

4-44-5a

tjones1 Fri Jan 04, 2008 02:34pm

I see 4.44.5 Sit D. However, it doesn't say anything about the other knee coming to the floor, which in my opinion 4-44-5a would have to apply.

Get me back in line, Bob. :)

Coltdoggs Fri Jan 04, 2008 03:00pm

Did he start a dribble before the other knee hit the floor?

Ok, I don't know if that makes a diff but I thought I'd muddy the H20! :D

tjones1 Fri Jan 04, 2008 03:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
Did he start a dribble before the other knee hit the floor?

Ok, I don't know if that makes a diff but I thought I'd muddy the H20! :D

If he did, then it'd be legal. 4.44.5 Sit D.

tjones1 Fri Jan 04, 2008 03:19pm

Well, talking to a few people and what not.

I think Bob is saying he's already on the floor - thus, no violation.

Still a little rusty on this one, but I'll come around! :)

PSidbury Fri Jan 04, 2008 04:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSidbury
What if the player has possession of ball with both knees on floor and pivots on one knee while sliding (it does not leave contact with the floor) the other knee...?

The player pivoting on the knee is not attempting to get up, just attempting to pivot for a passing opportunity.

Per 4-44-5b, it sounds legal to me. Feedback appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

Camron Rust Fri Jan 04, 2008 05:02pm

Quote:

Travel.

<DD>Traveling: ART. 5 . . . A player holding the ball: </DD><DL><DL><DL><DT>a. May not touch the floor with a knee or any other part of the body other than hand or foot. <DT>b. After gaining possession while on the floor and touching with other than hand or foot, may not attempt to get up or stand. </DT></DL></DL></DL>If that knee is not in contact with the floor when they gain control of the ball, they may not touch it to the floor.

Basically, if anything other than a hand/foot makes contact with the floor while the player is holding the ball, it is a travel.

tjchamp Fri Jan 04, 2008 05:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Travel.

<DD>Traveling: ART. 5 . . . A player holding the ball: </DD><DL><DL><DL><DT>a. May not touch the floor with a knee or any other part of the body other than hand or foot. <DT>b. After gaining possession while on the floor and touching with other than hand or foot, may not attempt to get up or stand. </DT></DL></DL></DL>If that knee is not in contact with the floor when they gain control of the ball, they may not touch it to the floor.

Basically, if anything other than a hand/foot makes contact with the floor while the player is holding the ball, it is a travel.

Maybe I'm not thinking this through enough. For most, if not all, of the rules in the book, if they are delineated out, they are "or" statements. So, in this case we would only be looking at 4.44.5.b. And that only references that the player may not attempt to get up or stand.

bob jenkins Fri Jan 04, 2008 05:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Travel.

A1 dives on the ball and slides forward on his stomach, with his legs in the air. After coming to a stop, he drops his legs to the floor.

Travel?

rockyroad Fri Jan 04, 2008 05:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
A1 dives on the ball and slides forward on his stomach, with his legs in the air. After coming to a stop, he drops his legs to the floor.

Travel?

Nope.

Flagrant foul - eject him from the game. There is absolutely NO excuse for diving on the defenseless ball like that.:mad: