The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 01:42pm
Esteemed Participant

I have never really had any major table problems - until Saturday night...Visiting is granted a time-out...during the time-out one of the Assistant coaches goes to table to check how many time-outs are left...I don't hear what is being said, but the coach is rapidly becoming agittated and animated, so I hustle over there to see what is going on...the Assistant coach tells me that the scorer won't tell him how many to's they have left...so I ask the scorer "How many to's does red have?" His response was "They get 4 fulls and two 30's." "No, how many do they have left?" I ask...he says, "It's none of your business. I keep the book. You call the fouls. I will notify you when they have used their last one."

At first I just stood there looking at him in disbelief...then I said "You will answer the questions we ask, when we ask them, or you will leave this gym right now and we will get someone else to do the book." At which point he told them how many to's they had left...since there were only 2 min. or so left, he didn't have any other chances to cause problems...anyone else ever come across a situation like this, and if so - how did you handle it?
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Had a game with a nazi scorekeep. Politely informed her who was running this show and that she had two choices. Work with us or leave. What else can one do? After the game the A.D. said he wished I would have tossed her as she was more trouble than she's worth (been there forever but...). Cant imagine anyone giving you any trouble, DJ!
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 02:52pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb That's horrible!

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
I have never really had any major table problems - until Saturday night...Visiting is granted a time-out...during the time-out one of the Assistant coaches goes to table to check how many time-outs are left...I don't hear what is being said, but the coach is rapidly becoming agittated and animated, so I hustle over there to see what is going on...the Assistant coach tells me that the scorer won't tell him how many to's they have left...so I ask the scorer "How many to's does red have?" His response was "They get 4 fulls and two 30's." "No, how many do they have left?" I ask...he says, "It's none of your business. I keep the book. You call the fouls. I will notify you when they have used their last one."

At first I just stood there looking at him in disbelief...then I said "You will answer the questions we ask, when we ask them, or you will leave this gym right now and we will get someone else to do the book." At which point he told them how many to's they had left...since there were only 2 min. or so left, he didn't have any other chances to cause problems...anyone else ever come across a situation like this, and if so - how did you handle it?
Good job of cracking that nut!
That is a very fine reason to write a "letter of concern" to the state athletic association.
mick
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
so I ask the scorer "How many to's does red have?" His response was "They get 4 fulls and two 30's."
Hopefully this was an OT game, otherwise, I'd probably boot the scorer if he was going to give each team an extra TO.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
so I ask the scorer "How many to's does red have?" His response was "They get 4 fulls and two 30's."
Hopefully this was an OT game, otherwise, I'd probably boot the scorer if he was going to give each team an extra TO.
Most HS areas in NY state use 4 and 2. This scorer sounds
like he could have come from NY. (Beat ya to it.)
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 04:32pm
Esteemed Participant

Sorry...it was an NCAA game...and I haven't got a clue where the guy came from, but I do hope he goes back real soon!!
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sorry...it was an NCAA game...and I haven't got a clue where the guy came from, but I do hope he goes back real soon!!
Whew! You scared me for a minute. Thinking it was an NF game, I was wondering why you were allowing the asst. coach to go to the table.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Here's Advice from an Assigner (Poor Table)

In my first year of officiating I had the home book tell me I was doing a rotten job (possibly true!) and she threatened to "report me to the state." Being very green at the time, I didn't respond to her directly. But I did run the sitch by my assigner. He told me to do the following if it ever happened again:

1) remind the table that they are part of the officiating crew, just like the officials on the floor, and that we all must work together to properly officiate the game.

2) tell them that you're sure that they don't mean what they just said.

3) tell them that if they do mean what they just said, we immediately need another home book and that I would do the reporting to the state, not her.

Haven't had to use this advice since that day, but it's probably good to keep in mind.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

One college night, a darn scorekeeper shook his head when I called a foul against the home team. I gave him a fair warning that it would not be tolerated again. Another foul was taken to the table by a partner later in the half, which he did the same thing. I told him bye bye Mr. Scorekeeper, you are out of here.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I replaced a visiting scorekeeper once last season. It was Freshmen girls, so it wasn't any major important game, but this guy was making a federal case out of every little error he thought the home book was making. Home book was brand new, sixteen years old and scared spitless. She had applied for this "job" and been hired, and this was her first game ever. We were very willing to work with her, talk to her, and she was listening and trying to get it right. This visiting guy was getting everyone in the whole gym all stirred up and screaming. I warned him a couple times to back off and let us be in charge but then he started yelling about how horrible the home book was and that we were calling the game to keep her from looking bad.

At that point (30 seconds before half-time) I told the visiting coach that she needed to het him away from the table, and after half-time she could have someone else there, if they would at least try to get along. He went into the other gym and tried to get "justice" from the other refs, and from the AD. It was one of the most ugly spectacles I've ever witnessed.

[Edited by rainmaker on Feb 11th, 2002 at 10:24 PM]
Old Tue Feb 12, 2002, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Had a similar situation happen a couple of years ago. I was running the clock (we have 6 schools where we do this) and the home team scorer was the coach's wife (she was also an absolute b##tch!). Offical (female) came over to report a foul and the scorer told her that was one of the worst calls she had ever seen. Official told scorer that she was part of the crew and she was to keep her opinions to herself. Scorer muttered something under her breath, official said "excuse me"? Scorer once again mentioned how bad the call was. Official told home coach that they needed to find someone else to keep the book because the scorer was being removed (official did not know it was the coach's wife). Scorer said in loud voice, "do you know who I am"? Official said, "Yep, your the person that will miss the rest of this game". Was all I could do to keep from laughing.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2002, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
The simplest answer is almost always the right one.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2002, 11:54am
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Scorer said in loud voice, "do you know who I am"? Official said, "Yep, you're the person that will miss the rest of this game".
An official half-a-Davism for this one. Keep up the good work.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2002, 05:39pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
I had a sitch witha scorer last night (02/11), eighth grade game. Complained about a call, I tried to explain and wanted to argue, I told him that he was there to keep score and not argue with me and he continued and I told him that if he kept it up he would be watching the rest of the game from his car. He stopped. After the game game he appologized to me and said that I had done a good job and that I was right to correct him (duh). It might have had something to do withthe fact that my partner was one of the laziest officials I had ever seen. I, as trail, beat him to mid court for the majority of the game. The scorer also made the comment to me that my partner was one of the laziest officials he had ever seen right in front of my partner and my partner proceded to get into a pissing contest (I'll kick your ***! There is a lot of *** to kick buddy!). I let my assignor know so that he would be aware should the school call him. I should have said something at half time to this guy.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2002, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RX Ref
pregame talk with table

I think that in a pregame talk with the table, if they are all there, it is a good idea to bring up all these points.
1. we are a team
2. we help eachother
3 if there is a problem...
etc......

If all the table people are present for this(they aren't always) they know what I expect from them.