The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Media Time Outs in HS (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/40789-media-time-outs-hs.html)

ace Fri Jan 04, 2008 01:30pm

Media Time Outs in HS

I had a game Wednesday where we had media time outs at the 4 min mark of each quarter. Theres no NFHS procedure for this, and I think there should be one that follows the NCAA procedures. The game was on radio.

FWIW, we did first dead ball after 4 minutes - if on a foul, after the free-throws, if second one missed, next dead ball....

Was kind of confusing because we had a deadball at 3:59 and the radio guy gave us the keep going signal, and then the clock stopped again at 3:51 and then the table gave us the sign......did 8 sec. really make that big of difference?

BktBallRef Fri Jan 04, 2008 01:35pm

We have radio for games quite often. I've never seen a media timeout.

bob jenkins Fri Jan 04, 2008 02:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ace
I had a game Wednesday where we had media time outs at the 4 min mark of each quarter. Theres no NFHS procedure for this, and I think there should be one that follows the NCAA procedures. The game was on radio.

That's an option that's left up to the states (who may, in turn, leave it up to the conference / schools, etc.) See 5-12 NOTE

Coltdoggs Fri Jan 04, 2008 03:01pm

In HS when I was part of the T-comm class....we had to take our breaks when the game did, not the other way around :confused:

Interesting...

Mark Padgett Fri Jan 04, 2008 04:45pm

A bazillion years ago, I worked in radio in the Chicago suburb of Aurora. One of my many jobs there (that's how it is at small stations) was play-by-play of local HS football and basketball and a few college basketball games. We never got to take "media" timeouts, even for the college games. Sometimes, near the end of a game, if we were behind in getting in all the spots (radiospeak for "commercials"), we'd just read one during play if it got slow!

BTW - the other station in town had just lost their sports announcer to a bigger market. His name was Chick Hearn. I think I've heard of him since then. :rolleyes:

mkiogima Fri Jan 04, 2008 04:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
BTW - the other station in town had just lost their sports announcer to a bigger market. His name was Chick Hearn. I think I've heard of him since then. :rolleyes:

All right, I'm stupid. Who is Chick Hearn?

M&M Guy Fri Jan 04, 2008 04:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkiogima

He was the play-by-play announcer for the Lakers, before he retired recently. I believe he did over 3,000 Laker games, and was famous for inventing a couple of phrases now in use, such as "slam dunk".

mkiogima Fri Jan 04, 2008 04:55pm

Thanks M&M, at first I thought you were talking about Chick McGee from the Bob & Tom Show. It's seven minutes to quitting time and my brain is fried.

Mark Padgett Fri Jan 04, 2008 04:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy
He was the play-by-play announcer for the Lakers, before he retired recently. I believe he did over 3,000 Laker games, and was famous for inventing a couple of phrases now in use, such as "slam dunk".

It was a lot more than just a "couple". Some we take for granted now were thought up by him including "garbage time". Here's a link:

http://www.abbaroo.com/lakers/chick.html

BTW - I guess he left Aurora about 10 years before I got there, but they still talked so much about him it seemed like he was just there. The guy truly was a sports broadcasting legend. And...I admit that even though I hate the Lakers.

fullor30 Fri Jan 04, 2008 05:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ace

FWIW, we did first dead ball after 4 minutes - if on a foul, after the free-throws, if second one missed, next dead ball....

Was kind of confusing because we had a deadball at 3:59 and the radio guy gave us the keep going signal, and then the clock stopped again at 3:51 and then the table gave us the sign......did 8 sec. really make that big of difference?

I had a TV game several years back which was broadcast on the local PBS station in Chicago and we never had TV time outs. Probably because PBS is commercial free.

Mark Padgett Fri Jan 04, 2008 05:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30
Probably because PBS is commercial free.

Not during "pledge week". ;)

MCJB Ump Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:09am

Did the book for a girls team here in Ohio at the state championships a couple years ago and there were also TV timeouts at the 4 minute mark. Coaches never used any of their regular TOs.

Mark Padgett Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCJB Ump
Coaches never used any of their regular TOs.

Thank you for not saying "coaches never called any of their regular TOs." ;)

BktBallRef Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkiogima

OMIGOD! :eek:

"The game's in the refrigerator. The door's closed, the light's out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jell-O's jiggling." :D

BktBallRef Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
It was a lot more than just a "couple". Some we take for granted now were thought up by him including "garbage time". Here's a link:

http://www.abbaroo.com/lakers/chick.html

"air ball"

"charity stripe"

"throws up a brick"