The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Girls with long hair in a ropelike braid.

I've heard it said girls (or guys I guess) can put their hair in a rope like braid and then supposedly fling it around possibly wacking their opponents and this is totally legal, I find this hard to digest especially since on page 27, 07-08 NFHS rules book under safety concerns it says a referee shall not permit any team member to participate if in their judgement, items such as hair style may constitute a safety concern. Please advise on hair as a possible weapon.
(i'm picturing someone (the opponent) getting wacked in the eye especially during a rebound)
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Don't know who you heard but they were wrong. You read the rule.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

You can stop it, if it is a safety concern.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 01:56am
Official Forum Member

Not legal here.Obviously a safety issue.Back in the day when I played I had waistlength hair that I deliberately wore in a high plait(braid)for the very purpose of flicking in opponents eyes.

Nick who also posts on this forum was the first referee to make me tuck it inside shirt or tie it differently
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

I assume the person who told you this also told you that players can wear earings as long as they are covered with band aids, and that metal barettes are okay as long as they're taped over?
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 05:46am
Official Forum Member

I'm so disappointed. I clicked on this thread expecting something totally different.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Speaking of hair..

I had a player come up to me after a game and asks me questions about his hair. He had these really cool cornrows. There were some intricate weaves and it looked like someone spent alot of time on his hair. I was impressed. At the end of his cornrows he had little plastic beads.

His question for me was if he covered the beads up with a sweatband/headband would that be okay ? I told him no one might notice it but then they might so you roll the dice and see what happens.

Now I didn't consider this to be along the lines of the covering up the earrings with band aids but I'm sure others will.

So would you file this under don't ask/don't tell......
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 10:31am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
At the end of his cornrows he had little plastic beads.

His question for me was if he covered the beads up with a sweatband/headband would that be okay ? I told him no one might notice it but then they might so you roll the dice and see what happens.

Now I didn't consider this to be along the lines of the covering up the earrings with band aids but I'm sure others will.
I will. The FED has already covered those plastic beads as being illegal and not to be allowed to be worn during play. See rule 3-5-3(d). Beads are specifically covered. Do not let players participate with beads in their hair, covered or not.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I will. The FED has already covered those plastic beads as being illegal and not to be allowed to be worn during play. See rule 3-5-3(d). Beads are specifically covered.
Yup. the player can take them out, and put those little tiny silicon bands on the ends to hold the braids, although most hair won't come out anyway, if it's nappy enough.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 11:03am
Esteemed Forum Member

Band Aids On Ears

Quote:
Similar situation regarding band aids covering earrings: We have been advised by our local board interpreter to ask players who are warming up with band aids on their ears why they are wearing band aids. If they say that the band aids are covering earrings, we inform them that they can't play until the earrings come out. If they answer that the band aids are covering cuts, etc., we have been advised not to question them any further, nor to ask them to show us what's under the band aid.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Similar situation regarding band aids covering earrings: We have been advised by our local board interpreter to ask players who are warming up with band aids on their ears why they are wearing band aids. If they say that the band aids are covering earrings, we inform them that they can't play until the earrings come out. If they answer that the band aids are covering cuts, etc., we have been advised not to question them any further, nor to ask them to show us what's under the band aid.
As a procedure, that's fine. BUt if you see the glint of chrome under the band-aid, what can you do? Beads ALWAYS "show" under a sweat band.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 01:29pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
As a procedure, that's fine. BUt if you see the glint of chrome under the band-aid, what can you do?
Juulie - just tell the player that you believe him, but it appears there are earrings there. If at any time during the game, the band-aid comes off and reveals earrings, it will be a flagrant technical foul with a DQ, his team will forfeit the game and have all the rest of their games that season canceled and he will go to jail for 10 years for fraud after 3 months of waterboarding plus any children he has in the future will be sold to foreign nationals. And, oh yeah - you'll tell his mom.

Then see if he "fesses up".
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Juulie - just tell the player that you believe him, but it appears there are earrings there. If at any time during the game, the band-aid comes off and reveals earrings, it will be a flagrant technical foul with a DQ, his team will forfeit the game and have all the rest of their games that season canceled and he will go to jail for 10 years for fraud after 3 months of waterboarding plus any children he has in the future will be sold to foreign nationals. And, oh yeah - you'll tell his mom.

What if I only wear one earring? Can I get just the selling of my children part?

I'll be glad when they're back in school. Long holidays are murder.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 01:32am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett

Then he'll start crying and go tell his mom himself. Then she'll beat you senseless (Juulie could tell her when to stop) and sue your fishnets off.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I had a player come up to me after a game and asks me questions about his hair. He had these really cool cornrows. There were some intricate weaves and it looked like someone spent alot of time on his hair. I was impressed. At the end of his cornrows he had little plastic beads.

No. You file it under illegal, no matter how cool the kid is.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith