The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   2 of our very own! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/40680-2-our-very-own.html)

ace Sat Dec 29, 2007 09:33pm

2 of our very own on TV!

Administrator Brad and bball_junkie will be on ESPN U tonight working the 10PM CST game. Not sure on the teams but this tourny is one of the biggest and best national HS tournys all year.

I believe this is TV debut for both!

My money is on bball_junkie tossing!

Nevadaref Sat Dec 29, 2007 09:40pm

1. Where are these games being played?
2. I see that the first crew (Yates is playing) at 6PM EST is wearing grey shirts.

ace Sat Dec 29, 2007 09:42pm

1) Campbell Center in North Houston.
2) Gray shirts are the norm for this tourny. This tournament isn't scheduled by our local chapter, thus they can do that. Though most of the officials working are from the houston area.

Nevadaref Sat Dec 29, 2007 09:44pm

Thanks. Just found this on the ESPN website.

• Dec. 29: Houston vs. the Nation (doubleheader), 9 p.m., ESPNU: The matchups have not been decided but Oak Hill and No. 2 St. Patrick (Elizabeth, N.J.) will play two Houston are teams. Event director Hal Pastner of Vision Sports said the teams will likely play Yates (Houston) and Klein Collins, two of Texas' strongest large school clubs at the 7,000-seat Campbell Center. The game is a homecoming for OHA 6-10 junior center Tiny Gallon, who attended nearby Atascocita High in Humble. Forward Quintrell Thomas (No. 88) and highly-touted junior guard Dexter Strickland lead St. Patrick. Anthony Jones of Yates, a 6-11 center, has signed with Baylor.

rainmaker Sat Dec 29, 2007 09:45pm

What's ESPN U?? Is it one of the regular ESPN channels? If I go to a sports bar, would they have it?

ace Sat Dec 29, 2007 09:48pm

Julie they may or may not. ESPN U, usually comes with digital cable, and comes packaged with ESPN2, ESPN Classic, and ESPN News.

I know that buffalo wild wings in Houston has ESPN U on regulary.

rainmaker Sat Dec 29, 2007 09:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ace
Julie they may or may not. ESPN U, usually comes with digital cable, and comes packaged with ESPN2, ESPN Classic, and ESPN News.

I know that buffalo wild wings in Houston has ESPN U on regulary.

Yea, well that's a little too far for me to travel. I'll make some calls.

ace Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:03pm

Games fixin to start.

Mark Padgett Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:11pm

I get four ESPN channels but that's not one of them. :(

ace Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I get four ESPN channels but that's not one of them. :(

Thats unfortunate. You get digital cable? If so - check that.

I have the 4 ESPNs on Analouge and again on Digital.

BktBallRef Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:24pm

609 on DTV.

Ace, who's who?

OK, I've got bball_junkie pegged from his pictures on his family's website.

ace Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:36pm

bball_junkie (Brendan) (U1) is the tall lanky official.
Brad is the other tall guy (U2) .
The third (shorter) guy is Mel Whitworth. Mel's the one with the 'different' sounding whistle.

BktBallRef Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:53pm

Okay, a little critique. :)

Good foul selection.

Good coverage. Noticed Brad dropped for Brendan even though it was his call, in his area.

Good PC by Brendan with under a minute to go in the 2nd.

Do you guys use two hand reporting?

Counts are a little slow. That's easy to see with the clock at the bottom of the screen.

Correctly put .5 back on the clock at the end of the 2nd.

However, the timer didn't know how to reset the clock to tenths.

ace Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Okay, a little critique. :)

Good foul selection.

Good coverage. Noticed Brad dropped for Brendan even though it was his call. But they had good communication. -- These guys are best friends and have been refereeing together for atleast 8 years. You'd swear they were brothers becasue of how well they know each other.

Do you guys use two hand reporting? No

Counts are a little slow. That's easy to see with the clock at the bottom of the screen.

However, the timer didn't know how to reset the clock to tenths. Common problem around here. LOL, and everywhere I imagine.

notes in red

Scooby Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:03am

Congrats guys.

BktBallRef Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ace
notes in red

Do you guys use two hand reporting? No

Mel reported a foul with both hands late in the 2nd quarter.

Texas Aggie Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:17am

Mel Whitworth? He's still alive??

Just kidding. Mel's a great guy. Trivia: remember that clip of Larry Bird shooting that shot from behind the backboard that went in? Word has it that it was Mel, an NBA official at the time (obviously), who waived it off.

BktBallRef Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:30am

2nd half

The big guy for Oak Hill can jump!

Ok, nothing bad, I'm just curious. We never bounce the ball across the lane on a throw-in. We always rotate to that side of the floor and administer the throw-in. What do other areas do?

The big guy can run, too.

:D Brendan with the T!

I saw him woofing at Brad earlier that he was hit on the arm. Good call to shut the prima dona up!!!

tomegun Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:33am

We try to move to the side of the lane. Bouncing across is a Women's college mechanic. I don't have anything against the Women's game, it just isn't a NFHS mechanic.

BktBallRef Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
Mel Whitworth? He's still alive??

Just kidding. Mel's a great guy. Trivia: remember that clip of Larry Bird shooting that shot from behind the backboard that went in? Word has it that it was Mel, an NBA official at the time (obviously), who waived it off.

Probably why he reported with two hands. Hmmm...

BktBallRef Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun
We try to move to the side of the lane. Bouncing across is a Women's college mechanic. I don't have anything against the Women's game, it just isn't a NFHS mechanic.

My feeling as well. But I'm sure other areas do it differently.

BktBallRef Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:41am

Great job, guys!

Brendan sticks the #1 rated player in the country, proving to us all that you don't have to listen to anybody! Glad it didn't turn into an OJ Mayo situation. ;)

Nevadaref Sun Dec 30, 2007 06:02am

Quote:

Great job, guys!

Brendan sticks the #1 rated player in the country, proving to us all that you don't have to listen to anybody! Glad it didn't turn into an OJ Mayo situation. ;)

He was obviously aware that he didn't have 4 fouls. :eek:

Seriously I thought that the crew looked very good. I liked the way that they allowed the kids to block shots and didn't unnecessarily penalize good defensive plays.

Jurassic Referee Sun Dec 30, 2007 07:17am

I watched it off and on. Well officiated. I expected no less.

Jurassic Referee Sun Dec 30, 2007 07:20am

Quote:

609 on DTV.

148 on DISH. They have some varied stuff on there.

Mark Padgett Sun Dec 30, 2007 01:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ace
Thats unfortunate. You get digital cable? If so - check that.

I have the 4 ESPNs on Analouge and again on Digital.

I get ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNC (classic) and ESPNN (news). I checked my menu and no ESPNU. I even called my son, who is a manager at Comcast, to verify. He said nope. :(

Brad Mon Dec 31, 2007 03:07am

Good foul selection.

Good coverage. Noticed Brad dropped for Brendan even though it was his call, in his area.

Don't remember this specifically -- do you remember the time in the game? (I'm sure you took COPIOUS notes!!! LOL)

This was the "hook" call, right? I had a whistle on this too from trail and the Oak Hill coach (and his assistants) complained about it! Very easy call we thought!!

No.

Yeah -- mine tend to be... I always use the clock for my 10-second count anyway... but for 5-seconds I am just slow (but always consistent of course! :))

If we had known how much time it was going to take to handle this we never would have done it! Normally you just tell the time to put time back on and they put it back on... This took FOREVER!!!

However, as you pointed out, it was the right call... I was opposite and had the clock and thought we needed to put time back on -- Brendan came in from table side and said the same thing. Since the offensive team had the ball underneath their own basket, it make even more sense to put the time back on.

Then the horn DOESN'T go off to end the half, even though it did the first time... And the 3-pointer that Madison launched after we put time back on WOULD have been good, because I look at the clock after he shot the ball and there was still time running down... I'm sure that would have been *interesting* so I am glad it didn't happen! :)

Brad Mon Dec 31, 2007 03:13am

Ok, nothing bad, I'm just curious. We never bounce the ball across the lane on a throw-in. We always rotate to that side of the floor and administer the throw-in. What do other areas do?

We bounce across the lane in the backcourt only... Not always, but if the other two refs head down the court we will just bounce across instead of rotating.

:D Brendan with the T!

I saw him woofing at Brad earlier that he was hit on the arm. Good call to shut the prima dona up!!!

LOL -- yeah, you saw that?! At the next free throw he was not lined up on the lane, but standing near Brendan at trail... I was at lead and moved into the lane, got his attention and said, "If you do that to me again I am going to light you up real quick!" and Brendan gave him a few words of advice (If I recall correctly telling him not to embarrass us).

A few plays later he... how should we say this... emphatically told Brendan that he was fouled. I think Padgett is the one the says he used a word that started with "f" and ended with "uck" and was not "firetruck"...

Nice job Brendan -- whacking the #1 rated player in the nation!!! :)

Seriously, that kid is a great player... and THANK YOU commentators for pointing out that you do not get a lot of players receiving techs when their team is up by 24! LOL

Nevadaref Mon Dec 31, 2007 03:15am

Brad,
Could you please expound on the decision to wear the grey shirts? My association is having a little issue with this at the moment.

Specifically, could you state: who sanctioned the event, who was the assignor, who made the decision on the shirts, what other options were available or considered, what impact, if any, it had on the TX associations to which any of you belong or from the state office.

Thanks.
PS If you don't feel comfortable posting any of that info just say so. I would like as much as possible though. It would be greatly appreciated.

Brad Mon Dec 31, 2007 03:17am

Quote:

I get ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNC (classic) and ESPNN (news). I checked my menu and no ESPNU. I even called my son, who is a manager at Comcast, to verify. He said nope. :(

Yeah - Comcast is one that does not have it unfortunately... ESPN U is like the red-headed stepchild of the ESPN channels... Ever since another friend of ours had a game on there we have called it The Ocho (watch Dodgeball if you don't get it :))

Not my TV debut, but was my *national* TV debut.

Jus sayin' :)

Was glad to be able to work it... especially with Brendan... The first of many to come!!

Brad Mon Dec 31, 2007 03:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Brad,
Could you please expound on the decision to wear the grey shirts? My association is having a little issue with this at the moment.

Specifically, could you state: who sanctioned the event, who was the assignor, who made the decision on the shirts, what other options were available or considered, what impact, if any, it had on the TX associations to which any of you belong or from the state office.

Thanks.
PS If you don't feel comfortable posting any of that info just say so. I would like as much as possible though. It would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure who sanctioned the event... The UIL governs high school athletics in Texas, so somehow they did I assume. However, in Texas we have a separate officials association, which is different than most states.

The assignor is a local Houston official and when he started assigning this tournament years back (about 6 years ago I think) he decided to use the grey shirts... Basically it is his show, so he can do whatever he wants.

I don't really have a strong opinion on them... I think that they look good, but don't mind our regular black and white either...

RookieDude Mon Dec 31, 2007 04:15am

Quote:

Brad,

Thanks.

We have kind of a unique situation, regarding gray/stripe shirts, in our Association, I think.

Our State Tournaments have been using grays for a few years now.
But, our association has been using the good ol' black and whites(Unless we went to the State Tournament)...until this year. We decided to go with the grays as the "default" shirt. In other words, the new guys would go ahead and buy grays and not worry about buying black and white. If we were going to officiate with a newer official, then the veteran officials would have to also have a gray shirt.

Where we are different, I believe, is that we can decide...as a crew...what color shirts we will wear. I have found that most of the Varsity guys are going with Black/White shirts. But, if just one individual wants to go with gray...then the whole crew must.

We usually tell our partners what color shirt to bring to the game when we make our e-mails/phone calls confirming our assignment. I bring both...just in case.;)

Nevadaref Mon Dec 31, 2007 08:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad
Not sure who sanctioned the event... The UIL governs high school athletics in Texas, so somehow they did I assume. However, in Texas we have a separate officials association, which is different than most states.

The assignor is a local Houston official and when he started assigning this tournament years back (about 6 years ago I think) he decided to use the grey shirts... Basically it is his show, so he can do whatever he wants.

I don't really have a strong opinion on them... I think that they look good, but don't mind our regular black and white either...

Thanks, Brad.
My state office has contacted the NFHS and they explicitly said NO to the greys.
We have a rep on the rules committee right now and so we follow the particulars. We don't wish to jeopardize his position.

I wonder if any group/state wearing the greys loses their representation/vote/rule change submission rights with the NFHS.

Nevadaref Mon Dec 31, 2007 08:16am

RD,
Where do you officiate?

ChrisSportsFan Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:52am

Quote:

Not for anyone I work for. Let me clarify, if you are going long, you can bounce across but if you're staying, you rotate over.

Mark Padgett Mon Dec 31, 2007 02:38pm

I think we should all go to the greys with collars. ;)

IUgrad92 Mon Dec 31, 2007 03:32pm

Quote:

RD,
Where do you officiate?

I believe RD is in Washington state, as I am. Our association has decided on using the grey shirt for all school games. Everything else we cover (AAU, YMCA, and rec league) we can wear what we want.

I have noticed that most of the new officials are just buying the grey though.

tomegun Mon Dec 31, 2007 04:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisSportsFan
Not for anyone I work for. Let me clarify, if you are going long, you can bounce across but if you're staying, you rotate over.

What do you mean? Are you saying that you do Women's college and if you are going the length of the court you move to the same side of the lane instead of bouncing across? I'm not 100% on the Women's mechanics, but in the Men's game we go to that side of the lane - NFHS mechanic also. For me it isn't so much about college, women's or NFHS. It is more about doing what we are supposed to do for that rule set. If they could agree on doing things the same way - not going to happen - it would be great.

tomegun Mon Dec 31, 2007 04:08pm

Brad, did Steve assign these games? I didn't get to see the game, but I know you guys and I would expect nothing other than an outstanding job.

ChrisSportsFan Mon Dec 31, 2007 04:34pm

Quote:

What do you mean? Are you saying that you do Women's college

Yes

and if you are going the length of the court you move to the same side of the lane instead of bouncing across?

If you are going long, just take a peek and see where you partners are. No need to make them switch up, just bounce across and go.

I'm not 100% on the Women's mechanics, but in the Men's game we go to that side of the lane - NFHS mechanic also. For me it isn't so much about college, women's or NFHS. It is more about doing what we are supposed to do for that rule set. If they could agree on doing things the same way

You are correct

not going to happen

You are correct

it would be great.

You are correct

BBall_Junkie Mon Dec 31, 2007 04:59pm

Quote:

Great job, guys!

Yeah... I don't listen to a whole lot from players and I don't care who you are (credit to Larry the Cable Guy)! The fuse gets even shorter when you are waxing a team by 24 late in the game. Sprinkle in two warnings (one from Brad and one from myself) and an "F Bomb" and you have what I think all should agree is a recipe for the proverbial "Automatic T"!!! LOL

Jurassic Referee Mon Dec 31, 2007 05:09pm

The game is being replayed right now on ESPNU.

Officiating still looks pretty good.:D

BktBallRef Mon Dec 31, 2007 05:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad

Don't remember this specifically -- do you remember the time in the game? (I'm sure you took COPIOUS notes!!! LOL)

Late 2nd quarter. There was a rebound and a putback on your side between the block and the glass.. Brendan was C, opposite. Two whistles, you dropped, definitely your call, no biggie. If I'm C, I let you have it so I can stay in the rocking chair. :)

Quote:

Quote:

This was the "hook" call, right? I had a whistle on this too from trail and the Oak Hill coach (and his assistants) complained about it! Very easy call we thought!!
Yes, it was a hook, which are normally not visible to anyone behind the play, as the Oak Hill bench would have been

Quote:

Quote:

No.
Noticed it once from Mel.

Quote:

If we had known how much time it was going to take to handle this we never would have done it! Normally you just tell the time to put time back on and they put it back on... This took FOREVER!!!

However, as you pointed out, it was the right call... I was opposite and had the clock and thought we needed to put time back on -- Brendan came in from table side and said the same thing. Since the offensive team had the ball underneath their own basket, it make even more sense to put the time back on.

Then the horn DOESN'T go off to end the half, even though it did the first time... And the 3-pointer that Madison launched after we put time back on WOULD have been good, because I look at the clock after he shot the ball and there was still time running down... I'm sure that would have been *interesting* so I am glad it didn't happen! :)
Yep, I remember your whistle and no horn.

Most clocks, you would enter 0-0-0-5 for .5.

I enjoyed watching, even though it wasn't much of a game.

BktBallRef Mon Dec 31, 2007 05:19pm

Quote:

Thanks, Brad.
My state office has contacted the NFHS and they explicitly said NO to the greys.
We have a rep on the rules committee right now and so we follow the particulars. We don't wish to jeopardize his position.

I wonder if any group/state wearing the greys loses their representation/vote/rule change submission rights with the NFHS.

Officials wore grays supplied by the NCHSAA at last year's state championships. They will be mandatory in the playoffs this year and mandatory full time next year.

While the NFHS may not approve, I don't expect there will be any action taken against states that allow them. The NCHSAA would never have gone to them if that was going to happen.

Presently, we alternate the black/white shirt with the 4" inserts and the gray shirt.

bob jenkins Mon Dec 31, 2007 05:19pm

Quote:

What do you mean? Are you saying that you do Women's college and if you are going the length of the court you move to the same side of the lane instead of bouncing across?

In NCAW, the official (new T) can bounce the ball across the lane instead of moving to that saide and forcing old C to run "all the way" to the end to become new L.

If there's a TO, then new T is supposed to administer from teh "correct" side (not bounce the ball across).

Mark Padgett Mon Dec 31, 2007 05:23pm

Quote:

Presently, we alternate the black/white shirt with the 4" inserts and the gray shirt.

You mean you wear the stripes in the 1st and 3rd quarters and the gray in the 2nd and 4th? What do you do for OT, go naked? :eek:

Of course, that's not a concern of mine, since I don't allow OTs. :p

26 Year Gap Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:48am

Quote:

You mean you wear the stripes in the 1st and 3rd quarters and the gray in the 2nd and 4th? What do you do for OT, go naked? :eek:

Of course, that's not a concern of mine, since I don't allow OTs. :p

The little used 'hybrid' shirt comes into play here.

Brad Wed Jan 02, 2008 01:13am

Quote:

Brad, did Steve assign these games? I didn't get to see the game, but I know you guys and I would expect nothing other than an outstanding job.

Yeah... Steve has assigned this tournament since it began 6 six or so years ago...

RookieDude Wed Jan 02, 2008 02:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IUgrad92
I believe RD is in Washington state, as I am. Our association has decided on using the grey shirt for all school games. Everything else we cover (AAU, YMCA, and rec league) we can wear what we want.

I have noticed that most of the new officials are just buying the grey though.

That is correct...Washington State.

Some associations, in our State, have been all gray for a few years. We have two associations in our area...Boys and Girls...an official may belong to one or both. I belong just to the Boys association. We have sort of dragged our feet in changing to grays. The girls association has been grays for at least 2 years.
If an official belongs to both associations...they needed to have both shirts.

We had one individual go to a District game out of our area a couple years ago.
He just had a stripe shirt...the area he was going to had changed to grays the year before. ( I think it was Yakima, WA)
The two officials from the area he was going to brought their gray shirts....as I said, he brought only his stripe shirt.
I hear it didn't look to good with 2 grays...and one stripe...doing a District playoff game.:o

I always carry both...in fact sometimes 2 grays and one stripe to really make sure.