The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

What the H?

I had a funny one happen last week with the 5-6 tournament playoffs. A loose ball is going all over the court, with about half the players going down on the court, finally A1 gets control of the ball and is sitting on her rear trying to pass, a close opponent B1 gets bumped by his own teammate so hard from behind that B1 falls completely on A1 and the ball knocking the wind out of the A1, looked like a tackle, I called a push on B1, but it was totally B2's fault for knocking B1 into A1. Was that right?
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 04:05pm
Never Stop Learning

Talking

Sounds like B1 fouled A1 to me. What is the signal for piling on ? Oh this is Basketball.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 04:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

You called it right. B1 gets to yell at B2, but B1 gets the foul.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 07:15pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

B2 gets credit for a foul assist in the scorebook.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 07:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
B2 gets credit for a foul assist in the scorebook.
My question is this:
Does this play affect B2's foul insurance premiums?
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 07:47pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
My question is this:
Does this play affect B2's foul insurance premiums?
First of all, coaches, not players, buy foul insurance. Second, since a foul assist cannot happen without a foul happening, foul assists do not add to the foul totals and therefore do not have a bearing on foul insurance premiums.

Thanks for asking, though.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle
I had a funny one happen last week with the 5-6 tournament playoffs. A loose ball is going all over the court, with about half the players going down on the court, finally A1 gets control of the ball and is sitting on her rear trying to pass, a close opponent B1 gets bumped by his own teammate so hard from behind that B1 falls completely on A1 and the ball knocking the wind out of the A1, looked like a tackle, I called a push on B1, but it was totally B2's fault for knocking B1 into A1. Was that right?
The problem is letting Boys and girls play together. That seems to cause alot of problems!
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Blue
The problem is letting Boys and girls play together. That seems to cause alot of problems!
Know wonder they were piling on top of each other. Did you have any illegal use of hands?
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Red face

Now I'm starting to understand why they don't let boys and girls mix teams at the high school level!
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle
Now I'm starting to understand why they don't let boys and girls mix teams at the high school level!
But they'll let the wrestle each other. Where's the logic in that?
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 10:41am
Esteemed Forum Member

Boys And Girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
But they'll let the wrestle each other. Where's the logic in that?
In some states, in some schools, anti-discrimination lawsuits have allowed boys to play on girls field hockey teams, where boys field hockey is not available. This has led to questions about the fairness of school field hockey teams with many boys, playing schools with all girls field hockey teams. Teenage boys, with testosterone flowing, are usually bigger, stronger, and faster than teenage girls.

Has Title IX, and anti-discrimination, gone too far? Due to limited funding, will "minor" high school sports dissappear like some "minor" college sports, men's gymnastics, men's wrestling, etc. Here in New England, Providence College was forced to eliminate its very successful men's baseball program to satisfy the Title IX provision of equal funding for men's and women's sports.

Both my daughters have benifited from Title IX funding in both high school, and college sports. Opportunities were made available to them that were not made available to females back when I was in high school, and college, but when field hockey teams with boys win state championships, and colleges like Providence have to eliminate men's sports, has the fairness "pendulum" swung too far in one direction?
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 10:48am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
In some states, in some schools, anti-discrimination lawsuits have allowed boys to play on girls field hockey teams, where boys field hockey is not available.
Yup, I saw that commercial too.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 11:04am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Maeder
Sounds like B1 fouled A1 to me. What is the signal for piling on ? Oh this is Basketball.
Yup B1 personal foul. Administer the throw-in 15 yards closer to A's basket.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 11:14am
Esteemed Forum Member

Commercial ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Yup, I saw that commercial too.
Jurassic Referee: What commercial are you refering to? I became aware of this situation when attending a Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference (CIAC), the governing body for high school sports here in Connecticut, conference on the legal issues surrounding high school sports eligibility here in Connecticut. We were warned that more and more legal challanges were going to be made in the future that would change the "traditional" idea of high school sports, and that the CIAC, with its limted legal funding, was not going to fight every battle, but would "pick and choose" which battles to fight regarding high school sports eligibility.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

There was a TV commercial a year or so ago about a guy playing with the women's field hockey team. When there was a goal scored he got to hug all the girls.