The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 25, 2007, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Tripping in Basketball

Team A Point Guard is dribbling down court on a fast break. Team B defender
is running up behind him and trips him. 2 questions here, First what foul do you
have kicking, blocking, make up your own? Second what signal is used again
kicking, blocking, make up your own? I saw this happen in the Varsity Game and
nothing was called. Was nothing called because we down have a signal or the
defense never gained a advantage because Team A recovered the loose ball.
What would be your call and signal.

Thanks for your time
Third year Referee
Old Tue Dec 25, 2007, 02:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Probably any player that make a dribbler fall and they are behind, I am probably going to go with a push call. College mechanics actually have the "tripping" signal and you could use that appropriately. But because this sounded like a HS game that might not go over very well.

Also I have no idea why there was not a call, I was not there. Maybe the official felt there was no contact. Or maybe the official missed it. That does happen you know.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 25, 2007, 02:19pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

B should be called for a foul here. Just because you're not sure what signal to use, you still have to call it. A push I would call.

As for why there was no whistle, I can't say as I did not talk to the officials on the game.
Old Tue Dec 25, 2007, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

If it's a blatant trip, wouldn't you call that an intentional foul as well? A regular trip I would just call a push as well...
Old Tue Dec 25, 2007, 02:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM_Ref
If it's a blatant trip, wouldn't you call that an intentional foul as well? A regular trip I would just call a push as well...
You can call an intentional foul on all kinds of things (heck, why not a flagrant foul). But let us not go that far without having some idea as to what actually happen. We are not going to get that answer by reading about it on a discussion board.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 25, 2007, 03:16pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Knowing there is no "trip" call in HS, I always use the "push" signal. Obviously, an advantage was created, and I feel you have to call something as it usually is very obvious.
Old Tue Dec 25, 2007, 04:24pm
We don't rent pigs

4-7-1: Blocking is illegal personal contact which impedes the progress of an opponent with or without the ball.

Tripping someone impedes his progress. Works for me.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Dec 25, 2007, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
4-7-1: Blocking is illegal personal contact which impedes the progress of an opponent with or without the ball.

Tripping someone impedes his progress. Works for me.
Yea, I usually call tripping a block, but if it's from behind and there's any body contact at all, a push would work just as well. But it's a foul on the defender, even if it's just an "accident" with the feet getting inadvertently tangled. Gotta call it, though not actually seeing the OP, I can't comment on that particular play.
Old Tue Dec 25, 2007, 05:27pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Personally, I'd use either the "over the back" or the "reach" mechanic.
Old Tue Dec 25, 2007, 06:00pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Personally, I'd use either the "over the back" or the "reach" mechanic.
Or my favorite, the creeping death mechanic I see our JV officials use when they say "over the back."

Personally, I'd eliminate all of the mechanics and just give them all 2 minutes in the penalty box for cheating.
Old Tue Dec 25, 2007, 08:12pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Or my favorite, the creeping death mechanic I see our JV officials use when they say "over the back."

Personally, I'd eliminate all of the mechanics and just give them all 2 minutes in the penalty box for cheating.
Or...you could call a balk.
Old Tue Dec 25, 2007, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

A little twist

A1 has the ball and is dribbling up court. He dribbles past B2 who is jogging up the court and makes no real attempt at stopping A1. As A1 goes past B2 he dribbles into the direct line that B2 is jogging. As he cuts in, B2 and A1s feet obviously touch as A1 goes down to the floor like a sack of potatoes. Coach of A is crying murder! Says, "That's a call every time ref!" Foul on B2 for tripping? Or, no call as A1 was primarily responsible for the contact? We had this in a recent game and had no call. I was the trail and could not see the contact as I was screened by B2. At the next TO, we discussed and both the C and L said they didn't see the play, just heard the kid hit the court. Trip? Push? No call?

Last edited by lmeadski; Tue Dec 25, 2007 at 08:23pm.
Old Tue Dec 25, 2007, 08:21pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmeadski
A1 has the ball and is dribbling up court. He dribbles past B2 who is jogging up the court and makes no real attempt at stopping A1. As A1 goes past B2 he dribbles into the direct line that B2 is jogging. As he cuts in, B2 and A1s feet obviously touch as A1 goes down to the floor like a sack of potatoes. Coach of A is crying murder! Foul on B2 for tripping? Or, no call as A1 was primarily responsible for the contact? We had this in a recent game and had no call. I was the trail and could not see the contact as I was screened by B2. At the next TO, we discussed and both the C and L said they didn't see the play, just heard the kid hit the court. Trip? Push? No call?
I'm sure you realize this is one of those "you'd have to be there" decisions, but on the surface, this is what it sounds like to me:

Old Tue Dec 25, 2007, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A1 has the ball and is dribbling up court. He dribbles past B2 who is jogging up the court and makes no real attempt at stopping A1. As A1 goes past B2 he dribbles into the direct line that B2 is jogging. As he cuts in, B2 and A1s feet obviously touch as A1 goes down to the floor like a sack of potatoes.
No call ... but, what about a foul on A1? Maybe not with the way the contact was described, but what if he plows into the side of B2?

If he goes to the floor with ball in possesion - you could have a travel!
Old Tue Dec 25, 2007, 10:07pm
Administrator

Quote:
A1 has the ball and is dribbling up court. He dribbles past B2 who is jogging up the court and makes no real attempt at stopping A1. As A1 goes past B2 he dribbles into the direct line that B2 is jogging. As he cuts in, B2 and A1s feet obviously touch as A1 goes down to the floor like a sack of potatoes. Coach of A is crying murder! Says, "That's a call every time ref!" Foul on B2 for tripping? Or, no call as A1 was primarily responsible for the contact? We had this in a recent game and had no call. I was the trail and could not see the contact as I was screened by B2. At the next TO, we discussed and both the C and L said they didn't see the play, just heard the kid hit the court. Trip? Push? No call?

This is an easy call. Under both NFHS, NCAA, and FIBA rules this is a blocking foul by A1 for not giving time and distance in setting a screen against a moving B2. The foul is a player control foul.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio