The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Team or player control? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/40523-team-player-control.html)

WhistlesAndStripes Thu Dec 20, 2007 01:20pm

Team or player control?

Player A1 is dribbling, closely guarded, at the top of the key. He picks up his dribble, and is still closely guarded. As I get to 4 in my count, he turns toward the back court, away from the defender, and simply drops the ball. As defender B1 attempts to get around him to retrieve the ball, A1 pushes him. I call the foul.

Is there team player control during this time that the ball is bouncing after he has dropped it, and is this a team control or player control foul? Please cite rule references to support your answer.

Jurassic Referee Thu Dec 20, 2007 01:28pm

Team control foul. Rule 4-12-3&4.

WhistlesAndStripes Thu Dec 20, 2007 01:42pm

Thanks. I forgot to look it up when I got home last night. After it happened, I wasn't sure, but there was an interesting followup to this as well.

The play in question occurred with 31 seconds left in the quarter. It was the 7th team foul. We did not shoot FTs, but after the ensuing throw-in, there was not another dead ball until the break. So it could have been a correctable error up to the start of the next quarter. I discussed it with my partner and we decided it was a Team Control foul. Otherwise we could have started the next quarter with the FTs.

Grail Thu Dec 20, 2007 02:27pm

Team Control or Player Control doesn't matter. The penalty is the same. We don't shoot on either one.

IREFU2 Fri Dec 21, 2007 02:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grail
Team Control or Player Control doesn't matter. The penalty is the same. We don't shoot on either one.

Cant be player control......he doesnt have control of the ball!!!!

Adam Fri Dec 21, 2007 02:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IREFU2
Cant be player control......he doesnt have control of the ball!!!!

That wasn't his point. His point was in the end, it really doesn't matter. The penalty is the same either way.

Camron Rust Fri Dec 21, 2007 04:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
That wasn't his point. His point was in the end, it really doesn't matter. The penalty is the same either way.

Agreed. I think that they should now eliminate the player control foul. It is fully redundant.

The TC definition would need to inlcude the airborne shooter clause (as is in the PC definition) but other than that there is no difference.

bob jenkins Fri Dec 21, 2007 06:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Agreed. I think that they should now eliminate the player control foul. It is fully redundant.

Airborne A1 releases the ball on a try (ending team control) and then fouls B1.

It's a PC foul, even though there's no PC nor TC.

So, the can't just eliminate the PC foul. They could add to the TC foul, and then eliminate it.

Camron Rust Fri Dec 21, 2007 06:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Airborne A1 releases the ball on a try (ending team control) and then fouls B1.

It's a PC foul, even though there's no PC nor TC.

So, the can't just eliminate the PC foul. They could add to the TC foul, and then eliminate it.

Uh, bob, did you skip my next sentence? :) It said exactly that.

Scrapper1 Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:56am

How about eliminating both the PC and TC fouls. Instead use the punch to indicate an "offensive foul" when a common foul is committed:
  • by a player who is holding or dribbling a live ball inbounds;
  • by a teammate of a player who is holding or dribbling a live ball inbounds;
  • by an airborne player who has tapped or released the ball for a try for goal;
  • by a member of the throw-in team between the time the ball is at the disposal of the inbounder and the time the throw-in pass is controlled (held or dribbled) inbounds.

This essentially makes the rule the same as the NBA and NCAA rules, but doesn't make any changes to the definition of team control.

williebfree Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:23am

polite reminder

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
We did not shoot FTs, but after the ensuing throw-in, there was not another dead ball until the break. So it could have been a correctable error up to the start of the next quarter.

Just a polite reminder for those who may forget.... A dead ball occurs after a made FG.