The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 08, 2002, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Okay - I need help quickly!!

I've read through the rules a few times, but don't quite get them. Could someone please explain to me/summarize how to tell the difference between direct and indirects? When the official reports a technical (I hope that won't happen tomorrow!), do they say if it is direct or indirect, or is the scorer expected to know?

(In case you couldn't tell, I might be scoring my first NCAA game ever tomorrow - and it's televised )

[Edited by Mark Dexter on Feb 8th, 2002 at 11:02 PM]
Old Sun Feb 10, 2002, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

The scorer is expected to "know" -- just ask whether the foul counts toward the team and player totals. If it does, it's direct, if not, it's indirect.

Also, notice that the direct fouls are for "unsporting behavior." The more admin or "rules violations" fouls are indirect.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2002, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
The scorer is expected to "know" -- just ask whether the foul counts toward the team and player totals. If it does, it's direct, if not, it's indirect.

Also, notice that the direct fouls are for "unsporting behavior." The more admin or "rules violations" fouls are indirect.
Is it safe to assume that when the official reports, that if he gives a player number or specifies an individual, then it is direct; but if he just reports the infraction, then it is indirect?
Old Sun Feb 10, 2002, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by inkwiziter
Is it safe to assume that when the official reports, that if he gives a player number or specifies an individual, then it is direct; but if he just reports the infraction, then it is indirect?
No. Several illegal acts by players result in indirect T's - i.e., grasping the basket, wearing an illegal jersey, et al. Also, a player is ejected for any combination of 3 T's (3I, 2D 1I, 1D 2I), so they can be charged to the player.

Thankfully there were no technical fouls called (kind of a blowout game). The only real problem was with a TV timeout.