The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Question Testing Formats

I know that at this time of the year most of you are working on floor skills and not into the rule book as much as you are at the first of the season while studying for the NFHS, IAABO, or whatever test you have to take to qualify for the season.

My question has to deal with the format of the test(s) you take. In my neck of the woods we have to take the NFHS test which is written in a True-False format. The IAABO test I also receive is written in a format that gives a situation, the officials action, and then asks if the official was correct for that situation (Yes-No).

I personally have a problem with the NFHS True-False answer format and tend to read things into the question that are not there. Of the questions I missed on the test this year, I actually knew the rule for all but one, but mis-interpeded the question.

Perhaps one of you who knows how to set up a survey could do it for this question. What type of test format do you perfer? True-False or Yes-No.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Neither. I believe that it should be multiple choice A, B, C, or D.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

I like Nevadaref's idea as long as they don't have multilple questions in a question as in the casebook. Otherwise were not going to have 100 Q tests but 400 Q's
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 12:11pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Ranjo - like you, I dislike the T/F questions and read too much into it.... confuses the heck out of me sometimes even though I know the situation and it's literally staring me in the face. Multiple choice might be nice. But, I'm sure they could make that confusing too...... No substitute for getting out there and doing it!
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Yes/No and True/False are the same. If one set of options appeals more to you than the other, then you are definitely over-thinking the questions.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 01:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
Yes/No and True/False are the same. If one set of options appeals more to you than the other, then you are definitely over-thinking the questions.
That's what I was thinking.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 01:46pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Today's quiz question:

True or false - yes/no questions are the same as true/false? If you answer "true", does that mean "yes"?
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Today's quiz question:

True or false - yes/no questions are the same as true/false? If you answer "true", does that mean "yes"?
Perhaps.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
yes .....er....no........er.....false.............wait I know this one ....TRUE
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 02:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Today's quiz question:

D: all of the above.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

E: none of the above - there is no black and white
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjo
I know that at this time of the year most of you are working on floor skills and not into the rule book as much as you are at the first of the season while studying for the NFHS, IAABO, or whatever test you have to take to qualify for the season.

My question has to deal with the format of the test(s) you take. In my neck of the woods we have to take the NFHS test which is written in a True-False format. The IAABO test I also receive is written in a format that gives a situation, the officials action, and then asks if the official was correct for that situation (Yes-No).

I personally have a problem with the NFHS True-False answer format and tend to read things into the question that are not there. Of the questions I missed on the test this year, I actually knew the rule for all but one, but mis-interpeded the question.

Perhaps one of you who knows how to set up a survey could do it for this question. What type of test format do you perfer? True-False or Yes-No.
I would like to see situational question and answer a, b, c, or d. To me, this is the best way to get the knowledge in your head. On true/false, one word can make it either t/f.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
I would like to see situational question and answer a, b, c, or d. To me, this is the best way to get the knowledge in your head. On true/false, one word can make it either t/f.
The nature of the rules is such that it's important to understand the importance of those single words in applying the rules to the game. I don't think the T/F type test is the best way to go, but I think the NFHS does do a decent job of using that format as an instructional tool.

However I feel they frequently do not do a good job of expressing the scope of each question. It is sometimes difficult to know whether a known exception to the rule that isn't mentioned in the question will affect the answer they're looking for.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 02:44pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
D: all of the above.

I once took a urine test that was multiple choice. All the answers were "p".
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
To those of you that may not have taken a test using both formats: Generally the True-False test asks questions about specific rules and the Yes-No format asks questions about specific situations and you must use your rules knowledge to come up with the answer. To me they are not the same.

But I do agree the better you know the rule book the less likely you are to be tripped up by one word in the True-False format.