The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Came across this site......very interesting.

http://www.bbstate.com/officials.php?a=directory

Very interesting to say the least. Here we can track where all of the officials have been. I think that I counted that Steve Welmer worked 16 concecutive nights. I cant believe how much certain officials work. When I work 5 nights a week I am dead dog tired and this is at the high school level, cant imagine working that many nights at the D-1 level. I respect these guys immensely, but is it possible to be sharp as a tack everynight out? Check it out. I find the site very intriguing.

Mightyvol
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

bob knight or some coach was talking about this a month ago I think. Saying how they need to regulate this. I can't see how a ref at the end of the week would have the same level of quality after travel and working multiple nights. they sure have a lot of info there.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 01:51am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpbreeze
bob knight or some coach was talking about this a month ago I think. Saying how they need to regulate this. I can't see how a ref at the end of the week would have the same level of quality after travel and working multiple nights. they sure have a lot of info there.
I think it was at least last year that Knight said these things; and I've never heard Knight expound on officiating when it made sense. Every time he opens his trap about officiating, he shows his ignorance. But he's such a blowhard, I think he actually believes what he's saying.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 01:53am
Do not give a damn!!

We need to put a couple of things in perspective.

There were only a handful of officials that work every night. By far most are not able to do that or would not be given that type of schedule in the first place. Secondly, the officials that work that much (right or wrong) are usually the ones requested. Either the assignors want them there or the supervisors want them there. Supervisors and conferences want officials that will keep them out of trouble at that level. Believe me; they do not want officials that will constantly have to explain publicly mistakes or calls in big games. Unless there is a ground swell with conferences, this is not going to change anytime soon.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 03:03am
Official Forum Member

From that site:
Elias, Charles [4]
Elics, Bhuck [1]

Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 07:29am
Huck Finn

(Here we go again) Before you can be sharp as a tack at the end of the week, you have to be sharp as a tack at the beginning of the week.

I think there is a misconception that is an injustice to many officials. When Rut talks about officials keeping supervisors out of trouble he is exactly right. However, what isn't mentioned is the fact that the refs that are doing these games are making mistakes too. They make mistakes that coaches forgive because they know them. I know for a fact there are guys waiting in the wings that would do just as good or a better job than some officials who work more often than them. Until the coaches can accept not having their desired official every night this will not change. If someone broke down some game film with a coach, the coaches would start to see some thing that would probably surprise them. A coach generally wants to make sure an official will call the same game whether on the road or at home. Little do they know that they could get that with better calls too. I'm in no way saying all officials miss a ton of calls. I'm just saying the there are officials who have been trained to call a good game that must wait too long.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Knight isn't complaining for the "good of the game" -- he's complaining for himself.

If Welmer's 16th game in a row is with Texas Tech, and Knight were asked whether he'd rather have a "tired" Welmer or a "fresh" Jenkins, he'd choose Welmer. He wants the "other schools" to give up Welmer -- and they (rightly) want him to work their games, too.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Coaches, regardless of the sport would rather have the ""devil they know than the one they don't".
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Not sure if this is relevant or not but I'm going to hazzard a guess that the guys working runs of consecutive games in a week don't do anything else during the season.

When I work 4 or 5 high school games in a 7 day stretch, yeah I get tired, maybe burned out a little but I also have a full time job, two kids etc. If all I had to do was ref those games, Im thinking it would be a lot easier to manage.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Looks like they require you to pay - $24.95 a year.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 09:56am
In Memoriam

25 bucks to get something that you can Google anyway? Fuggedaboutit.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 10:09am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
From that site:
Elias, Charles [4]
Elics, Bhuck [1]

I'm not a regular forum participant compared to others that are here, so sometimes I do miss some threads/posts.

I thought we were mentioning Bhuck because of respecting his wishes (recalling his OP some time ago about only being in the beisbol thread) to remain out of the Dx limelight. (Now sure what D he does.)

Only now do I see that one particular game had his name listed incorrectly, thus born Bhuck Elics.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

This is a great find! I'm trying to move my way up the ranks so this can help me understand the amount of games certain officials are getting. It also allows me to keep tabs on some of my mentors and friends. IMO, it is well worth the $25 and it is tax deductible.

There are also some officials out there that say "I ref in the ______ conference" when you wonder if they should even be officiating Varsity HS. Now they can't spout this BS without being found out.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 04:13pm
Lighten up, Francis.

It's interesting that the first time I went to the site, I was able to view it. But now it asks for a subscription. It gives you one free look and then tracks if you've already viewed it?
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 04:53pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
It's interesting that the first time I went to the site, I was able to view it. But now it asks for a subscription. It gives you one free look and then tracks if you've already viewed it?
Unless you are Bhuck Elics - then you can get on all those pay-to-view sites for free. That guy gets all the breaks.