The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   How long before your first T to a coach? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/40376-how-long-before-your-first-t-coach.html)

kblehman Fri Dec 14, 2007 03:28pm

How long before your first T to a coach?

I have just 2 years of experience, so I really enjoy reading members' accounts of situations and rulings. The "T" stories are especially interesting to me because it's helped me understand how you veterans handle ugly situations, what deserves an immediate "T", what deserves a warning, etc.

Two years of being in stripes -- working about 250 games (counting tournaments) -- and I still haven't given out my first technical to a coach. I've been close only twice. Perhaps I have a long fuse, or maybe I've just been lucky?

Question for everyone who has dished out a "T" to a coach:
How long, or how many games had you officiated, before giving that first one out?

RSmith Fri Dec 14, 2007 03:34pm

Last night

My first year - I was hoping to be proud of having a long fuse - might be the wrong philosophy as an official - I made it to game 6!~:)

TheOracle Fri Dec 14, 2007 03:39pm

I have given 6 in 15 years to coaches. You may have a long fuse, or you may have great people or mediation skills. You'll know when you have to do it. Hopefully, you never will!

Adam Fri Dec 14, 2007 03:41pm

Hoping you never have to do it is like hoping your young daughter doesn't turn into a hormonal teenager. It's futile.

Bearfanmike20 Fri Dec 14, 2007 03:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Hoping you never have to do it is like hoping your young daughter doesn't turn into a hormonal teenager. It's futile.

ok.... so we've had one family fued and one darth vader reference today.

blindzebra Fri Dec 14, 2007 03:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOracle
I have given 6 in 15 years to coaches. You may have a long fuse, or you may have great people or mediation skills. You'll know when you have to do it. Hopefully, you never will!

Not a lot of coaches in mens rec leagues huh?

As has been stated in other threads on this topic...don't worry about giving a T, most good officials have spent far more time thinking about T's that they should have given than ones that they have given out.

You need to find your line that can't be crossed and always take care of business when it is crossed...it really is that simple...that and ignore whatever the oracle says.;)

Goofyfor3 Fri Dec 14, 2007 03:48pm

I coached for 14 years (stop throwing things at me) and have finally turned to the bright side. This is my first year officiating (and my first post as well). I have not given a T yet (15 games at various lower levels) and am not sure that I have a long fuse, but use my previous experiences have led me to inform coaches when they are beginning to get near a line they do not want to cross. I must have received (earned) seven technicals in my first three years of coaching - and happily only one during my final eleven seasons. I realized (after three years - whoops long time) that I must recognize what events in the game in which I have control and leave all the other occurrences to those in which it is their responsibility.

Back In The Saddle Fri Dec 14, 2007 03:51pm

I made it three quarters before giving my first one. :D

Back In The Saddle Fri Dec 14, 2007 03:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goofyfor3
I coached for 14 years (stop throwing things at me) and have finally turned to the bright side. This is my first year officiating (and my first post as well). I have not given a T yet (15 games at various lower levels) and am not sure that I have a long fuse, but use my previous experiences have led me to inform coaches when they are beginning to get near a line they do not want to cross. I must have received (earned) seven technicals in my first three years of coaching - and happily only one during my final eleven seasons. I realized (after three years - whoops long time) that I must recognize what events in the game in which I have control and leave all the other occurrences to those in which it is their responsibility.

Welcome to the light side :) I'm glad you shared your story. A lot of new guys just don't realize that new coaches also have to learn where the line is, and ought to be given a T when it's deserved.

TheOracle Fri Dec 14, 2007 04:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindzebra
Not a lot of coaches in mens rec leagues huh?

As has been stated in other threads on this topic...don't worry about giving a T, most good officials have spent far more time thinking about T's that they should have given than ones that they have given out.

You need to find your line that can't be crossed and always take care of business when it is crossed...it really is that simple...that and ignore whatever the oracle says.;)

Boy, an attempt at a personal insult and very much aligned with my philosophy? Wow...:D Your advice is outstanding.

Red_Killian Fri Dec 14, 2007 04:11pm

One of my focus items this year is to give the coaches the T's they earn. Whether it's ranting and raving or repeatedly being out of their box, it's just another call. I'll continue to deal with coaches with respect and make every effort to avoid the T via talking or warnings but I have defined a line and over the line, even an inch, will be a T. I'm going to treat it like OB. So far this year after about 10 games, one T in a JUCO game.

Back In The Saddle Fri Dec 14, 2007 04:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOracle
Boy, an attempt at a personal insult and very much aligned with my philosophy? Wow...:D Your advice is outstanding.

And apparently your philosophy is improving. :cool:

archer Fri Dec 14, 2007 04:19pm

2:15 seconds in to the first quarter of my very first varsity game. Counting T's is like a tin horn gunfighter cutting notches in his gun. I dont keep up with them, but I hand them out like candy on Halloween! 90% of HS coaches are idiots and do not know the rules. They are supposed to attend the state clinics to know the rule changes... But instead of going to learn the game, they send the waterboy or the janitor. So in turn, when one of these morons that tax payers are subsidising acts up. I wack him! And if one isnt good enough. I wack him again and send him to the time out corner!!!!! If they dont take the time to become educated to benefit the kids. Im not taking the time to listen to him rant about a moving screen!!!!!!!! Give me a break coach!!! Read the damn rule book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bearfanmike20 Fri Dec 14, 2007 04:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by archer
2:15 seconds in to the first quarter of my very first varsity game. Counting T's is like a tin horn gunfighter cutting notches in his gun. I dont keep up with them, but I hand them out like candy on Halloween! 90% of HS coaches are idiots and do not know the rules. They are supposed to attend the state clinics to know the rule changes... But instead of going to learn the game, they send the waterboy or the janitor. So in turn, when one of these morons that tax payers are subsidising acts up. I wack him! And if one isnt good enough. I wack him again and send him to the time out corner!!!!! If they dont take the time to become educated to benefit the kids. Im not taking the time to listen to him rant about a moving screen!!!!!!!! Give me a break coach!!! Read the damn rule book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow.. thats a strong stance.

archer Fri Dec 14, 2007 04:43pm

Im sick and tired of going to the state meetings only to see the trainer, janitor or some other representative that has no interest in knowing the rules. I wish I had a dollar for every coach that has yelled " watch the moving screen!" Bascially what it boils down to is that we the taxpayers are not getting our monies worth from coaches and school employees. If we turned out a product in the private sector like the schools that turn out their products. We would be out of business. So Yea, its a strong stance because Im tired of the idiot coaches that try and manipulate officals with their tripe they spout out during a game!!!!