The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

NF Part II

NF Part II #61:

"It is a violation if jumper A1 catches the tapped ball before it has touched the floor."

Correct answer given is T - what if it doesn't touch the floor, but touches a nonjumper, a basket or backboard?
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
NF Part II #61:

"It is a violation if jumper A1 catches the tapped ball before it has touched the floor."

Correct answer given is T - what if it doesn't touch the floor, but touches a nonjumper, a basket or backboard?
Has the ball been touch by the jumpers? If not, then you will have to toss it again
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budjones05
Has the ball been touch by the jumpers? If not, then you will have to toss it again
Well it says catches the "tapped ball", so I am assuming that it was tapped by one of the jumpers...am I just reading the question wrong?
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
NF Part II #61:

Don't read anything into the question that is not printed.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Don't read anything into the question that is not printed.
Ball is tapped to B2 who taps it up in the air and it is grabbed by B1 who was one of the jumpers...the ball never hit the floor and it is not a violation - I don't get what I am reading into the question? It must be something, but I'm not seeing it?
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ball is tapped to B2 who taps it up in the air and it is grabbed by B1 who was one of the jumpers...the ball never hit the floor and it is not a violation - I don't get what I am reading into the question? It must be something, but I'm not seeing it?
The OP said nothing about it hitting the floor. It just asked a simple question. You are reading too many taps. Tapped ball, as in legally tapping the jump ball like both jumpers normally attempt to do, and jumper A1 catches it. It's not tapped to another player to again taps it and then A1 catches it. Where do you get B2? Once you get into the what if, you are reading into it. Answer the question as written - you'll consistently score higher.

Last edited by Mregor; Thu Dec 13, 2007 at 11:19pm.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor
The OP said nothing about it hitting the floor. It just asked a simple question. You are reading too many taps. Tapped ball, as in legally tapping the jump ball like both jumpers normally attempt to do, and jumper A1 catches it. It's not tapped to another player to again taps it and then A1 catches it. Where do you get B2? Once you get into the what if, you are reading into it. Answer the question as written - you'll consistently score higher.
??? The OP specifically references the ball touching the floor! I understand what you are saying, all I am saying is that the real answer to the question is "not necessarily", it isn't T or F....I scored 96 and this is the only one of the four I didn't get that is questionable to me....the question states that it is T that it is a violation for a jumper to catch a tapped ball before it hits the floor...all I am saying is that it could be true, but it also could be false...just one of those questions I guess, I know they aren't always clear cut...
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
??? The OP specifically references the ball touching the floor! I understand what you are saying, all I am saying is that the real answer to the question is "not necessarily", it isn't T or F....I scored 96 and this is the only one of the four I didn't get that is questionable to me....the question states that it is T that it is a violation for a jumper to catch a tapped ball before it hits the floor...all I am saying is that it could be true, but it also could be false...just one of those questions I guess, I know they aren't always clear cut...
My mistake, I meant hitting another player, your B2. The rest I stand behind. You are assuming other facts not presented. If they don't say it hit another player first, it didn't and you shouldn't assume it did or answer what if...
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 04:02am
Official Forum Member

The question states that the ball was tapped. Tapping is a touch by a jumper. Furthermore, since nothing else appears in the question that is the only action that has taken place. Nothing else has happended with the ball before one of the jumpers catches it.

You are reading other stuff into it, specifically you are saying what if the ball touches or was touched by another player. Since the question doesn't say that it was, then it wasn't.

Go with what the question says and that is that the ball was tapped. That's all.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys..I'm sure you're right, I am just a bit hard headed I guess.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well it says catches the "tapped ball", so I am assuming that it was tapped by one of the jumpers...am I just reading the question wrong?
And, if it hit someone or something else, it's no longer a tapped ball. (No, you won't find that specifically in the rules book -- just in the "how to take a test" lessons of life.)

If you substitute "jump ball" for "tapped ball" though, you will find it in the book.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
And, if it hit someone or something else, it's no longer a tapped ball. (No, you won't find that specifically in the rules book -- just in the "how to take a test" lessons of life.)

If you substitute "jump ball" for "tapped ball" though, you will find it in the book.
Yes I suppose that is the way to look at it...and it does say "the" tapped ball versus "a" tapped ball which I guess makes you lean more towards it referring to the original tap....still a dumb way to word a question - of course I know that a jumper can't catch the jump ball either before or after it is tapped without touching something, it just seems sometimes that they ask these questions sometimes to see how many people they can get to get them wrong...this could have easily been worded differently to still get the point across and avoid the dual meaning...like I said this is the one out of one hundred that I thought was a dumb question, so it's not like I'm that picky!
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Is there a place online where I can find a copy of this test? I'd like to try it...our state doesn't require it.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
NF Part II #61:

Correct answer given is T
True

Quote:
NF Part II #61:

"...what if it doesn't touch the floor, but touches a nonjumper, a basket or backboard?
After the jump ball is tapped by any of the 2 jumpers and then touches any of the players, the floor, a basket, or backboard, all jump ball restrictions are off.

But, if I remember correctly (help me if I'm wrong), a jumper cannot leave the circle until one of those occur, also? At least that's what I tell my jumper...
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP
But, if I remember correctly (help me if I'm wrong), a jumper cannot leave the circle until one of those occur, also? At least that's what I tell my jumper...
The jumpers can leave the center circle once the ball has been touched.