The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Did I handle my mistake correctly? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/40339-did-i-handle-my-mistake-correctly.html)

rainmaker Thu Dec 13, 2007 02:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
MS here says no press until the last minute of each half, and then only by the team trailing (or maybe it's by the team not leading, not sure). It's actually defined as backcourt defense (including throwins).

Penalty?
1. Talk to the defense.
2. Talk to the defense.
3. Blow it dead, give the ball to A for a throwin.
4. If it's a repeated problem, a T can be issued.

All that for $12.50/game?

No big if it's running clock. Helps keep from getting out of breath!

Adam Thu Dec 13, 2007 02:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
No big if it's running clock. Helps keep from getting out of breath!

Actually, it is running clock; and you generally get three games per appointment. problem is, though, that they all start at 3:30, and I can't justify leaving work that early for that pay; especially when checks don't come for 4 or 5 weeks afterwards.

I did hear they got a raise this year; but I'll have to take their word for it. :)

rngrck Thu Dec 13, 2007 03:05pm

Speaking of-- I did a game the other nite where team A was blowing out Team B and A continually pressed even with the big lead. My partner went over to the coach and asked him politely to stop the press against the other inferior team. He agreed. Is this proper official ettiquette?
BYW final score 70 - 6!!!

Jurassic Referee Thu Dec 13, 2007 03:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rngrck
Speaking of-- I did a game the other nite where team A was blowing out Team B and A continually pressed even with the big lead. My partner went over to the coach and asked him politely to stop the press against the other inferior team. He agreed. Is this proper official ettiquette?

No. It's wrong. We officiate. They coach.

If we don't want coaches telling us how to do our job, then we shouldn't be telling coaches how to do their jobs.

Stat-Man Thu Dec 13, 2007 05:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chartrusepengui
I really hate different sets of rules for every conference/gym but especially HATE them when you are informed of some rule, and are expected to enforce it - but there is no penalty whatsoever. :eek: No penalty - fahgedaboudit! :rolleyes:

When I get into a gym I have always wanted to ask if they are using any of the Fed rules or if they go strictly with their own book. :D

Our CYO League has a no press rule and the first offense is a warning and subsequent violations are supposed to be a bench tech. When a team can't press, they are supposed to let the team bring the ball across half court and they cannot trap except inside the 3-point line.

But I've only seen one official in 10 years have the cajones to enforce the rule as written. :( So as a result, teams violate it without much impunity knowing all that will happen is a stoppage of play. If coaches got whacked and seatbelted as the rule calls for, they'd either get the hint (or start whining about the enforcement :p ).