The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Run the baseline (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/4030-run-baseline.html)

MOFFICIAL Wed Feb 06, 2002 07:17pm

I have a question.
Field goal try by A1 is in the air. Players A2 and B2 trying for rebound position. A2 pushes B2 and the field goal is good. I'm counting the field goal and have a push on A2 and the foul is common (No free throws). Does Team B have a spot throw in or can they run the endline?
I know if the foul had occured after B had the ball for a throw-in after the basket B would still have the endline if the foul occured where the throw-in location would be on the endline but this is a little twist.
Please reply with rulebook/casebook reference.

BigJoe Wed Feb 06, 2002 07:41pm

Run the baseline

MOFFICIAL:

In my humble opinion the rule reference is 5-1 art.5. The new rule where you don't lose the baseline on a foul or violation by the opposing team doesn't apply here because it only applies on the ensuing throw-in. So I would say the foul dictates a spot throw-in.

PAULK1 Wed Feb 06, 2002 08:26pm

SEE NF Casebook play 7.5.7 see if you see any similarities
to your play. I believe he can still run the baseline.

Slider Wed Feb 06, 2002 09:21pm

Quote:

Originally posted by PAULK1
SEE NF Casebook play 7.5.7 see if you see any similarities
to your play. I believe he can still run the baseline.

This is interesting; if you hadn't brought up the case I would be certain that the answer was no.

In 7-5-7 it says a "foul on the ensuing throw-in"; which seems to clearly imply fouls at or after the ball is at the thrower's disposal.

However, 7.5.7A clearly refutes that. So, I will go with PAULK1, and say that you can still run the baseline.

Apparently, if there is a non-shooting foul by A anytime after the ball is in-flight on a try, until the ensuing throw-in ends, then B retains the right to run the endline.

BigJoe Wed Feb 06, 2002 09:45pm

This rule is one more reason that our sport is by far the hardest to officiate. I made my post looking only at the NF rule book. Clearly rule 7-5-5 and 7-5-7 don't allow for the team to have the baseline. The words A team retains this priveledge if the scoring team commits a violation or foul (before the bonus is in effect) on the ensuing throw-in if the resulting throw -in spot would be on the endline.

The rule clearly states that the violation or foul must occur during the throw in. The rule was put in just so a team can't circumvent another from running the baseline. Our case here has nothing to do with the reason the provision was instituted.

The casebook 7-5-7a uses goaltending which results in a made basket. I doubt that the casebook would be the same for a common foul during the shot.

PAULK1 Wed Feb 06, 2002 10:00pm

I believe this is within the reason the new rule was adapted
look at it this way if A1 makes the shot A scores 2 points and there is no foul B gets the ball OOB with the right to run the baseline but if A1 makes a shot and there is a foul by A2 during the shot A still scores 2 points but now B must inbound from the spot. Besides adding a team foul to A
haven't we just punished the inbounding team for being fouled....

BktBallRef Wed Feb 06, 2002 10:23pm

B gets to run the endline.

From the NFHS Basketball Interpretations

SITUATION #3: While A1's three-point field goal attempt is in flight, A3 fouls B1 (B is not in the bonus) near the bottom block area. The three-point field goal attempt is successful.
RULING: Score the three-point goal for A1. Team B will be permitted to run the end line on the ensuing throw-in. (5-7-7 Exp (2); 7-5-7)

I agree that the rule needs to be worded better.

But hey, there are a bunch of rules that need to be worded better. :)

MOFFICIAL Fri Feb 08, 2002 12:10pm

Thanks for all of the input. I believe now I blew my call.
I administered a spot throw-in. But from now on it's endline privledge.
I just love this forum!!

BigJoe Sun Feb 10, 2002 09:07am

I still have a problem with allowing the running of the baseline on this play. What if the foul occurs outsite the arc? The spot for the throw-in is on the sideline and not the baseline. It seems to me that if we have a spot throw-in for that situation it should be the same on the baseline. I don't think any coach is going to argue either way! It is nice to get it right, though.

Slider Sun Feb 10, 2002 10:39am

Quote:

Originally posted by BigJoe
I still have a problem with allowing the running of the baseline on this play. What if the foul occurs outsite the arc? The spot for the throw-in is on the sideline and not the baseline. It seems to me that if we have a spot throw-in for that situation it should be the same on the baseline. I don't think any coach is going to argue either way! It is nice to get it right, though.
You are absolutely correct, if the spot is to be on a sideline or the other endline, then use the spot.

MOFFICIAL Sun Feb 10, 2002 11:41am

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
B gets to run the endline.

From the NFHS Basketball Interpretations

SITUATION #3: While A1's three-point field goal attempt is in flight, A3 fouls B1 (B is not in the bonus) near the bottom block area. The three-point field goal attempt is successful.
RULING: Score the three-point goal for A1. Team B will be permitted to run the end line on the ensuing throw-in. (5-7-7 Exp (2); 7-5-7)

I agree that the rule needs to be worded better.

But hey, there are a bunch of rules that need to be worded better. :)

Where does one get a copy of the NFHS Basketball Interpretations?

BktBallRef Sun Feb 10, 2002 12:15pm

One need only to go to http://www.nfhs.org/sports/basketball_interp.htm

crew Sun Feb 10, 2002 06:20pm

if you put the ball sideout on the throw in you dont have to worry about running the baseline. that is if the foul occurred near the sideline.