The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Had a middle school game this weekend, one team (say B) way behind (about 20 points). In the first half, every time A team would make a mistake, bad shot, whatever, the team B bench kids would do this little "ha, ha" routine. It was kind of a nasal, sneering tone of voice. If they had been twenty points up, I'd have T'd them for taunting. As it was I warned them first. Coach seemed kind of surprised that I even noticed, but didn't complain. They didn't do it anymore, and they lost by 45.

Does anyone disagree that taunting isn't restricted to the winning team? ( Ihope there are the right number of negatives in that question!)
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 02:26pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Had a middle school game this weekend, one team (say B) way behind (about 20 points). In the first half, every time A team would make a mistake, bad shot, whatever, the team B bench kids would do this little "ha, ha" routine. It was kind of a nasal, sneering tone of voice. If they had been twenty points up, I'd have T'd them for taunting. As it was I warned them first. Coach seemed kind of surprised that I even noticed, but didn't complain. They didn't do it anymore, and they lost by 45.

Does anyone disagree that taunting isn't restricted to the winning team? ( Ihope there are the right number of negatives in that question!)
Jewel,
I agree that taunting is taunting regardless of the score.
I also agree with your recognition and warning of the "lit fuse".
Good job.
mick
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Taunting is taunting. It is always a T, regardless of score. First, it is poor sportsmanship, which in itself is a T. Second, it is a step beyond your run of the mill sportsmanship issue, because it can escalate into more serious problems. A1 misses three shots in a row, loudmouth B6 on the bench is more than happy to taunt them despite their 20 point deficit, B6 subsequently enters game and A1 gets into it with B6. Pretty clear where it all started. Prevent it from happening. Warn them if you feel that it is warranted, then hit them with the T.

Personally, if it was over the edge already, you could send a good message in a blowout game by just hitting them with the T. You certainly wouldn't feel like you decided the outcome! You may be more cautious if you have to file a 5 page report, but if not, in a MS game, you might teach them something about acceptable conduct by delivering the penalty rather than just a warning.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 05:31pm
9 times

Generally, bench pesonnel will get a warning (done through the head coach) before they will get a T. No warning for flagrant, intentional, obscene, threatening, etc. Let the coach handle his bench, if he can, if he can't then penalize.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
GOOD JOB!!

Generally bring it to the coache's attention first, and if he/she doesn't take care of it, then "T". That way he/she won't be surprised. I had a situation last friday where I had to eject a kid after getting back to back t's (he told me "YOU f--king suck" after the first one) and this happened AFTER I warned the coach about his mouth. Didn't have as much flak after I warned him about this kid. I guess he has been acting the fool most of the year and I was one of the few Div 1 referees to referee this team's game. The school has been very sucessful and young officials put up with too much thinking they won't come back. Great job though!!
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking of taunting, I had a middle school girl's game yesterday afternoon. My partner was a first year rookie. She brought it to my attention that one of the players had "#22 kicks a$$" written on her arm with a marker. My partner asked if that was a T. I told her that if she thought it was a T, then I would back her all the way on it. My partner by the way, has never called a T. She told me a few weeks ago that she's trying to get through the season "clean" and not call one. I (jokingly) told her to ask the player what the writing says on her arm says and when she tells you, then throw the T. My partner asked me to call the T and I told her it was her call. What she finally ended up doing was telling the coach to tell the player to remove it.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2002, 10:05pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Good goin'!

Quote:
Originally posted by daves
Speaking of taunting, I had a middle school girl's game yesterday afternoon. My partner was a first year rookie. She brought it to my attention that one of the players had "#22 kicks a$$" written on her arm with a marker. My partner asked if that was a T. I told her that if she thought it was a T, then I would back her all the way on it. My partner by the way, has never called a T. She told me a few weeks ago that she's trying to get through the season "clean" and not call one. I (jokingly) told her to ask the player what the writing says on her arm says and when she tells you, then throw the T. My partner asked me to call the T and I told her it was her call. What she finally ended up doing was telling the coach to tell the player to remove it.
daves,
I think you, and your partner, handled that wonderfully well.
mick