The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Button-Hook

As the trail, I got beat on a steal, so I tried to get an angle and realized I didn't have one. I slipped in behind the play, because their wasn't anyone following the play. I didn't cross the play, just looked in behind it enough to see if there was contact and then shot back to my lead position. No contact, nuff said.

After the game, my partner who is a seasoned veterean, told me not to button-hook. I gave him my reason for what I had done and explained that it wasn't a full button-hook, switch. I told him they were bumping down the middle and I just didn't have the angle. It was a close game and I didn't want to miss the call. Maybe I was wrong, but sometimes, to get the correct call, you might have to move to a better position. Do you think I was wrong?
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspaul
As the trail, I got beat on a steal, so I tried to get an angle and realized I didn't have one. I slipped in behind the play, because their wasn't anyone following the play. I didn't cross the play, just looked in behind it enough to see if there was contact and then shot back to my lead position. No contact, nuff said.

After the game, my partner who is a seasoned veterean, told me not to button-hook. I gave him my reason for what I had done and explained that it wasn't a full button-hook, switch. I told him they were bumping down the middle and I just didn't have the angle. It was a close game and I didn't want to miss the call. Maybe I was wrong, but sometimes, to get the correct call, you might have to move to a better position. Do you think I was wrong?
I've been told TO button-hook in this sitch, but you've got to be sure you can really get back down to the endline in time. It's rough to get caught there in the middle of the play and have to dodge players to get into position. If you can pull it off, why NOT? I'd be interested in why he told you no.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
I would have no problem with you "hooking." Luckily in NCAA-W, they pretty much have told us get wherever you have to, in order to see the play. So, if you get a better angle by doing that, I say do it. But, remember you gotta get back to our "home" positions.

CLH
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 03:48pm
Lighten up, Francis.

So this veteran is saying that it's better to LOOK good by getting to the endline, even if it means being straight-lined all the way through the play. Smart guy. Put that advice in the circular file.

Go wherever you need to go to see the play.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 04:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Go wherever you need to go to see the play.
Sometimes the simplest advice is the best.

You are wise beyond your years.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Early on, I had a sitch where I tried to get back to beat a fast break after a steal. What I did was run directly between the ball handler and the possible defender. I was the moving screen for an easy lay up.

Be where you need to be (and get out of the way!)