The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Assignor question.

I work till 415 pm, but I also have to pick up my kids after work. I took a game @ 530 on thursday and arranged for my kids to be picked up for that game so I can go strait there. Now I get a call last night from the same assigner and he sais hes got a game on tue at 5:30. I tell him I just cant. I explained that I made special arrangements to do the thurs game, but that it was not my regular schedule. He quickly said ok.. and goodbye.

Did I just blow it.??..

This guy is the main assigner for one of the official organizations here, but I dont want to commit to somthing that I cannot make.

Am I thinking too much about this or what cause I feel like I really missed an oportunity.

By the way. Thursday is my first highschool game. freshman boys a and b teams. All this guy does is highschool assignments.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Who was it? PM me....
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Every assignor is different. I always try to take games any time I can, but most people I've worked with are pretty understanding, especially if you explain why you cannot take a game.

The key is to always be willing to take the games when you can to help your assignor out as much as possible...but you already know that.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 10:52am
Jerry Blum

No, I don't think you blew it. Most of the time, especially if they are calling with only a couple days notice they are just trying to fill an emergency need and if he was quick getting of the phone with you he was probably just moving on to the next guy on his list to get it filled. If you can't work it you can't work it.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

I'm not an assignor, but our assignor gets more upset when you miss or are late for an assignment, than if you turn it down to begin with.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

It depends on the assignor.

That said, Frosh games frequently starts at 4:30 -- 5:30 or so around here. So, if you want to move up to HS ball, then you might have to see if you can change your work / kid schedule (at elast a couple of days a week).
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
It depends on the assignor.

That said, Frosh games frequently starts at 4:30 -- 5:30 or so around here. So, if you want to move up to HS ball, then you might have to see if you can change your work / kid schedule (at elast a couple of days a week).
That will be doable but not till about feb when I get my second car.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 11:55am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
1) Did I just blow it.??..

2) Am I thinking too much about this or what cause I feel like I really missed an oportunity.
1) No

2) Yes

Just make sure that the assignor knows your true parameters when it comes to availability, and don't change those parameters. Knowing when you are usually available makes the assignor's job easier. Turning down assignments after giving him your usual availability will piss him off though.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

YOu schould be OK, but like your on the floor communicate with your assignor.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 03:51pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I don't think you "blew it" either. But, yes, it depends on the assignor.

I have an understanding assignor and I simply tell him there's no way I can get there in time (traffic in my case), and he moves right on to try to get me to fill the next opening.

My experience, limited that it is, is my assignor needs me to fill games, he knows I enjoy doing it, he knows I want to move up, and he knows I will accept a game if I can. I get the impression he would like to keep me "somewhat happy."

We're supposed to move to TheArbiter soon, so we'll see if that helps or hurts, as you can just block out times you can't make......