The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Sarcasm

Ok, I'll admit upfront I screwed up. I forgot the simple rule. Get to the point and tell the coach what you need. Keep it simple. Anything else gives them fuel. I'm sharing my story for the newbies as what not to do.

5th grade basketball. Bench coaches start yelling and screaming because my partner and I didn't call something they wanted called. (This is the first quarter.)

I call the head coach over.

Me: I'm hearing noise from the bench.....

Coach (interrupting): There's no need to be sarcastic!

Me: Don't tell me how to talk. Ask your bench to be quiet. (The last part is all I should have said to start with.)

I think he said something else. The whole time he's got his hand on my shoulder. He complied with my request and we got back to the game.

At halftime, he's talking to my assignor. I said to my partner, "Bet you dollars to donuts he's complaining about me." Sure enough, I found out later, the poor baby was complaining about how terribly sarcastic I was.

As an aside, if I have a coach touch me again like that, what is my recourse?

I'm way out of practice dealing with coaches. I don't get this during baseball season.

Rita
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C
Ask him to buy you dinner. Okay, that was sarcastic.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

I had a female coach grab me from behind while I was in the "C" position and she said " ( my Name ) They can't do that!" Shaking my waist from side to side.

I turn to her and said " coach, get back in your box"

She says " I am in my box"

I moved out of her box.

Problem solved.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
5th grade basketball. Bench coaches start yelling and screaming because my partner and I didn't call something they wanted called. (This is the first quarter.)
My opinion, your first mistake was in simply not T'ing the coach for the yelling and screaming. That kind of behavior is simply unacceptable in my book. Most coaches at this level just need to learn where the boundaries are. It's our ... opportunity to show them.

But since you went the route you did (and of course you were there and I wasn't), once he puts his hand on your shoulder, I think it's gotta be like any other inappropriate behavior from a coach. You address it first. "Coach, take your hand off my shoulder." If he doesn't remove it, toss him.

But really, I think the T right up front would be the way to go.

Just my $0.02
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 11:51pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan

I moved out of her box.

Problem solved.
Way to go, stud........
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

I knew there was irony in that....
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 09:38am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Ok, I'll admit upfront I screwed up. I forgot the simple rule. Get to the point and tell the coach what you need. Keep it simple. Anything else gives them fuel. I'm sharing my story for the newbies as what not to do.

I call the head coach over.

Me: I'm hearing noise from the bench.....

Coach (interrupting): There's no need to be sarcastic!

Me: Don't tell me how to talk. Ask your bench to be quiet. (The last part is all I should have said to start with.)

I think he said something else. The whole time he's got his hand on my shoulder. He complied with my request and we got back to the game.

At halftime, he's talking to my assignor. I said to my partner, "Bet you dollars to donuts he's complaining about me." Sure enough, I found out later, the poor baby was complaining about how terribly sarcastic I was.

I'm way out of practice dealing with coaches. I don't get this during baseball season.

Rita
If you do not wish a coach to touch you, make sure you follow through.

If you board has an established method for communication on issues such as these, follow them. Otherwise, tell the coach yourself, and as soon as you can.

As for your comment, I think it can easily not be considered sarcastic. My personal opinion is that the coach is a bit on edge for 5th graders: why are bench coaches (3?, 4?) complaining about something?

However, I'm not sure that I would have asked the bench to be quiet. They are permitted to cheer, for example. I would have said/reminded the HC that any and all concerns must come through the head coach only, and that ACs/others are not permitted to act as they did. Then tell the HC that this is his/her warning for bench decorum. If you wait a couple of minutes to talk with him/her, s/he will likely have forgotten about the incident a bit and be less concerned about it.

If the HC does ask about something, but not in a polite/courteous manner, you can amend your statement, possibly suggesting that the polite manner was infered.
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Rita, "I'm hearing noise from the bench" doesn't sound all that sarcastic to me. It's not as direct as "you need to tell your bench to be quiet", but it's not dripping with sarcasm either. If I said this, and then the coach said to me, "You don't have to be so sarcastic" I'd say, "I'm not being sarcastic. You need to keep your bench quiet."

I'm afraid I'd be dealing with the hand on my shoulder with undeniable sarcasm, though. Either that or physical re-direction.
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 04:08pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I'm afraid I'd be dealing with the hand on my shoulder with undeniable sarcasm, though. Either that or physical re-direction.
But, Juulie - it's ok for your partner to put his hand, or his head, on your shoulder, isn't it?

Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
It's our ... opportunity to show them.
I like the way you worded this, BITS!