The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   "The turnover" (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/40195-turnover.html)

rainmaker Sat Dec 08, 2007 04:40pm

"The turnover"

It appears that announcers this year have been told to call any violation a turnover. "It's Smith with the turnover." "Ref calls it a turnover" (!!) "Duke knocked it away, but not before the turnover" These were travel calls, double dribbles, bouncing ball on a line. Even a couple of oob calls have been dubbed "turnovers". I haven't heard the word "travel" once, nor violation. Anyone else notice this?

rainmaker Sat Dec 08, 2007 04:58pm

Okay, Billy Packer said, "Ooo, that's a travel!" About 4 minutes left in the first half. I should have known he couldn't go a whole game without a bad call.

rainmaker Sat Dec 08, 2007 05:58pm

okay, a couple of "steps" and a couple of "palming" announcements. Maybe Billy Packer doesn't have to follow the rules?:D

zebraman Sat Dec 08, 2007 06:03pm

Rainmaker. I'm posting just so you don't have to keep talking to yourself. :)

bob jenkins Sat Dec 08, 2007 06:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
Anyone else notice this?

I can't speak for "anyone", but I didn't. ;)

And, I'm 87% certain that violations are turnovers in the stats.

BktBallRef Sat Dec 08, 2007 06:29pm

...as are PC and TC fouls! :)

26 Year Gap Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:01am

Which only goes to show that the only good turnovers are found in the bakery section.

Back In The Saddle Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:05am

If you can reduce the game to plays, baskets, and turnovers, even Billy Packer can speak intelligently about the game.

Okay, I'm just kidding ;)

26 Year Gap Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
If you can reduce the game to plays, baskets, and turnovers, even Billy Packer can speak intelligently about the game.

Okay, I'm just kidding ;)

I'm thiking silent movies where someone else writes the cue cards.

Jimgolf Mon Dec 10, 2007 03:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
okay, a couple of "steps" and a couple of "palming" announcements. Maybe Billy Packer doesn't have to follow the rules?:D

While "steps" and "palming" are not in the rule book, the terms pre-date those who wrote the rule book. They are not incorrect, just slang. Officials shouldn't use these terms, but announcers are entertainers, not educators.

Mark Padgett Mon Dec 10, 2007 04:05pm

Whatever else you do, don't turnover Billy Packer. I'd hate to see what's on the other side. :eek:

Adam Mon Dec 10, 2007 04:08pm

Mold?

just another ref Mon Dec 10, 2007 04:10pm

Was the play-by-play guy in question Brent Musberger? As I recall, he has always been partial to: Whoever, with the turnover!

JRutledge Mon Dec 10, 2007 04:57pm

All violations and steals are considered turnovers in the box score. So the terminology is not wrong. The commentators are looking at the turnover stat as a gauge to who is winning or losing and why they are winning and losing. That is coach and player talk, not officiating talk. This is no different than how in football there is so much focus on 3 and outs. It is just another way to explain what is going on in the game. ;)

Peace

BillyMac Mon Dec 10, 2007 07:28pm

From JRutledge: "All violations and steals are considered turnovers in the box score."

When I coached, we called it a "turnover" everytime we had the ball and didn't get off a shot, so I would add team control and player control fouls to JRutledge's list. I'm not sure about blocked shots, but I think that it's also a turnover.