Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
He, 1st year Frosh coach told me he had been acting like that in his previous 5 or so games and no one said a word about his behavior. He lasted about 1min 20 seconds with me before he got himself dinged. I know it's a coach so take that FWIW but he seemed sincere about his behavior and no one addressing it.
Probably getting 1st or 2nd year refs who don't feel comfortable whacking. I hope you commended him for "tightening up" and also pointed out that the best coaches are the ones who focus on their players and their teams and let the refs call the game.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
Apparently the coach went up to him at halftime and goes "how can the guy T me for my assistant getting a drink of water?!?"
Why do you say that? Couldn't it be that the official just was providing you with feedback? Maybe if you just told him that it was for the actions of the assistant coach, he would have said, "good job, take car of business". Some officials actually try to help others. He didn't get to be a State T-ment official by sucking (or maybe he did, but most likely not).
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor
Why do you say that? Couldn't it be that the official just was providing you with feedback? Maybe if you just told him that it was for the actions of the assistant coach, he would have said, "good job, take car of business". Some officials actually try to help others. He didn't get to be a State T-ment official by sucking (or maybe he did, but most likely not).
I say that because the other official TOLD ME that the coach came over and told him that. Don't get me wrong, I sincerely appreciate all feedback I get from other offiicals, especially ones who have reached his level...my comments were not towards that official, they were towards the coach who made that comment to him without clarifying what led up to the situation...and I did explain the situation to this other official, like I said he seemed to come around to understand why I did what I did, but I wasn't completely sure just by his body language....which was a little suprising actually...
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 02:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

WTH is an official doing questioning a judgment call in the middle of the game? Offering unsolicited advice to a perfect stranger? Just say "thank you."
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 03:29pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
WTH is an official doing questioning a judgment call in the middle of the game? Offering unsolicited advice to a perfect stranger? Just say "thank you."
Then stare at his pants.
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I suppose that is a fair question...I just took it as a guy with a lot of experience trying to help out someone who he thought didn't have any....he thought wrong in that regard, but like I said I am always willing to listen to input from anybody at any level really...and I did end the conversation with "thank you", although I didn't stare at his pants
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Probably getting 1st or 2nd year refs who don't feel comfortable whacking. I hope you commended him for "tightening up" and also pointed out that the best coaches are the ones who focus on their players and their teams and let the refs call the game.

Sometimes this is not entirely true. You have more experienced officials who may not "tighten up inappropriate behavior" too.