The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Jump stop (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/40122-jump-stop.html)

Johnny Ringo Wed Dec 05, 2007 06:42pm

If the player with the ball is dribbling and jumps and while both feet are off the ground lands on two feet they can't have a pivot ... correct?

However, if a player is thrown a pass and and makes a jump stop while catching the ball they can pivot, correct?

If they land one foot first - the first foot to hit the ground is the pivot and can step with the other and shoot or pass.

jdw3018 Wed Dec 05, 2007 06:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo
If the player with the ball is dribbling and jumps and while both feet are off the ground lands on two feet they can't have a pivot ... correct?

However, if a player is thrown a pass and and makes a jump stop while catching the ball they can pivot, correct?

If they land one foot first - the first foot to hit the ground is the pivot and can step with the other and shoot or pass.

Johnny - if the player picks up his dribble while in the air and lands on both feet simultaneously, he can pivot on either foot. Same with catching a pass.

The only time a player can't establish a pivot foot is if he/she picks up a dribble with one foot on the ground, then jumps off that foot onto both feet simultaneously. This is a jump stop as defined in the rules, and the player can then lift one or both feet and shoot or pass, but cannot pivot.

bob jenkins Wed Dec 05, 2007 08:25pm

Quote:

Not quite true. I'll leave it up to you to look in the rules book to figure out why.

Johnny Ringo Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:57pm

That's why we have this board - what's not true. It ha to be a slight miss-wording on my part????????????????

Nevadaref Thu Dec 06, 2007 01:47am

I'd guess that the point that bob is making is that by not landing simultaneously the player may have travelled. It depends upon what happened before that.

Scrapper1 Thu Dec 06, 2007 08:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Not quite true. I'll leave it up to you to look in the rules book to figure out why.

The first foot to touch is not the pivot when it touches the ground. The first foot to touch becomes the pivot when the second foot touches the ground.

Camron Rust Thu Dec 06, 2007 08:52pm

Quote:

Nope, they can even jump off that first foot and land simultaneously on both...legally.

Johnny Ringo Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Nope, they can even jump off that first foot and land simultaneously on both...legally.

I would like to see that play :)

in the air land on one and then jump off that and land on two...the triple jump!

Adam Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:38pm

Quote:

in the air land on one and then jump off that and land on two...the triple jump!

No, it's a jump stop. See it all the time above the age of 15.

Camron Rust Fri Dec 07, 2007 04:14pm

Quote:

Most skilled players (point guards in particular) do this all the time. I see it many (but not all) games...and see it several times in some games.

The first jump is not usually a vertical jump but more of a stride...

...player dribbling down the court such that both feet are off the floor when he/she ends the dribble by catching it. The left foot lands, the player jumps/leaps forward off that foot, then lands on both feet together. Basic jump stop.

Jimgolf Mon Dec 10, 2007 02:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaspaul
In a 2A varsity Boys game

What does that mean as far as skill level? Does Texas use 5A thru 1A? So this would be similar to a class D game in states that use A B C D?

I never can follow state classifications. New Jersey and California have me confused the most.

In NY, AA would be the highest level, followed by A, B, C, and D.

In other states, AA is the next to lowest level, as they go from 6A down to A.

Sorry for the momentary diversion from the thread.