The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

shedding the rust

2nd game of the year...partner called intentional foul, made basket...comes to me and asks how many do we shoot...ouch brain cramp...i say count basket and shoot two...nobody argues and they get the ball back... we clear the lanes and the ball out at poi ...did we get this right?
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Yes. The penalty for an intentional foul is always two shots (lane cleared) and the ball at the spot nearest the foul. Even if the basket is good.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

If a normally shoot 2 and then get the ball on an Intentional Foul, why would you do anything different when it's a made basket? Those are the kind that can really hurt a team.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Yes. The penalty for an intentional foul is always two shots (lane cleared) and the ball at the spot nearest the foul. Even if the basket is good.
Not always - a missed 3 point attempt intentional foul would be 3 shots and ball.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~eyes
Not always - a missed 3 point attempt intentional foul would be 3 shots and ball.
Well, okay. Always, except for that one But the point is that the penalty for an intentional is never reduce to an "and one" if the basket is made.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 05:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverdale
2nd game of the year...partner called intentional foul, made basket...comes to me and asks how many do we shoot...ouch brain cramp...i say count basket and shoot two...nobody argues and they get the ball back... we clear the lanes and the ball out at poi ...did we get this right?
All is correct except for that terminology. It is likely to be the same as the nearest spot to the foul, but doesn't have to be.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 09:18am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverdale
intentional foul, made basket...comes to me and asks how many do we shoot...ouch brain cramp...i say count basket and shoot two...nobody argues and they get the ball back... we clear the lanes and the ball out at poi
All is correct except for that terminology. It is likely to be the same as the nearest spot to the foul, but doesn't have to be.
Nevadaref makes an important point. The original situation is an intentional foul and made basket. The POI after a made basket would be a throw-in for the team that did not score the goal. It's not just about terminology, it's a fundamental difference in how you would resume play.

I realize that they gave the ball to the correct team, but I just wanted to emphasize that POI is never the way to resume after an intentional foul. It's 2 shots (or 3) and possession of the ball at the spot closest to where the foul occurred.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~eyes
So if its a 3 pt basket made.. and an intentional foul... still shooting 2??
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
So if its a 3 pt basket made.. and an intentional foul... still shooting 2??
Of course. Right from the book.