The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   kick ball after basket (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/39894-kick-ball-after-basket.html)

oc Tue Nov 27, 2007 07:55pm

kick ball after basket

Team A scores. B1 throws the ball in and A1 kicks the ball. Spot throw in or running the line?

I think I remember reading a change on this a couple years ago but not sure. My guess is spot throw in on the endline--unless the ball was kicked up court then the ball is put in up where the ball was kicked.

tjones1 Tue Nov 27, 2007 08:09pm

If the throw-in is on the baseline, then B keeps the right to run. The violation on A doesn't negate it -- if it did, it would give A an advantage by committing the violation.

Jurassic Referee Tue Nov 27, 2007 08:14pm

NFHS case book play 7.5.7SitB

Raymond Tue Nov 27, 2007 08:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1
If the throw-in is on the baseline, then B keeps the right to run. The violation on A doesn't negate it -- if it did, it would give A an advantage by committing the violation.

And the same would apply if A committed a common foul along the baseline before the throw-in ended. Team B would still get to run the baseline.

oc Tue Nov 27, 2007 08:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

That's what I've been looking all over for. Thanks.

tjones1 Tue Nov 27, 2007 08:27pm

Well...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
And the same would apply if B committed a common foul along the baseline before the throw-in ended. Team A would still get to run the baseline.

Yeah, if A had the ball, but they just made a basket. Just in case someone is confused...or maybe I am?

IREFU2 Wed Nov 28, 2007 09:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
And the same would apply if B committed a common foul along the baseline before the throw-in ended. Team A would still get to run the baseline.

Hey badnews, where you been hiding?

oc Wed Nov 28, 2007 07:56pm

Quote:

Was this a change (or clarification) from a few years ago? I remember reading about this play before-don't remember where.

Jurassic Referee Wed Nov 28, 2007 09:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by oc
Was this a change (or clarification) from a few years ago? I remember reading about this play before-don't remember where.

It was a clarification in the 2004-05 rule book. The wording was "clarified that a team will retain end-line run privileges after a violation or common foul".

Raymond Mon Dec 03, 2007 02:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1
Yeah, if A had the ball, but they just made a basket. Just in case someone is confused...or maybe I am?

Ooops, let me go back and change it. :o

Nevadaref Mon Dec 03, 2007 03:49am

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by oc
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Quote:

It was a clarification in the 2004-05 rule book. The wording was "clarified that a team will retain end-line run privileges after a violation or common foul".

Before that it was indeed a rule change in the 2001-02 rules book. :)