The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 09:34pm
Courageous When Prudent

Hypothetical: Tech before leaving court

Fed rules. 4th quarter. Scored tied.

A1 shoots 3-pointer just before buzzer, B1 fouls in act right before horns sounds but officials can't determine how many 10th of seconds should be on clock so A1 shoots free throws with line cleared and no time on clock.

A1 misses 1st free throw. A1 makes 2nd free throw and officials blow whistle to terminate game. As official run past Team A's bench Team A's coach yells out "About F***ing time y'all got a call right".

What do you do?
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

2.2.4 SITUATION A: The score is Team A-62 and Team B-61 when the horn sounds to end the fourth quarter. Prior to the referee's approval of the final score, the coach of Team A directs obscene gestures at the officials. RULING: A technical foul is charged and the result of the free throws will determine which team wins or whether an extra period is required. (5-6-2 Exception 4; 10-4-1c)

Last edited by Nevadaref; Wed Nov 21, 2007 at 10:23pm.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 10:00pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
That's what the book says to do. But how many would actually do it?
Old Wed Nov 21, 2007, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

I certainly wouldn't allow some coach to curse at me as I'm leaving and not be penalized for it. Depending upon what is said, I would strongly consider a flagrant technical foul.
Old Thu Nov 22, 2007, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

I believe that the question isn't should you call the T. I believe that the question is does A1 get to shoot his final free throw?

I say yes although there was a game in my area where a very similar play happened and the coach got the T after the time ran out in the 4th. His team was not awarded its remaining free throws. He appealed to the section office and lost the appeal.
Old Thu Nov 22, 2007, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseltser
I believe that the question isn't should you call the T. I believe that the question is does A1 get to shoot his final free throw?

I say yes although there was a game in my area where a very similar play happened and the coach got the T after the time ran out in the 4th. His team was not awarded its remaining free throws. He appealed to the section office and lost the appeal.
A shoots his final FT, then B shoots FTs for the T, and then we see whether OT is needed.
Old Thu Nov 22, 2007, 12:31am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
A shoots his final FT, then B shoots FTs for the T, and then we see whether OT is needed.
Agreed. Pretty simple answer, really.
Old Thu Nov 22, 2007, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

A1 shoots his final free throw & B shoots the T.
Old Thu Nov 22, 2007, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

So does the case book.

5.6.2 SITUATION H: Team A is leading 61-60. B1 fouls A1 in the act of shooting as time expires. As the officials approach the scorer's table, the Team A coach rushes the floor and begins screaming obscenities at the officials. RULING: A flagrant technical foul is assessed to the Team A coach. The foul at the expiration of time is no longer ignored. The flagrant technical foul on the Team A coach created a false double foul situation, which may affect the outcome of the game. The penalties are administered in the order in which they occurred. With the lane cleared, A1 shoots two free throws for being fouled in the act of shooting. If both are successful, the game is over. If one or both are missed, an eligible player from Team B shoots the two technical foul free throws. The free throws will determine the outcome of the game or an extra period will be played. COMMENT: Jurisdiction of the officials is terminated when all officials leave the visual confines of the playing area. While the preferred action would be for all officials to immediately leave the playing area, such an observable action by the coach should be penalized as unsporting or flagrant. (10-4-1c; 4-19-9; 5-6-2 Exception 3)
Old Thu Nov 22, 2007, 04:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

1. The coach was an idiot for getting the T.
2. The refs should have given his players the remaining free throws that would have otherwise been disregarded.
3. This generally isn't the type of play that appeals processes are meant to rectify. The officials may have kicked the pooch, but they have to live with it.
Old Fri Nov 23, 2007, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Remember, jurisdiction of the officials doesnt end "officially" until all officials leave the visual confines of the court. So a "t" would be in order. But I am sure some officials would ignore such a comment.
Old Fri Nov 23, 2007, 11:25am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
3. This generally isn't the type of play that appeals processes are meant to rectify. The officials may have kicked the pooch, but they have to live with it.
Seems to me this is exactly the kind of play that could be appealed. It is a rule misapplication, not a judgment call.
Old Fri Nov 23, 2007, 11:31am
Keeper of the HAMMER

My understanding is appeals are generally meant to deal with things like ineligible players; the type of situations where the resolution involves forfeit.

If this type of play is appealed successfully, both teams need to show up for a game, prepared for overtime, with the possibility that there might be only one free throw shot.

I suppose that's possible, but it would most likely lead to logistical concerns in most levels of ball.
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 08:48am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
2.2.4 SITUATION A: The score is Team A-62 and Team B-61 when the horn sounds to end the fourth quarter. Prior to the referee's approval of the final score, the coach of Team A directs obscene gestures at the officials. RULING: A technical foul is charged and the result of the free throws will determine which team wins or whether an extra period is required. (5-6-2 Exception 4; 10-4-1c)
Nevada, my play is different in that the A1 already shot free throws before the tech. Also, in my situation A1 didn't shoot all of his allotted free throws because the 2nd of 3 freet throws had won the game.

I wanted to verify that you send A1 back to the free throw line for his 3rd free throw and then administer the technical free throws to Team B.
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Seems to me this is exactly the kind of play that could be appealed. It is a rule misapplication, not a judgment call.
Most state bodies that I know of will not generally accept an appeal based on a judgement call or a misapplication of a rule. They will get involved in player eligibility, misconduct of participants, highly unusual situations, stuff like that. But maybe they do take rules protests in Mass.?