Official Forum Member

For the love of the game?

Good for those guys................

Talk about minimum wage.

Parks dept. raises pay for basketball refs

By Brandy Warren
[email protected]
The Courier-Journal

Basketball referees for Bullitt County Parks and Recreation will be paid more in line with their counterparts in other areas.

Last week Fiscal Court approved raising referees' pay to $19, up from $17.25, for youth games and to $23, up from $20, for adult games beginning this basketball season.

Parks and Recreation runs leagues in eight gyms for youths and three gyms for adults. Each game is staffed by at least two referees, and referees may officiate several games per day. Referees don't need certification.

Sign-up periods for leagues have ended.

Deputy Judge-Executive Depp Rasner said the referees hadn't received a raise in three years, and there was fear they would begin switching to other leagues.

"Without the raises, we were in jeopardy of losing some of the referees," Rasner said.

The raise request was submitted by Assistant Parks and Recreation Director Ed Etherton. He said last week that nearby communities had been paying more than Bullitt for some time.

When he looked at raising the pay, he said he compared Bullitt's rates to sports leagues for Little Flock Christian Church and Okolona Christian Church.

Etherton said the raises were needed to catch up and to compensate for the rise in gas prices. He said some of Bullitt's referees are military personnel who commute from Fort Knox.

Etherton said some referees had talked about looking to work elsewhere unless the salaries were raised.

"Losing these referees would have hurt," he said.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 01:05am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Around here, middle school games were paying 12.50/game last year.
Middle school level AAU, $27/game.
I've heard the middle schools raised the fees this year. I won't find out for sure, though.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 08:44am
Ref Ump Welsch

I see these guys don't have to be certified. I know I was getting 22/game for the city rec league I worked about 4 years ago, and that league required us to be certified. I don't know If they went up or not.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

The park district that I ref b-ball for pays us $27 a game for 5-8th grade games.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

My area pays $20-$25 for rec/AAU grades 3-8....

They don't require you to have IHSAA license to work games until you get to 9th grade....The facility I work at doing mostly AAU prefers it but we have guys that don't have their patches and they do a fine job...some better than the guys with patches
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 11:20am
Do not give a damn!!

I might love the game, but I am not crazy to work for pennies either.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Wow....

I'm glad I live where I do. Most of the travel leagues I do pay $45. And we get $53 for middle school, HS Frosh and JV.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

For the love of the game huh? Well, let's see. Last night I took off at 4. Got inaccurate addresses for the game site (notice the plural form of address). Drove 2:15 to the game site, 20 minutes of driving around the town to the actual game site, and worked a JUCO game for $120. Got home at 12, washed the uniforms so they are ready for tonight. Got to bed at 1. The scary thing is that I have the same road trip in a week and I'm looking forward to it. Us referees are kinda sick.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 11:37am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
For the love of the game huh? Well, let's see. Last night I took off at 4. Got inaccurate addresses for the game site (notice the plural form of address). Drove 2:15 to the game site, 20 minutes of driving around the town to the actual game site, and worked a JUCO game for $120. Got home at 12, washed the uniforms so they are ready for tonight. Got to bed at 1. The scary thing is that I have the same road trip in a week and I'm looking forward to it. Us referees are kinda sick.
Where'd you work last night? email me if you don't want to post it.

I know how you feel, I just informed my assigner yesterday that he can remove any time of day restrictions from my schedule. I realized when I got my schedule for the first half that the reason I don't have more than 1 varsity date is I told him I can't leave work prior to 4:00. Only way that works for varsity games here is if they're in town, and I'm not going to break into the city varsity games yet (2nd year here). So, to get varsity, I have to be willing to travel up to 2 hours one way (we only have 1 school that far, but on average, it's an hour for the schools outside of town).
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
washed the uniforms so they are ready for tonight.
How many uniforms did you wear last night? Why don't you have additional sets of uniforms?
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 11:40am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
How many uniforms did you wear last night? Why don't you have additional sets of uniforms?
Bob. He's a bachelor. He probably hasn't washed his uniforms yet this season and just got to it last night when he got home and realized he'd worn his last one.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I only wore one, but always carry an extra set in the bag. I have 3 sets, but being the person I am, I have one that I like the fit a little better than the others. I could get by with not washing the shirt as we wear the grey for JUCO around these parts.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 12:19pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Bob. He's a bachelor. He probably hasn't washed his uniforms yet this season and just got to it last night when he got home and realized he'd worn his last one.

You guys wash your uniforms???
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
You guys wash your uniforms???
We sometimes even shower after games.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2007, 01:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
We sometimes even shower after games.
That's because you still need to impress the wimmen-folk.