The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   jump ball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/39698-jump-ball.html)

Camron Rust Tue Nov 20, 2007 01:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by oc
OK, what if B2 is injured? 8-2 only allows subs for an injured free throw shooter--jumper is not mentioned. If this ever happened in my game I'll allow the sub-and make sure the coach knows that B2 better be really injured and not playing again today.--But I don't see my interpretation allowed by the book. The alternative is to go straight by the book as I read it and force the injured player to do the jump ball.

Some rules, even without explicit indication, alway trump others...gotta know the purpose and intent.

Mark Dexter Tue Nov 20, 2007 09:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I have to wonder about the game official's role in upholding the words in red.[/COLOR]

Well, since it's lot located in Rule 2 (and not even anywhere in 1 through 10 (inclusive)), I'd have to say that we, unfortunately, don't have much justification in doing so.

That said, if you say the kid was unconscious, no one can challenge that judgement.

Nevadaref Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:06pm

Mr. Lawyer for the plaintiff: Mr. Dexter, are you saying that you noticed a problem with little Joey and that you suspected that he might be suffering from a concussion, but that you allowed him to continue to play anyway? Shouldn't you have had him removed from the game?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Well, since it's not located in Rule 2 (and not even anywhere in 1 through 10 (inclusive)), I'd have to say that we, unfortunately, don't have much justification in doing so.

:D

Adam Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Mr. Lawyer for the plaintiff: Mr. Dexter, are you saying that you noticed a problem with little Joey and that you suspected that he might be suffering from a concussion, but that you allowed him to continue to play anyway? Shouldn't you have had him removed from the game?

:D

Well, Mr. Lawyerman, can you show me where in the list of official's duties it states that this was the officials' responsibility?

Nevadaref Wed Nov 21, 2007 01:55am

Given that concussions were a POE last season, but that nothing appears in the rules this year, as the two of you have noted, I have previously stated that I am seeking clarification from my state office on that matter.

I'll let you know what I learn.

Ref in PA Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:27am

If I suspect a player to be injured (a concussion in this case), I will blow my whistle and stop play. I will beckon the coach and send him off. I will convey my suspicions to the coach, explaining why I think there is something wrong with the player (erratic behavior, stumbling, etc.). If the coach wants to sub the kid back in there is not much I can do about it.

"Mr. Lawyer, I did send the kid off and conveyed to the HC my suspicions, but the coach made the decision the kid was ok and sent him back in."