The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Hope a friend helps him

Couple of weeks ago did a MS game with a 3 year vet. Before the game he was telling me he was frustrated at the "good old boy" system and that he couldn't get any HS games of any level. I though to myself n his city and surrounding small towns he could be turning away FR and JV Games galore. Before game I noticed he had a 99 cent whistle, dress pants with cuffs, a stretched V neck that showed way too much white T-shirt, and dress loafers with rubber soles to officiate in. During the game, he tossed it with the whistle in his mouth, let several rolls and crawls on the floor go without a travel, missed a bunch of fouls on the shooter, and was out of position so many times he just couldn't have seen the right call. I caught some of these, but couldn't and shouldn't call the whole floor. Coach was on him so much I finally whacked him to shut him up and get him off his back... the chirping wasn't helping him or the game any at all.
At half he asked me what the T was for. I said, "That one was for you Bud. He was out of line" He thanked me.
I gave him a few pointers afterwards to try to help, but didn't know him well enough to say too much. The guy loves the game. I hope some of his friends will step up and help him out. I think there's a guy who could become a good official....he just hasn't had any mentoring.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
Couple of weeks ago did a MS game with a 3 year vet. Before the game he was telling me he was frustrated at the "good old boy" system and that he couldn't get any HS games of any level. I though to myself n his city and surrounding small towns he could be turning away FR and JV Games galore. Before game I noticed he had a 99 cent whistle, dress pants with cuffs, a stretched V neck that showed way too much white T-shirt, and dress loafers with rubber soles to officiate in. During the game, he tossed it with the whistle in his mouth, let several rolls and crawls on the floor go without a travel, missed a bunch of fouls on the shooter, and was out of position so many times he just couldn't have seen the right call. I caught some of these, but couldn't and shouldn't call the whole floor. Coach was on him so much I finally whacked him to shut him up and get him off his back... the chirping wasn't helping him or the game any at all.
At half he asked me what the T was for. I said, "That one was for you Bud. He was out of line" He thanked me.
I gave him a few pointers afterwards to try to help, but didn't know him well enough to say too much. The guy loves the game. I hope some of his friends will step up and help him out. I think there's a guy who could become a good official....he just hasn't had any mentoring.
Did you refer him to this board? A lot of newbies learn not only rules and management, but also attitude and frame of mind here. That might be just the thing.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Did you refer him to this board? A lot of newbies learn not only rules and management, but also attitude and frame of mind here. That might be just the thing.
Mentioned it to him, but he's not a big fan of the Internet. I say this with fear and trembling... but since he is a large, athletic black guy, some of the really good.... and I mean really, really good! African American guys in this area could work with him. The AA guys with lots of experience that I know in this area seem to really hold thmeselves and their partners, regardless of ethnicity to a very high standard in every aspect of the game. I learn much from them every game.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
Mentioned it to him, but he's not a big fan of the Internet. I say this with fear and trembling... but since he is a large, athletic black guy, some of the really good.... and I mean really, really good! African American guys in this area could work with him. The AA guys with lots of experience that I know in this area seem to really hold thmeselves and their partners, regardless of ethnicity to a very high standard in every aspect of the game. I learn much from them every game.
You might ask one of them specifically to take him under their wing, especially if you think he'd be more opent to their advice than yours. Or are they the "old boys network" that he thinks is holding him back?
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 09:52am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Or are they the "old boys network" that he thinks is holding him back?
Or maybe it's the the "old girls network" too.

Empathy is my middle name.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Or maybe it's the the "old girls network" too.

Empathy is my middle name.
Uh, hello? Jurrasic.... the point of the ol' BOYS network is that they don't let anyone else in... get it? don't let anyone in???
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 09:57am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Uh, hello? Jurrasic.... the point of the ol' BOYS network is that they don't let anyone else in... get it? don't let anyone in???
How do you know? Have you been to any of their meetings? Have you read their by-laws?
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 10:00am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
How do you know? Have you been to any of their meetings? Have you read their by-laws?
How could she? They wouldn't let her in.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 10:05am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Then what is the point of the "old girls network"? The same? And if it is the same, how would he then know whether he was a victim of the "old boys network" or the "old girls network" if neither lets anybody in?
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Yeahbut why would she join any club that would have her as a member?
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 10:12am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I was wondering, 'cause I haven't been able to find the meetings.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
...eeerrrr....there are meetings....?
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 10:24am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Probably because you flunked the medical......
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 10:24am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
...eeerrrr....there are meetings....?
That's what Juulie told me.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2007, 10:26am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Probably because you flunked the medical......
I turned and coughed just like everyone else. At least Dan told me that everyone else was doing it.