The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

i often have the dream that i am reffing a game and either my whistle does not work, or i am without a whistle. as i am reffing i raising my fist and saying "beep, beep, beep" to signal a foul, or just trying to whistle(mouth) as loud as possible. i have had various other weird basketball dreams but this is the dream i have most often. do you guys have this or am i in trouble with mental health?
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Talking wow dude!

I believe that you are having hallucinations, caused by the rather potent drug that you are taking
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 09:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Too much Information

Some things are better left not said.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 09:22pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by crew
i often have the dream that i am reffing a game and either my whistle does not work, or i am without a whistle. as i am reffing i raising my fist and saying "beep, beep, beep" to signal a foul, or just trying to whistle(mouth) as loud as possible. i have had various other weird basketball dreams but this is the dream i have most often. do you guys have this or am i in trouble with mental health?

You are feeling guilty: (1) For not calling a foul on A2 for pushing B2 while A1's successful field goal attempt was in the air. Or (2) For not calling a foul on B2 who came from a secondary defensive position to block A1's field goal attempt while A1 was an airborne shooter and then knocking A1 to the floor while A1 was still airborne.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 09:42pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Nah,I don't have that problem.At my age,I sleep like a baby.I wake up every 2 hours crying,and have to go to the bathroom.Could be worse,crew.Imagine dreaming that you and Mark T.DeNucci Sr. were permanent partners!
That might put Mark around the bend,too!
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Dream? I've actually had it happen and seen another outstanding official have it happen in the game. I just reached down and put my whistle in my mouth and corrected the situation though.

Seriously. I am a runner and I used to dream that I was running in place or in quicksand. It all comes from not being able to physicially do what your mind in mentally thinking it is doing. The cure for the dream where you are naked or wearing underwear is to start wearing pj's to bed.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 10:26pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
The cure for the dream where you are naked or wearing underwear is to start wearing pj's to bed. [/B]
There you go,crew.Just wear your whistle to bed.No more bad dreams.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I just hope you live alone on a farm.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2002, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Too much Information

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Some things are better left not said.

Peace
LOL! Very good Jeff!

When I was starting out I once spit the whistle clear out
of my mouth while trying to blow it for something or other.
We all had a good laugh. That night I had a dream that I
was eating a gigantic marshmellow. When I woke up my
pillow was gone.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2002, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

I have a similar dream. I don't have my whistle and when I want to make a call I try to whistle real loud with my lips(which I can't do). Then I try to yell real loud but somehow I have lost my voice. Funny thing is it only lasts during basketball season. Shortly after the season is over I start playing golf pretty heavily. Then I have a recurrent dream about not being able to get off the tee. I don't mean that I can't hit the ball very far, I just can't hit it at all. My partners are waiting for me and finally they just leave and I have to let the next group play through. Sheesh!
Old Thu Jan 31, 2002, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

True story - First game of the season - Lots of mental preparation - Good pregame with my partner - We are getting ready for the opening jump ball and in my mind I am going over all the possible things that can happen before the teams settle in.

The ball is tossed and tipped - Blue controls and the teams set up. Blue shoots and misses - White gets the rebound and loses the ball OOB on my side - The open hand goes up and I do the quick exhale to get that short percise blast of the Fox40 that shows the world that I am on the play and in control of the situation.

But no sound comes forth. The crowd and my partner all look at my RED face as I realise that in all that pre-planning, I have failed to take out the whistle that was tucked inside of my shirt and put it in my mouth.

Needless to say I have now included WHISTLE IN MOUTH as part of my personal pregame.

My partner promised not to tell anybody on the board, but its too good a story to keep to myself.

(My nightmare is to get to a faraway gym and realize I have only ONE shoe) I did have a partner who packed two left shoes and had to wear them that way.

[Edited by ranjo on Jan 31st, 2002 at 03:36 PM]
Old Thu Jan 31, 2002, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Quote:
After this, I no longer worry a bit about the dreams I have about Elizabeth Hurley.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2002, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Re: Too much Information

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
I had a dream that I was eating a gigantic marshmellow. When I woke up my pillow was gone.
You were probably feeling a little "down in the mouth" after that!

My basketball dream was strange. I dreamed that my best friend in the world had come to my house for the weekend. While visiting, he was going to come watch me work. I packed my bag while we chatted, then we went to the game site. When we got there, my bag was completely empty. I ran all over the school looking for my stuff. Finally, I told my friend that I couldn't find it and he said to me "Oh, I unpacked it all at your house and laid it out nice and neat on your bed".

At that point, I thought to myself (in my dream) "John would never do that! This must be a dream. Ok, I can relax." And I had the rest of the dream, which I no longer remember. But it's the only time in my life that I can remember being aware that I was dreaming, while I was having the dream.

I told you it was strange.

Chuck
Old Thu Jan 31, 2002, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

After reading some of these replies I am starting to have a little sympathy for the Howler Monkey's of the world

Only dream I have ever had was that I was running as fast as I could but never seemed to be able to catchup with the players...no wait, that was my 9th game of 8th grade boys last Saturday...only seemed like a dream.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2002, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Wink

First of all - BIG WHISTLE - Elizabeth Hurley is my girl (I have the possession arrow)...
Send of all - CREW - I think you just answered the post - How High do you work!!!