The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 07:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question Has anybody seen....

....the new NFHS "Rules By Topic" book for basketball? If so, any comments?
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up I have it......

I like it. It reads like a glorified casebook but adds in defintions, key terms, rationales, some history. I find it a easy read and another way of reading and learning bout stuff.......
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Last year the inaugural version contained many mistakes. I have the new version, but haven't look through it yet.

I really like the new Simplified & Illustrated.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

I like it - as Chess said an easy read. I haven't really put my nose in it this year, but I find it easy to use when I can't find the correct reference in the Rules Book. This one has all the references, so I can find the right topic, then find the rule reference and go there in my Rules Book.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

I have the football, baseball, and basketball versions of the book. They would be very good for someone who is just starting out and learning the rules. Everything is organized by topic, therefore there isn't a need to flip through the rules book and case book to learn. Right now I am looking at the section about setting the alterneting possession arrow. It quotes passages from rules 4 and 6, along with several caseplays from rules 4 and 6. Instead of having to look at 2 different pages in the rule book and 2 pages in the case book it is all right there together. Also at the start of each topic there is a "Fact From Fiction" section which addresses common rules myths and explains the correct ruling which would espicially help someone who is just starting out.

Overall I think they are good books, and it is very convient having everything together on one page instead of having to flip around through the rule and case books. These books are espicially good for anyone who does not have a strong grasp of the rules.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

It is an excellent book. Very easy to use and look up a rule when you have a question. I also have the "Simplified & Illustrated" book. It is also very easy to use and also helps clarify some of the odd situations you see.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2007, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

I've got it Mark - excellent book!