The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
The Beaver fans that I've talked to all agree with Gianola. They know if the situations were reversed, Ducks would be sad for a similar loss by the Beavers. I hang with a pretty empathetic crowd, though.
Even though the blood runs pretty orange in my veins, I have to agree with you - no one wanted to see Dixon go out with a season ending injury. I don't feel too sorry for the Ducks as a team for a couple of reasons:
1. Belotti, the coaching staff and team docs knew the ACL was completely torn (MRI after the Nov. 3 game against ASU showed it), but they played him anyway.
2. In spite of this knowledge the coaching staff made no adjustments whatever to their offensive strategy. Their entire offense is built around Dixon. They had 13 days to make some adjustments to take advantage Leaf's strengths as insurance in the very likely event Dixon couldn't stay the course, yet made no effort to do so. Had they done so, they very well could have beaten Arizona.

I'll most likely see Jeff sometime over the holidays - want me to say "hi" for you?
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor
Even though the blood runs pretty orange in my veins, I have to agree with you - no one wanted to see Dixon go out with a season ending injury. I don't feel too sorry for the Ducks as a team for a couple of reasons:
1. Belotti, the coaching staff and team docs knew the ACL was completely torn (MRI after the Nov. 3 game against ASU showed it), but they played him anyway.
2. In spite of this knowledge the coaching staff made no adjustments whatever to their offensive strategy. Their entire offense is built around Dixon. They had 13 days to make some adjustments to take advantage Leaf's strengths as insurance in the very likely event Dixon couldn't stay the course, yet made no effort to do so. Had they done so, they very well could have beaten Arizona.

I'll most likely see Jeff sometime over the holidays - want me to say "hi" for you?
I agree about them not working on some sort of offensive adjustments. What were they thinking?!? (She said from the safety and comfort of her couch!)

Yes, do say hi to Jeff. Er, wait, who's Jeff? PM or e-mail me
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree about them not working on some sort of offensive adjustments. What were they thinking?!? (She said from the safety and comfort of her couch!)

Yes, do say hi to Jeff. Er, wait, who's Jeff? PM or e-mail me
Gianola.... (sorry I forgot the smiley before) Barb was the L&D nurse for all 3 of his kids. His oldest two & mine are the same ages & went to the same school K-8 - we carpooled for 6+ years. One of his best friends also lives a block from us - we run across each other maybe half a dozen times a year......
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Gianola.... (sorry I forgot the smiley before) Barb was the L&D nurse for all 3 of his kids. His oldest two & mine are the same ages & went to the same school K-8 - we carpooled for 6+ years. One of his best friends also lives a block from us - we run across each other maybe half a dozen times a year......
LOL! Oh, well, yea, sure say hi. He'll say, "Thanks, Tim. Now who's that again?"
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I was cheering for LSU to lose, oh well; for OSU to lose, oh well; just wanting the total number of losses in the top 10 teams. Hoping it might make Oregon look a little better.

But I really can't cheer for Texas Tech to win over Okla. That coach comment abou tthe official is really appalling.
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
If what you say is true and can be confirmed, then I truly feel sorry for the kid. It is irresponsible for the adult coaches and team doctors involved to put this kid out there with that injury. They certainly weren't thinking about his health and future. I would consider a lawsuit.
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But I really can't cheer for Texas Tech to win over Okla. That coach comment abou tthe official is really appalling.
Texas Tech leads 27-10 at the half and OU's starting QB seems to be out with a concussion.
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I would consider a lawsuit.
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Texas Tech leads 27-10 at the half and OU's starting QB seems to be out with a concussion.
I feel like a jinx.
Old Sat Nov 17, 2007, 11:04pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
1) The Ohio State University Buckeyes will beat that team from up north this coming Saturday.

2) Big XII Conference: The University of Kansas (my dear mother's alma mater) will run the table and win the Big XII championshiop, thereby eliminating the Univ. of Missouri and the Univ. of Oklahoma, and securing the number one seed in the BCS Championship game.

3) Big East Conferenc: West Virginia has to get past in order: Cincinnati at home (and I don't mean the Bungles either); at Connecticut; and at Pittsburgh. A loss in any of these games eliminates them from the BCS Championship game.

4) Pac-10: Arizona State has to get past USC and Arizona (both home games). A loss in any of these games eliminates them from the BCS Championship game.

5) SEC: LSU loses in the League Championship game, which is possible.

6) Therefore The Ohio State University Buckeyes are ranked No. 2 in the BCS poll and will play my mother's beloved Jayhawks for the National Championship.

MTD, Sr.

Item 2 (see above): Late 3rd quarter: Texas Tech-34, Oklahoma-13. Things are looking good for the BUCKEYES.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

34-27 Texas Tech wins.
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 12:34am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
34-27 Texas Tech wins.
i'm with Juulie, I was hoping Tech would get thrashed. Their coach is clueless.
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If what you say is true and can be confirmed, then I truly feel sorry for the kid. It is irresponsible for the adult coaches and team doctors involved to put this kid out there with that injury. They certainly weren't thinking about his health and future. I would consider a lawsuit.
Oh it's true, but there won't be any lawsuit - all the gory details broke in a news conference yesterday the paper today, and they came directly from those involved. The results of the MRI were kept confidential at the request of Dixon & his family. It was Dixon that lobbied the coaches to let him play, knowing full well the risk he was taking. I still think the coaching staff was doubly stupid - both for agreeing to let him take the risk and for not having a backup plan.
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 02:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Oh it's true, but there won't be any lawsuit - all the gory details broke in a news conference yesterday the paper today, and they came directly from those involved. The results of the MRI were kept confidential at the request of Dixon & his family. It was Dixon that lobbied the coaches to let him play, knowing full well the risk he was taking. I still think the coaching staff was doubly stupid - both for agreeing to let him take the risk and for not having a backup plan.
WOW! Any coaching/training staff that would allow a young athlete to jeopardize his physical well-being for the sake of a game/championship season is not doing its duty. There are times when adults and experts have to make the proper decisions for young people who may be too emotional.

No wonder the sideline reporter stated that the father was heard telling the young man, "Don't even think about going back in," as he was taken to the lockerroom.
Plus this means that the kid lied on national TV to the reporter at the end of the game when he said that he didn't know the extent of the injury.

This is a very sad story.
Old Sun Nov 18, 2007, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

KU/MU breakdown:

Offenses are a wash. KU makes defensive plays when it counts; MU doesn't have it on that side of the football.

KU 42, MU 31. Write it down.