The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
- We got every Big 10 fan who had deluded themselves into thinking that their league was stronger than the.....wait for it......Sun Belt conference.
Ah, an oldie but goodie.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 08:47am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas
*Peeks in*

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, baby.....
*Peeks in and breaks out laughing.*

Kansas? You mean those Jayhawks that beat up on such luminaries as Central Michigan, S.E.La, Toledo and Fla. International? Kansas.....the university that declared a holiday when they found out that that they didn't have to play Texas and Oklahoma this year?

Yeah, riiiiiight.........

Peek back in after you actually play a football team.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas
*Peeks in*

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, baby.....

Hopefully a cakewalk next week for 11-0 vs Iowa State before the huge game with Mizzou and then hopefully the Big 12 title games vs. most likely the Sooners.
That's a lot of hopin' and dreamin'. Let's talk again in three or four weeks when the games are in the book.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

This is off-topic for college football, but it is football related so I hope you'll agree that it's not off-topic for this thread. God forbid I should be accused of hijacking my own thread!

http://www.theonion.com/content/from...st_down_signal
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 09:13am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
No, Ohio State lost to a Div. I-A team while Michigan lost to a Div. I-AA team. That is a big difference.

MTD, Sr.
Not much difference, since Findlay and Grand Valley were both GLIAC teams last year, weren't they ?
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 10:53am
MeRef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
*Peeks in and breaks out laughing.*

Kansas? You mean those Jayhawks that beat up on such luminaries as Central Michigan, S.E.La, Toledo and Fla. International? Kansas.....the university that declared a holiday when they found out that that they didn't have to play Texas and Oklahoma this year?

Yeah, riiiiiight.........

Peek back in after you actually play a football team.
You mean that same Texas team that lost to K-State, who Kansas BEAT? You mean that Kansas team that BEAT Colorado, who beat Oklahoma? And BTW, KU will get MO in two weeks #3 in the country who beat Illinois who beat ohio state. They WILL get OKLA in a few weeks. I would say playing two top 5 teams in one year is pretty good.

Just curious as to your thought process.

Last edited by MeRef; Sun Nov 11, 2007 at 10:59am.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeRef
You mean that same Texas team that lost to K-State, who Kansas BEAT? You mean that Kansas team that BEAT Colorado, who beat Oklahoma? And BTW, KU will get MO in two weeks #3 in the country who beat Illinois who beat ohio state. They WILL get OKLA in a few weeks. I would say playing two top 5 teams in one year is pretty good.

Just curious as to your thought process.
I can't speak for Jurassic, whose thought process is making you curious (some of us are pretty sure it shouldn't be called a thought process!). But my thought process is to wait and see WILL beat MO and WILL bet OK isn't logic, it's just wishful thinking at least for a couple more weeks. The biggies are falling like flies, including my own Oregon who got beat by Cal a couple or three weeks ago. Cal who can barely hack their way out of a paper bag this year. My thought process is, the one who laughs last, laughs best.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 12:43pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
This is off-topic for college football, but it is football related so I hope you'll agree that it's not off-topic for this thread. God forbid I should be accused of hijacking my own thread!

http://www.theonion.com/content/from...st_down_signal
Nice pic Juulie!
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 02:37pm
Administrator

The Buckeyes will beat that the team up north on Saturday and my mother is screaming Rock Chalk Jayhawk right now, since she is a KU graduate.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 02:42pm
Administrator

Not to change the subject.

This past Friday night was opening night for Start H.S.'s Fall play: Woody Allen's "Don't Drink the Water." Mark, Jr. had the lead role (the part played by Woody himself in the 1994 movie). Junior was great (of course I am bias) and it was a great birthday present to his old man (Doesn't anybody read the birthday announcements at the bottom of the Forum's opening page.) Anyway I don't feel two days over 56. Its a good thing Junior is taking the OhioHSAA basketball officiating class, because we have five jr. H.S. doubleheaders scheduled together this school year.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The Buckeyes will beat that the team up north on Saturday
There's that word again.

Although if the rankings hold up, they will. But that looks like a big if. We'll talk again in a couple of weeks, eh?
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 02:57pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
There's that word again.

Although if the rankings hold up, they will. But that looks like a big if. We'll talk again in a couple of weeks, eh?

Juulie:

At least you got the color correct.

MTD, Sr.

P.S: "eh" Are you Canadian?
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The Buckeyes will beat that the team up north on Saturday and my mother is screaming Rock Chalk Jayhawk right now, since she is a KU graduate.

MTD, Sr.
Who cares. No soup for you one year I mean National Championship
Old Sun Nov 11, 2007, 04:26pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
..... it was a great birthday present to his old man (Doesn't anybody read the birthday announcements at the bottom of the Forum's opening page.) Anyway I don't feel two days over 56.
Happy belated birthday, Mark.

You don't look a day over 83.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Just a reprimand, not even a suspension!

Wyoming coach apologizes for flipping bird during Utah game

ESPN.com news services

Updated: November 12, 2007, 3:54 PM ET

CASPER, Wyo. -- Wyoming coach Joe Glenn didn't like how Utah tried an onside kick with a 43-point lead, and he let coach Kyle Whittingham know by giving him the finger.
On Monday, Glenn apologized, and the Mountain West Conference issued a public reprimand for the gesture, which violated the conference's sportsmanship policy.
"I met with my team on Sunday and apologized to them for the gesture I made toward the Utah bench during the game," Glenn said Monday in a statement. "I also want to apologize to all fans for that action. Football is an emotional game, and I let my emotions get the best of me. I felt it was appropriate for me to let my team and all fans know that I am truly sorry for that emotional moment."
Wyoming athletic director Tom Burman said he viewed Glenn's gesture as a one-time occurrence.
"Coach Glenn should not have responded in the manner that he did and for that we are sorry. Coach Glenn has been a great ambassador for the University of Wyoming, and I view this action as a one-time incident that is out of character for him."
Glenn said after the 50-0 loss that he didn't remember giving the finger.
"Honest to God, I can't even respond to it," Glenn said. "Maybe, I don't know."

According to the conference handbook, obscene gestures or language are subject to at least a reprimand for a first offense.

Utah (7-3, 4-2 Mountain West) tried the onside kick in the third quarter Saturday. Glenn gave Whittingham the finger when Wyoming (5-5, 2-4) recovered.
On Sunday, Whittingham told the Deseret Morning News of Salt Lake City he regretted calling the onside kick.

"My emotions got the best of me, and after thinking about it, I wouldn't have done it in hindsight," he said, according to the report. "But emotions were running high as you could tell -- both from what we did and the reaction on the other team. That's the nature of sports, I guess. At times your emotions get in the way of sound decision-making. "You've got to guard against that. ... I'm not making excuses. I'm just saying that was what happened."

Glenn said at a weekly student luncheon earlier in the week that he could guarantee a win against Utah. Late in the game, the crowd of 42,000 began chanting "guarantee" and Glenn said afterward that he regretted making the promise.
"I got emotional last week and got my big Irish mouth going and made the guarantee," he said. "I'd probably like to have it back now. I wouldn't do it again.
"Find the crow and I'll eat it."
Wyoming has lost four of its last five, is no longer a competitor for the conference title and is all but eliminated from postseason consideration. The Cowboys would need to upset conference-leading BYU this Saturday to earn a bowl bid.

Find the crow and I'll eat it.
--Wyoming coach Joe Glenn, after he guaranteed a win over Utah -- and the Utes won 50-0.