Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 23, 2007, 07:06pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Cool. I like under-dogs.
Old Fri Nov 23, 2007, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

It's over!

50-48 ARKANSAS in 3OT as LSU failed to make the mandatory 2-pt conversion.
Old Fri Nov 23, 2007, 07:09pm
Administrator

How Sweet It Is!!

Final Score: Arkansas-50, LSU-48

GOBUCKEYES!!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Nov 23, 2007, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

The Hawaii/Boise State game now has new importance.
Old Fri Nov 23, 2007, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

PS Texas A&M is leading #13 Texas by two touchdowns with four minutes remaining. A loss by the ranked team would probably allow the winner of the HI/BSU game to move into the top 12, which is necessary for a guaranteed BCS bid.

Edit:
A&M holds on for a 38-30 win.
BCS bids are starting to shape up.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Fri Nov 23, 2007 at 07:31pm.
Old Fri Nov 23, 2007, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Cool. I like under-dogs.
Me, too. Especially when they rise to the challenge and win against the number one team in the country!! Wa-hoo!!
Old Fri Nov 23, 2007, 09:00pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Cool. I like under-dogs.
Me too.

Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 06:07am
Official Forum Member

Ohio State still has to pray for a West Virginia loss and that Oklahoma wins the Big 12 Championship game. Still a lot of dominoes to fall.......

Rock Chalk!
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

My BCS Rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas
Ohio State still has to pray for a West Virginia loss and that Oklahoma wins the Big 12 Championship game. Still a lot of dominoes to fall.......

Rock Chalk!
I'm not sure that's true. It is not clear that a one-loss Missouri team or a one-loss West Virginia team would finish with a higher BCS rating than Ohio State. Most of that is up to the voters and that is very subjective.

Right now the only thing that we know is that if Kansas wins the Big 12 title game, they will play for the National Championship. Everything else is totally crazy.

#1 Hawaii could finish 12-0 and still not even get a shot just as happened to Boise State last season, when in fact the Broncos ended the season as the nation's only undefeated team. Oh and BTW they defeated the Big 12 champion Oklahoma in a BCS game, so please don't say that an undefeated WAC champion doesn't deserve a shot at the Big 12 winner.
This is the main reason why the BCS is joke. They don't learn from their past mistakes. No team should ever finish it's season with perfect record and not get a chance to play for the title. Auburn a couple of years ago should have been the case that caused this situation to be fixed, but they didn't take care of it.

#2 If Kansas loses, then it really turns into a free-for-all.

#3 How does one pick amongst the possible one-loss teams: Ohio State, Missouri, and West Virginia? In Nevada we'd simply have the teams draw for high card. Seriously how do you take 2 of the 3 and leave one out in the cold? Do you perhaps take the top one and pit them against Hawaii, if that school beats Washington next week and has a perfect 12-0 record?

#4 If UConn or Pitt beats West Virginia and Oklahoma wins the Big 12, what the heck happens?
Kansas would still only have one loss whether it was to Missouri or Oklahoma and Ohio State is already in the clubhouse with only one loss. But people might remember what an embarrassment it was a few seasons ago when Nebraska lost in the Big 12 final but still got to go the National Championship game. Anyone also recall how poorly that selection turned out?

#5 If the season were to end with Hawaii as the only undefeated team and Ohio State and Kansas as the only teams with one loss, would a two-loss team enter the picture? Would a 12-0 Hawaii get the nod before a twice defeated USC or LSU? Plus each of those teams still have a game to play.

#6 What would be the TV ratings for a BCS title game between Hawaii and either Missouri or West Virginia? (Probably not possible though because if Ohio State would likely get the nod over Hawaii.)

#7 Honestly, does anyone believe that the BCS people don't actually pray that a WAC team won't finishing the season undefeated? I'm sure that they are all going to church this weekend.

#8 How does one truly say that any one conference is better than any other? There aren't enough crossover games to get a good idea and certainly the intensity of the the rivalries can't be replicated.

#9 There is only one solution--a playoff. And here's how to do it. Only conference champions are eligible. If a team doesn't win its conference title, then it can't play.
Structure:
A.
The six current BCS conferences all get their champions in. The other places go to the winners of the WAC, Mtn West, MAC, Sun Belt, and USA conferences. Finally add the top independent if there is one ranked in the top 10.

Take these twelve teams and award four byes to the four highest ranked schools (five if there is no qualifying independent). The other eight play and then the winners meet those with the byes and play down from there.
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I'm not sure that's true. It is not clear that a one-loss Missouri team or a one-loss West Virginia team would finish with a higher BCS rating than Ohio State. Most of that is up to the voters and that is very subjective.

Right now the only thing that we know is that if Kansas wins the Big 12 title game, they will play for the National Championship. Everything else is totally crazy.

#1 Hawaii could finish 12-0 and still not even get a shot just as happened to Boise State last season, when in fact the Broncos ended the season as the nation's only undefeated team. Oh and BTW they defeated the Big 12 champion Oklahoma in a BCS game, so please don't say that an undefeated WAC champion doesn't deserve a shot at the Big 12 winner.
This is the main reason why the BCS is joke. They don't learn from their past mistakes. No team should ever finish it's season with perfect record and not get a chance to play for the title. Auburn a couple of years ago should have been the case that caused this situation to be fixed, but they didn't take care of it.

#2 If Kansas loses, then it really turns into a free-for-all.

#3 How does one pick amongst the possible one-loss teams: Ohio State, Missouri, and West Virginia? In Nevada we'd simply have the teams draw for high card. Seriously how do you take 2 of the 3 and leave one out in the cold? Do you perhaps take the top one and pit them against Hawaii, if that school beats Washington next week and has a perfect 12-0 record?

#4 If UConn or Pitt beats West Virginia and Oklahoma wins the Big 12, what the heck happens?
Kansas would still only have one loss whether it was to Missouri or Oklahoma and Ohio State is already in the clubhouse with only one loss. But people might remember what an embarrassment it was a few seasons ago when Nebraska lost in the Big 12 final but still got to go the National Championship game. Anyone also recall how poorly that selection turned out?

#5 If the season were to end with Hawaii as the only undefeated team and Ohio State and Kansas as the only teams with one loss, would a two-loss team enter the picture? Would a 12-0 Hawaii get the nod before a twice defeated USC or LSU? Plus each of those teams still have a game to play.

#6 What would be the TV ratings for a BCS title game between Hawaii and either Missouri or West Virginia? (Probably not possible though because if Ohio State would likely get the nod over Hawaii.)

#7 Honestly, does anyone believe that the BCS people don't actually pray that a WAC team won't finishing the season undefeated? I'm sure that they are all going to church this weekend.

#8 How does one truly say that any one conference is better than any other? There aren't enough crossover games to get a good idea and certainly the intensity of the the rivalries can't be replicated.

#9 There is only one solution--a playoff. And here's how to do it. Only conference champions are eligible. If a team doesn't win its conference title, then it can't play.
Structure:
A.
The six current BCS conferences all get their champions in. The other places go to the winners of the WAC, Mtn West, MAC, Sun Belt, and USA conferences. Finally add the top independent if there is one ranked in the top 10.

Take these twelve teams and award four byes to the four highest ranked schools (five if there is no qualifying independent). The other eight play and then the winners meet those with the byes and play down from there.
Sheez, Nevada, I thought I had no life! You really need to get out more...
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Well, the Ducks are done. Too bad. It was fun while it lasted.

Last edited by rainmaker; Sat Nov 24, 2007 at 09:17pm.
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, Kansas just missed a FG from under 30 yards. Could it be that there is a curse at #2?
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Mizz leads KU 14-0 at this point.

Note especially for rainmaker: I'm going out now to meet a couple of friends for a meal and some beers!
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Mizz leads KU 14-0 at this point.

Note especially for rainmaker: I'm going out now to meet a couple of friends for a meal and some beers!
... and I needed to know that because.....

wow, nasty sack/fumble. Kansas is in serious trouble.

.... AND missed another FG, on the other side. Oh, my gosh!
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Kansas finally gets off a good play. Let's see if they can capitalize.

Wow. Half way through the third quarter before they can score.

Last edited by rainmaker; Sat Nov 24, 2007 at 10:25pm.