The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 03, 2007, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

injury coach on the floor

If the coach wants the player to remain in the game the Coach has to call the timeout right? The official is not allowed to call it?
Old Sat Nov 03, 2007, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpbreeze

If the coach wants the player to remain in the game the Coach has to call the timeout right? The official is not allowed to call it?
The official always CALLS the timeout. THe coach can only REQUEST it.

If the player wants to stay in the game, the coach must request and be granted a TO. The official can call a TO that isn't charged, but that's not enough to get the player back in the game.

Last edited by rainmaker; Sat Nov 03, 2007 at 08:20pm.
Old Sat Nov 03, 2007, 08:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
There is no NFHS rule or case book play 3.35.
Old Sat Nov 03, 2007, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

here is the question
A-1 is injured and the coach is beckoned onto the floor to attend to A-1. A-1 is okay and coach decides to leave him in the game, Official charges team A with a time out. Is the official correct?
I would say no because the Coach has to request it first or A-1 has to leave the game. It sounds like the ref is just calling one to allow the player to stay in the game.
Old Sat Nov 03, 2007, 08:56pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

here is the question
A-1 is injured and the coach is beckoned onto the floor to attend to A-1. A-1 is okay and coach decides to leave him in the game, Official charges team A with a time out. Is the official correct?
I would say no because the Coach has to request it first or A-1 has to leave the game. It sounds like the ref is just calling one to allow the player to stay in the game.
It's rule 3-3-5. Case book plays have dots between them. If you're referring to case book play 3.3.5SitB, that's the exact play and it gives you the answer.

If the coach comes out on the floor to check on an injured player, that player must leave the floor. The coach can keep him in the game though if he requests and is granted a timeout.

Officials don't charge timeouts in cases like these. We grant time-out requests if they're legally made.

By any chance, are you an official?

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Sat Nov 03, 2007 at 08:58pm.
Old Sun Nov 04, 2007, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:

here is the question
When the coach says he wants to leave the player in the game, that's taken as a request for a TO. In hs ball, if the coach says, "I want him to stay in the game" I'll say, "Then you have to take a TO." That gives the coach the choice. I wouldn't just assume the coach is asking for it.