The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Question Pre-game Stretching

What is your opinion of how much stretching & warm-ups should be done by officials courtside (as opposed to in the officials' dressing room) prior to gametime? I will usually stretch prior to coming onto the court at the 15-minute mark and do some simple stretching while on the court to stay loose. But I've seen officials jogging from midcourt to baseline on the sideline as part of their warm-up routine. I think this prevents them from their main responsibility of observing the teams' warm-ups and generally looks poor. For purposes of this post, level = high school varsity.
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 02:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

I personally do not feel you should do much stretching at all out on the court. Now that does not mean that if you can briefly and discreetly stretch a hamstring (while standing up) that might be OK, but I would not make a habit of this. I would not at all be running from one end of the court to another out on the court. That is a little much. Stretching should be mainly for the locker-room or off the floor.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

At the varsity level, none. The crew should be prepared and ready to work when they hit the floor.
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds sort of tacky. I bet it looks even worse. Stretch in the locker room & not on the floor.
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 02:40pm
M.A.S.H.

I agree. In the dressing room, if possible. If it's too small, step outside and do it there. Be ready to go when you get on the floor.
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

From a coaches perspective, I view officials that go through extensive stretching routines on the court (part Rambo, part Richard Simmons, all business) as an official that potentially could be an attention-monger, trying to show everyone that "I'm ready for business so don't mess with me, look at how much I care and how serious I am." The type that love to make the dramatic calls, jumping in the air with a full twist and the hammer of Thor on a foul on a made shot, the type that flail their arms like they are directing a 747 landing when calling off a made shot on a charge call...

Not that this is the case, but that's my first impression whenever (rarely) I do see an official on the court doing their Ed T. Rush taebo jazzercise before a game.
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

It should discreet if you do anything at all.

NBA officials will do alot of stretching and running on the court. When I make to the NBA, I'll do the same.
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R
It should discreet if you do anything at all.

NBA officials will do alot of stretching and running on the court. When I make to the NBA, I'll do the same.
But we aren't talking about rules enforcement here.
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

I don't stretch on the floor and I don't stretch in the locker room either, it hurts to much.
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 03:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

and I definitely don't warm up. It requires too much energy. I'm too lazy.
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 03:31pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Koach
From a coaches perspective, I view officials that go through extensive stretching routines on the court (part Rambo, part Richard Simmons, all business) as an official that potentially could be an attention-monger, trying to show everyone that "I'm ready for business so don't mess with me, look at how much I care and how serious I am." The type that love to make the dramatic calls, jumping in the air with a full twist and the hammer of Thor on a foul on a made shot, the type that flail their arms like they are directing a 747 landing when calling off a made shot on a charge call...

Not that this is the case, but that's my first impression whenever (rarely) I do see an official on the court doing their Ed T. Rush taebo jazzercise before a game.

Interesting perspective. What's your impression of an official that's carrying around an extra 40lbs. of a gut?
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 03:42pm
Esteemed Participant

As one who has some lower back issues, I will sometimes squat down during warm-ups as that stretches my lower back out some...but that's all I do, is squat there while the teams are warming up - looks kinda tacky, but I'd rather that than have a spasm in the first minute of the game.
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
As one who has some lower back issues, I will sometimes squat down during warm-ups as that stretches my lower back out some...but that's all I do, is squat there while the teams are warming up - looks kinda tacky, but I'd rather that than have a spasm in the first minute of the game.
I really don't have a problem with a squat or 3 on the floor so long as you don't rip out your pants and you can get up on your own.

I know that sometimes I tighten up a bit when standing for 15 minutes but I don't make a big to-do about stretching. My biggest deal is that my knees stiffen when standing there.
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 04:23pm
Huck Finn

I work with guys who do this all the time and I don't think it is a big deal. Have I done it? Yes, but I don't do it all the time because I don't have a set routine.
Most of the guys I know who do this do it at college games. I don't think a lot of high school officials, the ones I work with at least, do it because they are about to piss on themselves because of the game.
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 05:29pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

What do you guys think about stretching in the men's room?

(Larry Craig icon)