The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Question Backcourt questions

1. A1 has the ball and then attempts a pass to A2 in Team A's frontcourt.Before the pass to A2 gets there B1 deflects the ball and then the ball touches A2 before going into backcourt therefore it is a backcourt violation if A2 goes backcourt to get it. T or F
I have seen this called both ways.I want to know if anyone else has seen this called both ways.I say it is a violation because Team A had team control still. Now on a throw in Team A's frontcourt and the ball deflects off of one of team A's players then they may go backcourt to get it without a violation because there is no team control during a throw in.This is high school rules only.(NFHS)I am not giving a rules meeting here I am just asking. Ha Ha
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 01:50pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by moref
1. A1 has the ball and then attempts a pass to A2 in Team A's frontcourt.Before the pass to A2 gets there B1 deflects the ball and then the ball touches A2 before going into backcourt therefore it is a backcourt violation if A2 goes backcourt to get it. T or F
T

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 02:04pm
Ch1town

1. T
2. F - the throw-in ends when the ball is legally touched
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 02:06pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
2. F - the throw-in ends when the ball is legally touched
The throw-in does end when the ball is legally touched. But that touch does not establish team control, and there can be no backcourt violation without team control.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 02:20pm
Ch1town

Thanks Scrapper, I had to go back & read 4.12.6b Situation again.

So, the throw-in has ended on the touch but no violation without team control...
Better now than in the season huh
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

I just checked out the backcourt quiz posted on here by bballref and it was great.It cleared up alot for me. This board has been very helpful over the years.Thanks again.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I have seen this called both ways.I want to know if anyone else has seen this called both ways.
Yep, and you'll continue to see it called both ways. Part of the problem is that (I think) the NBA rule varies here so that the deflected pass is fair game for both until a player regains player control without regard to who touched it when.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 10:33pm
PYRef

Under NCAA rules, the first statement is obviously true, and the second one can be.
There is Team Control during a throw-in (4-15-2c), however, if the throw-in is adjacent to the division line, an inbounds player in the front court not in control of the ball, may cause the ball to go into the backcourt.(7-6-8)

I guess I only wonder how much distance away they can be before they're not considered "adjacent" to the line.

That will be a question at our next rules clinic.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRef
Under NCAA rules, the first statement is obviously true, and the second one can be.
There is Team Control during a throw-in (4-15-2c), however, if the throw-in is adjacent to the division line, an inbounds player in the front court not in control of the ball, may cause the ball to go into the backcourt.(7-6-8)

I guess I only wonder how much distance away they can be before they're not considered "adjacent" to the line.

That will be a question at our next rules clinic.
You might want to re-read the rule (or else I need to), because it doesn't say "adjacent to the division line." Instead, it says "adjacent to a front-court or back-court boundary line" -- by which they mean either the sideliine or either end-line.

The phrase isn't really needed (since all throw ins are adjacent to a boundary line), but it's there to empahsize that it doesn't matter whether the throw-in is adjacent to the front court or the back court.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Question:

ok.. A1 passes to A2.. B2 deflects the ball into the backcourt and A2 goes and gets it... vioaltion?? t or f
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
Question:

ok.. A1 passes to A2.. B2 deflects the ball into the backcourt and A2 goes and gets it... vioaltion?? t or f
False, no violation. B2 was last to touch in A's frontcourt (I am making some assumptions with your scenario), thus A can recover in A's backcourt. I am also assuming the ball has bounced at least once in A's backcourt prior to touch now where is that thead?
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
Question:

True - if the ball never touches the floor in the backcourt.
False - if the ball touches floor in the backcourt.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 12:22pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Now on a throw in Team A's frontcourt and the ball deflects off of one of team A's players then they may go backcourt to get it without a violation because there is no team control during a throw in.

Will someone clarify why the above is not a violation but *9.9.1 SITUATION D is?

In Situation D, I think it's a violation because after Team Bs deflection on the throw-in, the Team A player jumped from the frontcourt, caught it in the air & then landed in the backcourt.

If that is true would the OP sitch be a violation if after the Team A deflection, the ball was caught in the air by A after jumping from the frontcourt & landing in the backcourt?
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 01:14pm
PYRef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
You might want to re-read the rule (or else I need to), because it doesn't say "adjacent to the division line." Instead, it says "adjacent to a front-court or back-court boundary line" -- by which they mean either the sideliine or either end-line.

The phrase isn't really needed (since all throw ins are adjacent to a boundary line), but it's there to empahsize that it doesn't matter whether the throw-in is adjacent to the front court or the back court.
That's true. Thanks Bob. I guess I read through it quick and was thinking of it as the frontcourt/backcourt boundary line. That would obviously claear up the adjacent question I had.

My bad
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
would the OP sitch be a violation if after the Team A deflection, the ball was caught in the air by A after jumping from the frontcourt & landing in the backcourt?
Yes. A2, having jumped from frontcourt, is still in frontcourt until he lands. When A2 catches the ball, the ball has FC status. Therefore the ball has last been touched by A in A's frontcourt. Once A2 lands, then the ball now has BC status, and has been touched first by A after going to BC.