The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

As trail in 2 man mechanics I prefer to work higher than most of my partners. For me, this opens up my field of vision to be able to see off-ball screens, etc. As a player shoots, I then close down to help on the rebounding. I lhave had a couple of people suggest that I work lower, somewhere between the free throw line and the top of the key. I just dont like the view from there. What do you folks prefer?
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

I'm in my first year so take this with a grain of salt . I have been instructed by several vets to position myself a few steps above the top of the key. If the ball works it's way down to the baseline I slide down a little because I think it helps me get a better look at the action in the corner.

That normally works from me, but I have gotten burned when I drop down (see story about starting a Sat.)
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 03:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb "Get into the game!!!"

Quote:
Originally posted by paulis
As trail in 2 man mechanics I prefer to work higher than most of my partners. For me, this opens up my field of vision to be able to see off-ball screens, etc. As a player shoots, I then close down to help on the rebounding. I lhave had a couple of people suggest that I work lower, somewhere between the free throw line and the top of the key. I just dont like the view from there. What do you folks prefer?
Depending on where the ball is and where the play is going, these people are correct. You work too far away it is precieved as lazy or that you are not close enough to see what you are calling. You need to "get into the game" as it was stated to me at a camp. Even in a 3 man, you can come at least to the top of the 3 point circle.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Have worked for 13 years now. I think it really depends on what your State Supervisors expect from you. In Nebraska, ours expects us as trail when the ball goes to the opposite side and especially during the shot to drop down to at least the free throw line extended or lower so as to officiate the back side rebounds and skirmishes that happen off ball. You do get a good look when you drop down but you better be ready to pin your ears back and sprint for the other end on a long rebound of stolen skip pass. Works for me and I am not the fastest guy in the world. Girls games you can work low. Some boys games you can work low. Just read the game from the beginning and adjust to get the best look through the play as the game goes on. Good luck.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 07:55pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking eventually.....

You know someone was eventually going to say it, so I will and get it over with.

Never, ever work a game high. It can get you into a lot of trouble and sets a bad example for the kids.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
You blow the whistle from the midcourt line and the next thing you hear is something about AT&T or MCI. I try to work between where a trail would be in three man and a center would be. I have been criticized though for that tactic but as long as my mentors are telling me to be that low, I stay there. Most of the people I see working way up high have knee problems or age problems. In either case, I have trouble understanding why they are out there and I am sitting in the stands criticizing them for where they are standing.
Old Tue Jan 29, 2002, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Re: eventually.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
You know someone was eventually going to say it, so I will and get it over with.

Never, ever work a game high. It can get you into a lot of trouble and sets a bad example for the kids.
Took you long enough. Thought maybe you were "asleep at the wheel".
Old Tue Jan 29, 2002, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

When lead has eight players and trail has 2, trail is too high. I hate looking through a crowd and seeing trail standing at the half court line. Work within a pace from the top of the key down to the free throw line extended... Work higher during resets and spread offences.

Someone also mentioned the key to success. Get into the game. Make the adjustments necessary to get angles. You will rarely get the right angle parked at the half court line. And no one ever said you have to stand still. Come out on the floor when the ball goes high on the opposite corner. Be prepared to beat feet!

Just don't bend over, it looks really bad!
Old Tue Jan 29, 2002, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RX Ref
work where you see best

I try to use pre season games, and rec league games to explore different angles. I use the positions in HS games that I feel i see best.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 04:16am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I have worked all levels at 2 man and Steve is correct from all evaluations I have received.
Pistol
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
It's all about working the arc. You need to be where you get the best angle between players. If you are high and can't see something you have to move lower to "get the angle" if you are low and can't see something........well you know "the rest of the story".
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

if you can't see, move to where you can! You don't want to be "standing on a dime" and miss the play. Use your judgement
Old Wed Jan 30, 2002, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

While we are talking about positioning in 2-man....anyone here work strong side on lead? I've been working it into my game but sometime I feel like a fish out of water over there. I wise official (Note to Jurrasic...I didnt say OLD....just wise so it wasnt you! ) told me once...if you have nothing to look at in your area of coverage....move to where you do.

Comments?

Larks - Veteran In Training
Old Thu Jan 31, 2002, 06:30am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Larks
I wise official (Note to Jurrasic...I didnt say OLD....just wise so it wasnt you! ) told me once...if you have nothing to look at in your area of coverage....move to where you do.

Comments?

Larks - Veteran In Training [/B]
Geez,I wake up,brush my teeth and put 'em in,put my rug on and straighten it,adjust my Depends so they don't chafe,grab my walker and head to the ol' computer---and I get this?
If you want to improve YOUR coverage,try moving to another continent!
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

This is just the discussion I was looking for.

Last Sat. night I was working a H.S. boys game. The teams were exceptionally fast for their level.

I was trail. A1 had the ball on my side. He decided to dribble away from me with B1 closely guarding him. I had the visible count and followed the two about half way across the court, top of the key. I didn't want to get right beside them in case A1 wanted to change directions quickly or pass quickly back to a team memeber. So, I was behind them. Well, I got straight lined and of course B1 made a steal. B1 knocked the ball out of A1's hands straight toward B1's basket (A1's backcourt). It probably would have been a break away lay up for B1 except that the ball hit me as I was trying to get out of the way. A1 recovered the ball in his backcourt and dribbled back to his frontcourt with Coach B and the fans howling all the way.

How far should an official go across court, as Trail in two man, when following a play?

RookieDude