The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Here's the sitch. Two whistle mechanics, girls varsity, my (quality) partner is lead. Girl takes a shot near the arc right in front of him. As the shot goes up, he does the three-finger signal. Ball goes in, but for some reason he doesn't continue with the two-armed touchdown sign. I did not see the shooter's feet when she put up the shot.

Turned out there was a stoppage in play in the next few seconds, the table beckoned him over, and they counted the three.

Should I have hit my whistle after the shot went in, or just let play continue on as I did?

Thx for the feedback, folks.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

I file it menataly and get with him at the next dead ball.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Brian has a good take on this one. You are just to mirror is TD signal.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RX Ref
wait til dead ball

I would wait til next dead ball. and not interupt play. Especially with the sloppy games I have had lately.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JAdams
Here's the sitch. Two whistle mechanics, girls varsity, my (quality) partner is lead. Girl takes a shot near the arc right in front of him. As the shot goes up, he does the three-finger signal. Ball goes in, but for some reason he doesn't continue with the two-armed touchdown sign. I did not see the shooter's feet when she put up the shot.

Turned out there was a stoppage in play in the next few seconds, the table beckoned him over, and they counted the three.

Should I have hit my whistle after the shot went in, or just let play continue on as I did?

Maybe the partner is used to working NCAA Women's three-person mechanicsand "forgot" where he was.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

I work NF and have many partners who insist on this improper mechanic. They will tell me that as lead they will mark the 3 and if the ball goes in they want the trail to signal the success. Wrong! Whoever marks it, signals the success with only the trail mirroring the successful try. Let's get this right!
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 01:47pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by JAdams

Since your partner was the lead, I am going to assume that he stayed with the shooter to protect the shooter and then turned his attention to rebounding play in front of him. If you saw him signal a three point attempt and you saw that the attempt was successful, then by all means signal a successful three-point attempt whether your partner does or does not make any signal whatsoever.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by paulis
I work NF and have many partners who insist on this improper mechanic. They will tell me that as lead they will mark the 3 and if the ball goes in they want the trail to signal the success. Wrong! Whoever marks it, signals the success with only the trail mirroring the successful try. Let's get this right!
paulis,
this is not a very difficult play, it makes sense that the trail would signal the success of the 3 because he is more visible to the scorers table. do not dice this play up to much be a good partner and do what is best for the game. sometimes the mechanics manual does not always portray the best signal sor the situation. just my thoughts on this.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

duly noted, crew.