The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 27, 2002, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Boys JV game. After made basket by team A, ball is bouncing on floor under basket. Team B player (not seeing made basket) grabs ball bouncing thinks his teammate (out of bounds) has bounce passed ball to him and takes off up court. I blow whistle to stop play and have team B make a proper throw-in on baseline. Coach A wants a violation. Did I do this properly.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2002, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Please.
No.
Not again!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jan 27, 2002, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Okay, I'm sorry but this same question was asked about six weeks ago and was discussed for 15 days, resulting in 111 replies, 1940 views and 8 pages of post.

Here's the link:

http://www.officialforum.com/thread/3318

Enjoy!

Old Sun Jan 27, 2002, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Please. No. Not again!
Good call by BktBallRef!!! There is no clear guidance on this, so use your judgement. Personally, I would call it back like you did, but with a warning; then use a T if they "delay" again.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2002, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

What he meant to say, instead of being a smart@$$, was, no, it was a violation. Sometimes there are guys around here who spend way too much time here and don't realize that some of us have lives and don't read each and every post, so they end up putting up some smart@$$ response which has nothing to do with the question. JV is far enough up the ladder to expect them to know the rules, blow the violation and maybe they will learn the rule.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2002, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
[JV is far enough up the ladder to expect them to know the rules, blow the violation and maybe they will learn the rule.
Apparently they knew the rule, according to the post it was a mistake of thinking the ball had been passed in. Either way, if you go with a violation, that is O.K. with me too.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2002, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What he meant to say, instead of being a smart@$$, was, no, it was a violation. Sometimes there are guys around here who spend way too much time here and don't realize that some of us have lives and don't read each and every post, so they end up putting up some smart@$$ response which has nothing to do with the question. JV is far enough up the ladder to expect them to know the rules, blow the violation and maybe they will learn the rule.
My comment was not a smartass remark. The fact is that I could not immediately find the post. I search through 6 weeks of posts so that I could find the original thread. Note the time between my first and second reply. I found the post and gave the link. The play was discussed for 15 days. I hate to see it drug out for another 15 days.

BTW, no, it is not a violation. There are 3 viable alternatives. There is no one interpretation.

Old Sun Jan 27, 2002, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
My comment was not a smartass remark. The fact is that I could not immediately find the post. I search through 6 weeks of posts so that I could find the original thread. Note the time between my first and second reply. I found the post and gave the link. The play was discussed for 15 days. I hate to see it drug out for another 15 days.

BTW, no, it is not a violation. There are 3 viable alternatives. There is no one interpretation.
I can live with any of the alternatives that any of you give except the one where you personally e-mail me and throw a hissy. You give a funny, sarcastic, response and everybody laughs, EXPCEPT: someone who asks an honest question and wants an honest answer. I was just saying that sometimes you/us regulars blow off the newbies questions because we have heard them before.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2002, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Quote:
Who pissed in your Wheaties, dude?

Lighten up. It makes you a better official.

Old Sun Jan 27, 2002, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDave
Quote:
Who pissed in your Wheaties, dude?

Lighten up. It makes you a better official.

The only thing I change about my response is the fact that when I say "JV is far enough...". From that point on I was talking about the players and not anyone here.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2002, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Hollywood
Quote:

BTW, no, it is not a violation. There are 3 viable alternatives. There is no one interpretation. [/B]
I can live with any of the alternatives that any of you give except the one where you personally e-mail me and throw a hissy. You give a funny, sarcastic, response and everybody laughs, EXPCEPT: someone who asks an honest question and wants an honest answer. I was just saying that sometimes you/us regulars blow off the newbies questions because we have heard them before. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks devdog about your kind words about us newcomers. I am a newcomer to this list and have hesitated to post more for fear of getting some type of "holier than thou", condenscending response that I have seen from a few people here. Officiating Basketball is my third job right now and I don't have time to read all the posts so really don't know what has been discussed in the past.

BTW, in this situation, I've always blown the whistle to stop play and allowed team B to take the ball out again with a warning that if it happens again, it will be a turnover. Don't know if this is correct but I've never had a coach challenge me on it.

I suppose I'm not too consistent though because in the slightly different case of when a player inbounding the ball is standing on the line, I've always called an immediate turnover without any type of "do-over." This has its advantages because rarely does a team make the same mistake twice.
Old Sun Jan 27, 2002, 11:36pm
Administrator

I just know that I am going to hate myself in the morning for two reasons: (1) I have yet to write to Mary Struckhoff and Dick Knox concerning the Thread referred to by BkbBallRef and (2) because I am replying to the posting of this thread.

For this original thread, I would use the dreaded common sense theory if the age group was 8th grade and below implement a "do over." But even then, if the level of play was very good at the 8th grade age group I might call the violation (the thrust of the discussion in the earlier thread).

If the age group is 9th grade and older, the players are supposed to have their heads in the game, and if they do not, that is the player's problem. In other words, violation everytime (see the earlier thread for a discussion on why this is a throw-in violation, even in North Carolina, see Dick Knox).

Anyway that is my two cents on this posting.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jan 27, 2002, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

As you should very well know Mark, in NC, it's a delay of game warning, not a violation.

Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 12:06am
Administrator

Wink

Quote:
As you should very well know Mark, in NC, it's a delay of game warning, not a violation.

Not if I am officiating, ;-).
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

Not if I am officiating, .
You wouldn't be long!