The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 10:52am
certified Hot Mom tester

Post The 10 Rules of Officiating

I like to quote certain "rules of officiating" that I've made up over the years here on the board. I've had two people ask me if I would post them. Since I have nothing better to do (and you, obviously, have nothing better to do than read them) - here they are.

Number 10 - "When you're on the court - always look sharp. That doesn't include the top of your head."

Number 9 - "There's only 2 (sometimes 3) people in the entire gym who don't care who wins - you and your partner(s)."

Number 8 - "Remember - it's just a game. But you get paid anyway. What a deal!"

Number 7 - "Never swallow your whistle - it's there to be blown and besides, it tastes really, really bad."

Number 6 - "Parents know as much about the rules as they do about raising children."

Number 5 - "When in doubt - don't be."

Number 4 - "Always bring your English-Jibberish dictionary to the game so you can understand the coaches."

Number 3 - "Coaches have a shorter leash than a puppy."

Number 2 - "NO OVERTIMES!!!"

and (drum roll please) Number 1 - "Tuck your whistle in your shirt before you take a leak." This applies to both males and females.
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

CLASSIC! I needed a laugh today...good stuff.
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Ah, guess this means the season has started!!! Lets git r dun
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

I thought number Number 1 should be that "There are three temas on the court, Team A, Team B, and the officials. At the end of the game the Officials always win."

The season is here
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 12:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

I probably should have also posted the referee's motto:

"Occasionally wrong - but never indecisive."

Also - I had a buddy tell me once that if you ever start to feel intimidated by a coach, just imagine him naked. I DO NOT recommend this - unless, of course, the coach is an absolute babe (preferably female - but not that there's anything wrong with that).
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 05:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Soapbox Response

From Mark Padgett: "Number 2 - "NO OVERTIMES!!!""

I disagree. I love overtimes. They can be the most exciting part of the game and officials have to be on their toes for four more minutes of a close game. I've been on this "soapbox" before: Officials know that we're kidding when we say this, but nonofficials, who often frequent this Forum, may be led to believe that we want to work our 32 minutes, get our check, and hit the road as soon as possible.
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 06:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
From Mark Padgett: "Number 2 - "NO OVERTIMES!!!""

I disagree. I love overtimes. They can be the most exciting part of the game and officials have to be on their toes for four more minutes of a close game. I've been on this "soapbox" before: Officials know that we're kidding when we say this, but nonofficials, who often frequent this Forum, may be led to believe that we want to work our 32 minutes, get our check, and hit the road as soon as possible.
I always felt that if you want to work for free, go volunteer somewhere.
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett

Amen to that!
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I always felt that if you want to work for free, go volunteer somewhere.
I don't believe he said anything about working for free.

I think he was simply stating that when a games goes into overtime he enjoys the moment rather than begrudging it.
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

Disagree with your motto.

I've gone for help on OOB calls I was not sure of. Also if action under the basket on a shooting foul caused me to not know if the ball went in or not.

Just two examples of preferring indecision allowing me to go to my crew for help.

Referee's motto: Let's get it right as a crew.
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 08:21pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
It's a joke, Dan.

Old Wed Oct 17, 2007, 01:36pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen
I don't believe he said anything about working for free.
My comical point was that if you get paid for working regulation minutes and do not receive any additional compensation for working additional overtime minutes, then you're working the overtime "for free". Capiche?
Old Wed Oct 17, 2007, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref

I've gone for help on OOB calls I was not sure of. Also if action under the basket on a shooting foul caused me to not know if the ball went in or not.

Just two examples of preferring indecision allowing me to go to my crew for help.

Referee's motto: Let's get it right as a crew.
That's not the kind of "wrong" or "indecisive" he's referring to. Calling the OOB decisively, and then looking decisively at your partners to help you get it right is fine. Indecisive is weak whistle, sloppy mechanics, debating in your mind before signalling -- you know, like me!
Old Wed Oct 17, 2007, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My comical point was that if you get paid for working regulation minutes and do not receive any additional compensation for working additional overtime minutes, then you're working the overtime "for free". Capiche?
aaaahhhhh, there in lies the problem. You are paid by the game; not by the minutes. So you should think that games that finish in regulation are a bonus... you worked less time for the same pay.... ya, thats it, thats the ticket!!
Old Wed Oct 17, 2007, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't get paid for working regulation minutes. I get paid for working a game. Overtime is part of the game (O.K., some games). If the play of the game dictates that it should go into overtime, I sure as heck am not going to make sure that there is no overtime. To do otherwise is dishonest.

I get, Mark, that you post primarily for the sake of humor. And I think eyezen probably understood clearly your point. He was just adding his opinion (to BillyMac's) that your point, even if comical, is wrong-headed.

This whole "no overtime" notion is a matter of integrity. As officials, we should be above reproach. Suggesting that officials compromise their integrity, even as a joke, does a disservice to the officiating community and to the games they serve.

I do appreciate the humor on this site, and I don't want that to change. But the humor I appreciate is the humor that does not require us to believe the worst in people. Except for Old School. We can believe the worst in him. Kidding....