The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 04, 2000, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

Situation: Player A1 drives for layup at the end of 1st quarter is intentionally fouled by B1 in a flagrant manner while making the basket as buzzer sounds ending the 1st quarter. The basket was counted, B1 is ejected from game, A1 shoots 2 free throws and when beginning the 2nd quarter the ball is awarded to team A at the spot of the foul with no change in the alternating possession arrow. Is this the correct procedure for this play?
Old Fri Feb 04, 2000, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

No it would go to the arrow it was just a personel foul not a T. I believe
Old Fri Feb 04, 2000, 02:55am
PDLeBoutillier

Thumbs down

quote:
Is this the correct procedure for this play?

Nope. Since the foul was commited before the expiration of the first period, the FTs would be shot immediately. Since the clock now had no time left, the throw-in normally following the Intentional foul would be ignored and the ball would be put into play as per normal (Mid-court, AP arrow) to begin the 2nd quarter.

[This message has been edited by PDLeBoutillier (edited February 04, 2000).]
Old Fri Feb 04, 2000, 10:40am
In Memoriam

Question

quote:
Originally posted by PDLeBoutillier on 02-04-2000 01:55 AM
Nope. Since the foul was commited before the expiration of the first period, the FTs would be shot immediately. Since the clock now had no time left, the throw-in normally following the Intentional foul would be ignored and the ball would be put into play as per normal (Mid-court, AP arrow) to begin the 2nd quarter.

[This message has been edited by PDLeBoutillier (edited February 04, 2000).]

Paul,
Which rule or case is that? I am having a problem with understanding/rationalizing the loss of the throw-in for the intentional.
mick

Old Fri Feb 04, 2000, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Which rule or case is that? I am having a problem with understanding/rationalizing the loss of the throw-in for the intentional.

Rule 5.6.3: "No penalty or part of penalty carries over from one quarter or extra period to the next."
Old Fri Feb 04, 2000, 10:27pm
In Memoriam

Question

quote:
Originally posted by ken roberts on 02-04-2000 11:46 AM

Rule 5.6.3: "No penalty or part of penalty carries over from one quarter or extra period to the next."

Yes, Ken,
But this happened at the end of the fist period, didn't it?

Sorry, Ken, reread rule, but still doesn't feel good mick

[This message has been edited by mick (edited February 04, 2000).]
Old Sat Feb 05, 2000, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Situation: Player A1 drives for layup at the end of 1st quarter is intentionally fouled by B1 in a flagrant manner while making the basket as buzzer sounds ending the 1st quarter.

Mick wrote "But this happened at the end of the fist period, didn't it?"

If the foul occurred before the try ended, it's considered part of the first period. Otherwise, if the ball went in and then the foul occurred in between periods.

If the former is what happened, then i was correct.

In the latter case, the officials in Bruce's play still messed up since B1's foul while the ball is dead would be technical and not personal, so the ball should be inbounded by Team A at the division line, not the spot of the foul.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2000, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

Ok guys, before you all get to carried away here. If the play happened as per originally described, you have a flagrent 'T', since they did throw the player out. Since the foul happened as the player was shooting just as time ran out in the first quarter, the awarded free throws are shot as part of the first quarter. That's it, the in-bound to start the second quarter goes by the arrow. As per mentioned earlier, no part of a penalty shall carry over to the next quarter.
Reguardless of what kind of foul it was, if it happened as part of that quarter, you take the shots and that's it.
Old Sat Feb 05, 2000, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Couple different way's the handle this situation. If, you as the calling official called the foul, which was intentional, then the horn sounded, I would first have the, count the lay up, clock reset to .3 or .4, shoot the two free throws, the in bound the ball at the spot nearest the violation. But it you had the whistle and horn at the same time, you count the lay up, shot the free throws and begin the second quarter with the arrow. Remember, you can't carry over a violation, into the second quarter, or the next half.

[This message has been edited by ref39 (edited February 05, 2000).]
Old Sat Feb 05, 2000, 11:27pm
In Memoriam

Cool

quote:
Originally posted by ken roberts on 02-04-2000 11:11 PM
Situation: Player A1 drives for layup at the end of 1st quarter is intentionally fouled by B1 in a flagrant manner while making the basket as buzzer sounds ending the 1st quarter.

Mick wrote "But this happened at the end of the fist period, didn't it?"

If the foul occurred before the try ended, it's considered part of the first period. Otherwise, if the ball went in and then the foul occurred in between periods.

If the former is what happened, then i was correct.

In the latter case, the officials in Bruce's play still messed up since B1's foul while the ball is dead would be technical and not personal, so the ball should be inbounded by Team A at the division line, not the spot of the foul.

Hey, thanks guys (Ken,barney, Ref39). I am pretty sure I can do that now... without thinking and just reacting. Kinda like setting the hook on a nice bass.