The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Had a weird situation in a 6th grade game last weekend. Team A has throw in after made basket, but calls time out. Team A is slow to come out after T/O, after warnings from ref, so he puts ball on the floor and starts his 5 second count. Defender from Team B sees ref counting, gets confused, and runs out of bounds and passes in to one of his teammates. Apparently, ref is also confused, because nothing is called. As team B is running its offense, coach from team A is yelling about wrong team taking ball out. Ref stops play to get things cleared up. He realized mistake at this point and gave ball back to team A. I know this was the fair thing to do, and it was only 6th grade game. But am I correct that technically, he was wrong. This was not a correctible error, so team B keeps possession and ref pays more attention next time. (I was only a spectator at this game)
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

You're right - this is too late to be corrected (bonus points if you can tell us when it becomes too late to be corrected!). While the ref screwed up here (both in letting B have the ball and giving the ball back to A), the coach of team A was the idiot who didn't have his team ready on time.

BTW, what was coach B's reaction to giving the ball to A?
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Coach of B was my younger brother. Said he did not think this was correct call, but at that level said it seemed more like the "fair" thing to do. More concerned with teaching the kids than sins and losses.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

make that wins and losses, not sins and losses. Sorry for the typo
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 10:52am
In Memoriam

JLC,what should be the proper call by the administering official in this sitch when B went OB to get the ball?
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

You could technically give B a warning for a throw in plane violation. This has happened a number of times in 13 years of officiating. In practice what I do is blow the whistle and reset. Give the ball to A and move on.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

I hate to disagree with some of you, but you absolutely did the right thing here by stopping play and giving the ball to the corrct team. There is NOTHING in the rule book that covers this, and it does not even fall in the correctable error category.

The rule book states that the referee has final authority to make rulings that are not specifically covered in the rule book.

This is more a game management issue that anything. By not stopping play you are giving an undeserved advantage to one team. If you don't correct the situation, you are setting yourself for problems later in the game.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mlancast
I hate to disagree with some of you, but you absolutely did the right thing here by stopping play and giving the ball to the corrct team. There is NOTHING in the rule book that covers this, and it does not even fall in the correctable error category.
I beg to differ. Case 7.5.2(B) states that an official's error which results in the wrong team having a throw-in is not correctable.

Because it is not one of the correctable errors, you cannot "fix" the situation. Consider this: A1 shoots, B1 gets the rebound, travels under A's basket, then shoots upcourt because neither official called the violation. B passes around a little bit, then puts up a 3. After the ball has gone through the basket, an official recognizes that a travel ocurred and wipes off the points. Correct procedure - NO!!
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

I'll buy your argument, and I do not have a rule book with me. But, I will stand by the decision to stop play in this case....especially since no points were scored. I agree that you could not erase points scored, but catching the error and fixing it in a case like this will keep you out of hot water as the game progresses. My 2 cents.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 01:16pm
Esteemed Participant

Not sure that case would apply here...that is a situation where the official "puts the ball at the disposal of B"...in other words, gives the ball to B...in this play, it was confusion and the ref did not give the ball to B, he/she just had a brain cramp when B ran up and picked it up...kill the play and give the ball to A for throw-in...
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mlancast

The rule book states that the referee has final authority to make rulings that are not specifically covered in the rule book.

This is more a game management issue that anything. By not stopping play you are giving an undeserved advantage to one team. If you don't correct the situation, you are setting yourself for problems later in the game.
Oooooo....the elasticity rule...i like.

game management issue. i totaly agree.
think of it like this the defensive team broke the boundary line to get to the basketball, this is illegal is it not?
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Case 10.1.8 applies here.

Situation:Immediatly following a goal or freethrow by team A, A1 inbounds to A2 and A2 scores through A's basket. Ruling:
A. Charge team A with a Technical
B. Cancel the field goal
C. Cancel any common fouls committed fouls against A2 in the act of shooting
D. Put 'consumed' time back on the clock

Comment: If there was no doubt the throw-in was a result of confusion, especially after a time-out, the entire procedure would be followed except no technical foul would be charged. This procedure shall not be used in any other throw-in situation in which a mistake allows the wrong team to inbound the ball.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

if you were to hand b1 the ball and a1 ran out of bounds in front of b1 to defend the throw in, this is illegal.

the same rule constraints would apply on the resuming play procedure.

personally, i would have just issued a delay of game warning to the tardy team from the timeout. 2nd if i were to put the ball on the ground and start counting and the wrong team came to inbound i would blow the play dead as soon as i realized what happened and resume with the proper team inbounding the ball.

this is a very simple play, do not get to tied up with it. do the right thing for the game. it will make the game go smoother and you will avoid conflict and contreversey.
common sense..
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Rookie explain to me how this case applies. First this was after a Time out... and second B got the ball when they were not entitiled to it.

B broke the plane to get at the ball....

B is not entitled to the ball...
B should not be allowed to score on this play...

If I blow this and let B do it, I am bringing it back...

Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Kelvin,

From JLC
Quote:
quoteTeam A has throw in after made basket, but calls time out
From Case
Quote:
If there was no doubt the throw-in was a result of confusion, especially after a time-out, the entire procedure would be followed except no technical foul would be charged.
We both agree what needs to be done.