The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 02:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to scimeca Send a message via Yahoo to scimeca
First off I am a younger person just getting into the officiating aspet of it. I know the game of basketball but am curious about a few things.

1. When the ball is getting ready to be thrown in do I blow the whistle while I hand him the ball only after a timeout,intermission, or a new quarter? I know on a typical inbound you don't but was curious about that.

2. Also I was curious what is designated as the throw in spot. Example. There is a player that just crossed half court and he was fouled and is NOT bonus. Does the ball get placed on the side of the players hoop or there backcourt.

3. If a ball goes out of bounds at half court which side do you put the player to throw the ball in?

4. I am mainly curious about all the pre designated areas that the ball shall be thrown in from.

5. At the beginning of the second half or quarter which ever it may be. When throwing in the ball it is around half court. Do you put the ball in at the opposite side of the scorers table or same side?

I appreciate anyones help. I know these are some pretty basic quetions and I think I know some of them but I want to make sure before I make a bad call. I have the rule book but I didn't understand certain parts of it. Again thanks much.

Scimeca
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 02:56am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like you have quite a bit to learn. My suggestion would be to get a hold of a rule book, case book and officials mechanics manual to start with.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 06:16am
Official Forum Member

As paulis said, you have so much to learn that it can't be fitted into a post.

In general, the ball is put in play from the point on the boundary that is closest to the infraction.

The most economical place to learn these mechanics is to go to a game and watch (HS or NCAA); try to have an officials manual and rule book with you.

Good luck.

Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scimeca
1. When the ball is getting ready to be thrown in do I blow the whistle while I hand him the ball only after a timeout,intermission, or a new quarter? I know on a typical inbound you don't but was curious about that.
Any time there is a delay since the ball was last in play, TO, intermission between quarters/halves, injured player, etc, you blow your whistle prior to administering the throw-in.

Quote:
2. Also I was curious what is designated as the throw in spot. Example. There is a player that just crossed half court and he was fouled and is NOT bonus. Does the ball get placed on the side of the players hoop or there backcourt.
You go to the OOB spot that's nearest to where the foul occurred. There's no regard for whether it was in the FC or BC.

Quote:
3. If a ball goes out of bounds at half court which side do you put the player to throw the ball in?
You're making this harder than it is. You put it in play where it went OOB.

Quote:
4. I am mainly curious about all the pre designated areas that the ball shall be thrown in from.
There are no pre-designated areas to put the ball into play except that the throw-in for a T or at the beginning of a qtr. is always at the dividion line, opposite the table. Also, you never allow a player to stand under the basket for a spot throw-in. Always make sure they are outside the lane.

Quote:
5. At the beginning of the second half or quarter which ever it may be. When throwing in the ball it is around half court. Do you put the ball in at the opposite side of the scorers table or same side?
As I said above, opposite table.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 10:11am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Slider

The most economical place to learn these mechanics is to go to a game and watch (HS or NCAA); try to have an officials manual and rule book with you.

Slider,
I agree that an officials manual and rule book would be helpful at a real game.
Wouldn't it be great if scimeca could also have an official sitting next to him?
mick
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Just remember - the designated spot is where the official says the ball is to be put into play.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to scimeca Send a message via Yahoo to scimeca
Thanks guys for everything. Basketballref I want to thank you for explaining everything to me. Yeah I do have a lot to learn about officiating. Well thanks again and now I understand.

Scimeca

You can delete this if you want
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 10:55am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by scimeca
Thanks guys for everything. Basketballref I want to thank you for explaining everything to me. Yeah I do have a lot to learn about officiating. Well thanks again and now I understand.

Scimeca

You can delete this if you want
Scimeca,
Now... don't go away.
Hang in here and keep asking questions.
mick