The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 02:33am
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

JV girls tonight. Ugh! (that's short for Ughly) One team had a girl foul out 5 minutes into the game. I called her three times for a push as she was "riding" a player up the court. My partner called her for the same thing the other two times. She was the starting point guard and I have no idea why her coach let this happen. Actually, I do. He's a moron.

We really didn't call the game overly tight but both teams went double bonus both halves, with the home team going to 10 in the first and third quarters. I was a real Slap-A-Rama. Each team shot worse than Shaq from the line. In fact, one team made only two free throws all night - and neither team made a 3 pointer.

During warmups, we had to tell at least four girls to get their jewelry off and went through the "I can't take them out" with one of the home team girls. Of course, she found a way when I told her she couldn't play. Funny how that happens.

One girl on the visitors whined about an OOB call, of all things, and my partner told her to "grow up." I used the "do I look like I'm kidding?" with a coach after a "you goddabee kidding" on a PC foul (he thought it was OK for his dribbler to push off with a forearm every time the defender got close).

We must have had at least 30 jumps and so many violations I wished I was getting paid by the whistle.

And, oh yeah - the final score was 16-10. Where's the running clock when you really need it?

Please - shoot me now before the memory of this game burns in.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 02:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker

Heartfelt sympathy!! I hope this was the lowest it gets this year!
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 03:01am
Official Forum Member

Mark Padgett, I have but one question.

Why do you do these games? I thought you were a Varsity Official. In our area, a Varsity Official rarely, if ever, does a lower level game at the schools he does Varsity.

I can see helping out an assignor for a AAU game or something...but to submit yourself to these ugly games...let us Rooks do them...we can really make um' ugly.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude

Why do you do these games? I thought you were a Varsity Official. In our area, a Varsity Official rarely, if ever, does a lower level game at the schools he does Varsity.

I can see helping out an assignor for a AAU game or something...but to submit yourself to these ugly games...let us Rooks do them...we can really make um' ugly.
Mark may have the same situation as me. I will sometimes do a freshman game at one school (usally 4:00 or 4:15), and then do a varsity game at another school (usually 7:30). We cover about 75 high schools in my area.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Nothing wrong with doing "lower level" games. Keeps you sharp, and reminds you how good it is at the varsity level.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

I had a varsity girls game earlier this year where the first clue we were in for a long night was that the varsity team was EXACTLY the same as the J.V.!
During the second quarter, girl on this team was setting a screen and as the defender ran into her, she put he arm up to brace for the contact and was hit in the throat area
by the defender. Come to find out later that this was the
3rd player that had gone down that week! The Coach look so dissinterested that there were several times during the game when she wasn't even paying attention to what was going on in the game. Luckily the game was not a foul fest. But I thought of many things I would have rather done on that night!
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

I feel for you Mark! Last week I had a great boys varsity game on Friday night. On Saturday I had a girls JV and a boys JV back to back. What a difference a day makes! In the girls JV game, the boys from the JV of the visiting team sat in the front row and whined the whole game. Little did they know that I would be doing their game as well. I thought their coach was one of the players. He looked and acted about 15. Throughout both games all the coach could talk about was the disparity in the number of fouls called. I felt like using the "that's a coaching problem" or one of your many Davisms but I held it in check. If I had any bowel gas accumulation I would have used it on the whole front row but alas I could not.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Mark: I can top you...

Worked a girls' B-squad/JV doubleheader in December. Two not-so-good teams. Instead of holding the game in the main gym (which was having a wrestling meet at the time), we're moved to a side gym which is (wonderful) an old Tartan floor. Basically concrete. My knees are going to LOVE me after this doubleheader.

First game (B-squad, 10th graders). Home team loses 38-8. Neither coach gets on us, though. It was an ugly game, but not a lot of fouls.

Second game (JV). Fouls early and often, especially by the home team. Coach tells me later that he's missing a bunch of players because they're performing in a choir concert at the same time (this game was scheduled kind of late, I guess). Home team is terrible (actually, the visiting team wasn't too good, either), but the coach is the most laid-back, non-chalant guy I've ever seen. Needless to say, his players aren't. They're constantly griping, and I swear I heard one say after the game, "We would have won but the refs sucked." Oh, did I mention the score? The home team lost -- 34-0! That's right, a goose egg for the home team. Anyone ever worked one of those before?
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 12:41pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude

RookieDude,

I understand the humor in you are saying, but I am thinking Mark works levels way below that. He's a giver.

As for varsity officials working "lower" games, I think it is important to subject the younger players and their coaches to the use of actual rules and penalties that sometimes are ignored at that level, so that those teams will be better prepared to face the Varsity world.

I trust you'll be fast-tracking into the varsity and college world.

mick

Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 01:01pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I enjoy (usually) working at all levels. As I have mentioned previously, I have been on the Board of my local rec league for 14 years and gladly work those games. In fact, this coming Saturday morning, I have three 5th grade boys games, with three 6th grade boys games the following Saturday morning (all beginning at 8 am). The second week, I am scheduled to work with my son. That's part of why I do this. It's for the satisfaction and rewarding experiences. Two weeks ago, I "mentored" two HS kids working their first games ever. These were 3& 4 grade girls games - in my opinion the toughest games to work. I had both refs on the floor with me shadowing them and making comments during the game. Then, I worked a quarter with each of them. To me, this is time well spent and I thoroughly enjoy helping to train new officials.

Usually, my rec league uses three criteria in assigning my games. 1) my request based on convenience to me 2) partnering with young officials so I can mentor them and 3) I get the games with the problem howler monkeys. After those games, the monkeys are no longer a problem - one way or another.

One quick story - a few years ago, it was the first Saturday of our season. I was in the stands observing as a Board member for some 3rd grade games. One coach came out in the designer suit, Pat Riley hairdo and with a magnetic board. This is 3rd grade, remember. I knew we were in for trouble. The two refs doing the game were brand new and were HS sophomores. One was a girl and I hoped she would step up if needed. The howler monkey started on her from the beginning. As per her training, she told him to stop properly and gave him the stop sign. He continued. She looked up at me in the bleachers and I nodded. She rang him up. He jumped up, threw his clipboard and yelled at her. She looked at me again and I nodded again. She whacked him for the second time and told him to leave. He got right in her face and that's when I jumped out onto the floor. He knew who I was, immediately shut up and started to leave. I stopped him and told him that if he didn't apologize to her, I would see that he was suspended from the program for life.

Guess what? He apologized.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Mark, I did that same game 3 days ago. I thought the time difference was 3 hours from east coast to west coast, not 3 days....
Old Sat Jan 26, 2002, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I strongly believe that all officials should work those lower level games from time to time for the following reasons:

a It keeps your judgement sharp as you have to know what to call and what to let go;
b. you experience and have to administer many strange situations that you don't see at the higher levels;
c. You train the coaches ,fans, players and partner officials the correct mechanics and interpretations; and, d.Everyone loves to see the top officials work their games from time to time. It makes them feel important.

However having said that, it is imperative that those top officials , when working those games give %150 while they are there or the total value will be lost. To do those games with a " I wish I wasn't here attitude " and display that attitude is the worst thing that can happen. If you are doing them with that attitude do everyone a favor and stay home!
As an evaluator I always like to watch the "so called" top guys do those lower levels especially when they don't know I'm there. It really tells me who the really good ones are!!

Pistol
Old Sat Jan 26, 2002, 09:25pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Devana
I strongly believe that all officials should work those lower level games from time to time for the following reasons:

a It keeps your judgement sharp as you have to know what to call and what to let go;
b. you experience and have to administer many strange situations that you don't see at the higher levels;
c. You train the coaches ,fans, players and partner officials the correct mechanics and interpretations; and, d.Everyone loves to see the top officials work their games from time to time. It makes them feel important.

However having said that, it is imperative that those top officials , when working those games give %150 while they are there or the total value will be lost. To do those games with a " I wish I wasn't here attitude " and display that attitude is the worst thing that can happen. If you are doing them with that attitude do everyone a favor and stay home!
As an evaluator I always like to watch the "so called" top guys do those lower levels especially when they don't know I'm there. It really tells me who the really good ones are!!

Pistol
Pistol,
C'mon U.P. north.
I've got a Jr.High boys double on Monday.
$33.00 and nothing to drink.
I'll split it with you.
mick
Old Sat Jan 26, 2002, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Mick,
I'd love to take you up on the offer but I'd be travelling South not North and I'm afraid its too far away.
BTW up here we would only get about $20 loonies for that level of game and thats worth about $12 in US GREEN!!! Thanks for the offer though and do a professional job for everyone concerned.
Pistol
Old Sat Jan 26, 2002, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Mick,
I'd love to take you up on the offer but I'd be travelling South not North and I'm afraid its too far away.
BTW up here we would only get about $20 loonies for that level of game and thats worth about $12 in US GREEN!!! Thanks for the offer though and do a professional job for everyone concerned.
Pistol