The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Accounting Software (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/38543-accounting-software.html)

Adam Sat Sep 29, 2007 04:24pm

Accounting Software

I've just purchased a new computer for home, and need to also purchase a new accounting program (MS Money, Quicken, Quickbooks, etc.) and was wondering if any of you had any suggestions for something that works well with officiating needs.

Mark Padgett Sat Sep 29, 2007 05:24pm

I just use an abacus and record the info onto parchment with a quill pen.

Seriously, what do you want to record? I just keep my schedule in my Outlook calendar and I keep track of pay, mileage and other expenses in Excel.

Adam Sat Sep 29, 2007 05:31pm

That's what I do now, as well, but those are the things I'm looking to maybe integrate. Expenses, mileage, accounts receiveable, accounts payable, etc. Just wondering if there's something cheaper than Quicken Home and Business that has the features I'd use.

just another ref Sat Sep 29, 2007 07:24pm

Where it says ss# put BR-549. Then go cash your checks at a 7-11 where nobody speaks English.

Mark Padgett Sat Sep 29, 2007 07:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref
Where it says ss# put BR-549. Then go cash your checks at a 7-11 where nobody speaks English.

I went to my local 7-11 the other night around 10 pm. The kid was locking up. I said, "Aren't you open 24 hours?" He replied, "Duh - not in a row!"

http://www.runemasterstudios.com/gra.../smilielol.gif

JugglingReferee Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I went to my local 7-11 the other night around 10 pm. The kid was locking up. I said, "Aren't you open 24 hours?" He replied, "Duh - not in a row!"

Shouldn't 7-11 close at 11? :confused: :eek:

WhistlesAndStripes Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:20pm

Quote:

http://www.runemasterstudios.com/gra.../smilielol.gif

This joke stolen from Steven Wright.

Camron Rust Sun Sep 30, 2007 02:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I've just purchased a new computer for home, and need to also purchase a new accounting program (MS Money, Quicken, Quickbooks, etc.) and was wondering if any of you had any suggestions for something that works well with officiating needs.

Quickbooks is overkill.

Money and Quicken are basically the same but different. I personally like MS Money, but just as many like Quicken.

For officiating alone (without any other personal finances), a simple excel spreadsheet would be more then enough.

TimTaylor Sun Sep 30, 2007 06:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Quickbooks is overkill.

Money and Quicken are basically the same but different. I personally like MS Money, but just as many like Quicken.

For officiating alone (without any other personal finances), a simple excel spreadsheet would be more then enough.

I agree with Cam....a book keeping program is way overkill. If you're not comfortable creating a spreadsheet in Excel, then something like Quicken or MS Money to keep track of income, expenses & mileage would be a good choice.

IMHO you'd be better off spending $40 a year on a good tax prep program (which is a deductible expense). I personally like TurboTax Deluxe, which includes everything you need to do your schedule C. It really simplifies the process.

Mark Dexter Sun Sep 30, 2007 08:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee

Actually, the 7-11 by my undergrad school did have those hours - open at 7 am, close at 11 pm.

Mark Padgett Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Actually, the 7-11 by my undergrad school did have those hours - open at 7 am, close at 11 pm.

That's how the company got it's name. Originally, they were all open from 7 to 11, which was very unusual for stores at that time.

I can't fault any of you for not knowing that, because it happened way before any of you were born - around the year 711. However, I remember it well. :p

JugglingReferee Sun Sep 30, 2007 07:43pm

Quote:

That's how the company got it's name. Originally, they were all open from 7 to 11, which was very unusual for stores at that time.

I can't fault any of you for not knowing that, because it happened way before any of you were born - around the year 711. However, I remember it well. :p

Actually, I did in fact know this. That fact and a quarter will get me a phone call, but meh, what can you do.

26 Year Gap Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee

It is 11 somewhere if they close at 10.

Mark Dexter Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
It is 11 somewhere if they close at 10.

And it's 11 somewhere when they open at 7.

Adam Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
And it's 11 somewhere when they open at 7.

And it's always 5 O'clock somewhere. Right M&M Guy?