The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

So One line says Jim #43 and the other says Joe 23, so we erase the names instead of the #'s. Any way you look at it Jim and Joe changed #'s.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Bart, I guess this is where my problem lies. I read the number change rule to be changing numbers from 40 to 41.

I go back to my question, do we care what name is next to a number? (and an NFHS rule to back it up)
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rookie
Not trying to be an jerk or anything, but I would like to see the NFHS rule that states, changing a players name (not number) is a T.
You can argue semantics all day long, but if player X had 23 and player Y had 32 (and they should have been reversed) you are changing a players number.

Therefore 3-2-2 applies:
ART. 2 . . . After the time limit specified in Article 1, a team is charged with a maximum of one technical foul regardless of how many infractions of the following are committed (See 10-1-1, 2 Penalty):

a. Changing a designated starter, unless necessitated by illness, injury, illegal equipment or apparel, etc., or to attempt a technical-foul free throw.
b. Adding a name to the squad list.
c. Requiring the scorer to change a squad member's or player's number in the scorebook.
d. Requiring a player to change to the number in the scorebook.
e. Having identical numbers on squad members and/or players.

There's your NFHS rule
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

It doesn't matter what we think. The book is to be correct. If we have knowledge that the book is wrong, then we must correct it.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 04:33pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

I am all over the Jane Austen reference, but who is Dorothy Sayer? Never heard that name before.

Chuck
Dorothy L. Sayers (not Sayer) was a British mystery writer. She died in 1957. Probably her most popular detective was Lord Peter Whimsey.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Now that i know Dorothy L. Sayers(not Sayer) is a writer, who is Jane Austen?
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys, I guess I kicked this one, I'm sure I will not get this wrong in the future.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Cool Don't find out about name/number problems

Want another way to fix this solution??

Tell the table before the game that there will be no "book Ts" tonight......and if there is a problem with the numbers, just fix it and don't tell us about it.

The game is for the kids, and the gamesmanship by the coaches and whatnot should not have any part of the outcome. Let the game be decided on the floor, and not by an oversite by a manager or coach.

I realize that nobody here will like this solution, since it does not in any way follow the book. But then again, when you get to the major tournaments, the officials are instructed not to worry with the book. Wonder why? Hmmmm..

Blast away, oh protectors of the written word.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy My reply.

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
Want another way to fix this solution??

Tell the table before the game that there will be no "book Ts" tonight......and if there is a problem with the numbers, just fix it and don't tell us about it.

The game is for the kids, and the gamesmanship by the coaches and whatnot should not have any part of the outcome. Let the game be decided on the floor, and not by an oversite by a manager or coach.

I realize that nobody here will like this solution, since it does not in any way follow the book. But then again, when you get to the major tournaments, the officials are instructed not to worry with the book. Wonder why? Hmmmm..

Blast away, oh protectors of the written word.

I'll just say .

BTW, I've never been told to ignore book mistakes in any tournament that I've ever officiaited in. They may tell them that in the NCAA tournament but I don't see it happening in high school.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Jan 23rd, 2002 at 05:50 PM]

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks guys, I guess I kicked this one, I'm sure I will not get this wrong in the future.
Just in case you are still wavering, think of this: Bob, #23 gets 4 fouls, he switches shirts with #14 who only has one foul--the fouls are reported by number, not by name, so now Bob #14 now only has one foul.

That just doesn't work.

The suggestion by BigWhistle above works, if you don't know about an infraction then you can't penalize it; however, if you do discover an infraction you have a duty to penalize it.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 11:14pm
Administrator

Quote:
Not trying to be an jerk or anything, but I would like to see the NFHS rule that states, changing a players name (not number) is a T.

Read BktBllRef and Bob Jenkins postings above. They did an excellent job of explaining why the orginal posting is a technical foul.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 03:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

I am all over the Jane Austen reference, but who is Dorothy Sayer? Never heard that name before.

Chuck
Dorothy L. Sayers (not Sayer) was a British mystery writer. She died in 1957. Probably her most popular detective was Lord Peter Whimsey.
To answer Chuck's question, yes I did get my posts crossed. I'm not sure what went wrong. If you enjoy detective fiction (not the dark Dashiell Hamnett type, but the details of a situation type) you'll love Dorothy L. Sayers. She is a fabulous writer, and her books are tremendous. Then, once you are addicted to her writing, you can delve into her Christian works such as The Man Born to be King, and Are Women Human? and Christian Letters to a Post-Christian World. She was a very strange person in many ways, (like another famous Dorothy, she smoked cigars from time to time) but an incredible thinker and writer. She was a friend of "The Inklings" if that literary reference means anything to you, although she never "joined".

To answer another question, Jane Austen was the greatest British writer until Dorothy L. Sayers. She wrote Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Emma, Northanger Abbey, Mansfield Park, and the first and second drafts of Persuasion. She was the daughter of a vicar, and never married, but her writing captured the social atmosphere of middle class Britain in the early 1800's as well as any writing ever did. She is witty, subtle and incisive in her style, and very much in tune with human frailties and foibles. Her writings were popular from the very beginning, and have never stopped selling, although they have enjoyed a recent surge in readership, probably due to three new film versions of her works--Pride and Prerjudice, Sense and Sensibility and Emma. I personally wish someone would do Northanger Abbey, since I find it extremely amusing, but perhaps it is just too vapid.

Well, that's more than most of you probably care to know about English literature.

Back to the hoops...
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

rainmaker:

You continue to impress me. Not only are you a student of the game (good questions), but you are also a student of mystery books. I read a lot (at least a book a week), but I have never read any Dorothy Sayer(s)...did'nt look back to see correct name.