The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Now I'm confused. Within the last few days there was a discussion about over the back. Someone raised the point that there is no such foul in the rule book. What approach should I take the in the event we are whistled for this violation?

Thanks for helping me see the light.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

I have used the "over the back" call in the past but only as a clarification. I'll make the push call and if the coach or someone wants clarification I'll say "He's all over his back." or "he's climbing up his back." I don't know if there's any good way to approach an official about that call. If you try to show up an official that's making the call, you might find yourself in hot water. Most of the veteran officials I know don't make the call. It's the younger ones that make that and the "reach" call or the "trip" call. When I go to report a foul, I have the "man of few words" philosophy. sometimes I don't even verbalize the call when reporting, other than reporting the color of the fouling team.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Quote:
Originally posted by coachgrd
Now I'm confused. Within the last few days there was a discussion about over the back. Someone raised the point that there is no such foul in the rule book. What approach should I take the in the event we are whistled for this violation?

Coach,

If you get a foul for this type action and you want an explanation, ask if your player displaced the other team or if your player was going straight up and down. It will not help on this play, but it may make the official aware that you realize that displacement is necessary for a foul and that they should not be blowing the whistle just cause your player had slight contact without affecting the play.

Sometimes the officials in the game need to be reminded of what is really necessary for a foul. Of course none of those come to this site!

Of course, the manner in which you approach the official is probably as important as the message that you are trying to get across!!
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 09:53am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
There is no such thing as "over the back", it is either a push or a hold. Also, if a coach wants to complain because I didn't call it I either ignore it or explain, as I am running by, that I can't punish the player because he can jump higher or is taller.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 12:29pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by coachgrd

BTW - not only is there no such foul as over the back, there is a difference between a foul and a violation.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

if he went "over his back", it was most likely a push
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

over the back is not a foul, on the back might be a foul.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dibbs
Bart I'm with you, I call it the same way "on the back" and give the push signal.