The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 04, 2000, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Question

How about this situation. My partner and I are calling a pretty good game. I wouldn't say that I haven't missed a thing, but my partner has definitely passed on a few calls where team B's players have ended up on the floor (he is lead, I'm trail, and these few occurances have happened right in front of him on his side of the lane.) Team B's coach starts getting upset with my partner for "not giving him the call when your partner (referring to me) is calling the same fouls on his team at the other end."

This is not my normal partner, and judgement-wise, we are close but not quite on the same page. After a series of up & downs and switches, I call a team B player for shoving in the back on B's offensive end (the supposed place where coach B has been complaining about my partner's calls.) As I go to report, coach B asks me if he can get just one call to go his way tonight. I briefly explained that #so-and-so put both hands into #so-and-so's back and shoved him forward at least 3 feet to get the rebound. He told me that he saw something different and that "we officials were missing a good game." No more words were spoken at this exchange but how do you all feel about a coach exclaiming, although NOT at the top of his lungs, that "the officials are missing a good game"?

If more explanation is needed, let me know. I have yet to give an unsportsmanlike technical as I don't really listen to complaining coaches much. I tend to focus on the task at hand and not listen to the crowd & coaches. If I have a "yeller", I tune him out; if I have a guy who professionally wants an explanation, I like to give it.

Some guys I have worked with say I'm TOO calm, cool, and collected. Any advice?

[This message has been edited by Indy_Ref (edited February 04, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Indy_Ref (edited February 04, 2000).]
Old Fri Feb 04, 2000, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

He told me that he saw something different and that "we officials were missing a good game." No more words were spoken at this exchange but how do you all feel about a coach exclaiming, although NOT at the top of his lungs, that "the officials are missing a good game"?

"I know, Coach, but i was assigned to this one..." [1]

From what you said it doesn't sound like i would have given a T in this case, but it's hard to come to a concrete judgement since i wasn't there. If he yelled it so that everyone in the gym could here it, ring him up. Also, if you are unable to tune out his comments and they were affecting the way you called the game, then go ahead and call the T.

[1] Line stolen from a post on rec.sport.officiating.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2000, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Not much you can explain there--it was a clear foul and you called it. Since you recognize that your partner may have passed on a couple where he perhaps should have come up with a call, I'd give the coach a little leeway and a brief listening ear, along with "I hear you coach," or something along that line. Calm, cool and collected is great--that's how we should all be--but with a "yeller," you also need to establish the limit at some point. Example: arm out, palm facing the coach (the universal "stop" signal), then "OK coach, I hear you, but now I've heard enough." At that point, get away from him so you don't hear the last little jab, then after that any further strong or persistent complaining could/should receive a "T." Letting a yeller continue on at the refs for too long will make for a long game. The T usually settles him down somewhat, at least verbally at the refs.

[This message has been edited by Todd VandenAkker (edited February 04, 2000).]
Old Sat Feb 05, 2000, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

One simple reply that usually shuts up a coach..."If it happened the way you say it did coach, then I guess I missed it"