The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 02:33am
Official Forum Member

NBA adds video review

I haven't seen a thread on this on the forum yet, so I'm starting one.

Does anyone have any comments about this? Does anyone care about what the NBA does?

Updated: September 5, 2007, 2:42 PM ET

NEW YORK -- NBA referees will be able to use instant replay to review altercations and some flagrant fouls starting this season.
The NBA Board of Governors voted last week to approve the changes recommended by the league's Competition Committee.
Officials will be allowed to use replay on the more severe type of flagrant foul, known as the penalty 2. Because a flagrant-2 results in an ejection, the committee ruled that reviewing such infractions was appropriate.
Referees also will be able to use replay after an altercation to ensure that no punches or other unsportsmanlike actions are missed in determining penalties.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 07:57am
Keeper of the HAMMER

How much of a change is this?
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I haven't seen a thread on this on the forum yet,
That should answer your question.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 08:05am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Does anyone care about what the NBA does?
Not really.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 10:16am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Officials will be allowed to use replay on the more severe type of flagrant foul, known as the penalty 2. Because a flagrant-2 results in an ejection, the committee ruled that reviewing such infractions was appropriate.
To me, the interesting thing is that officials will be allowed to review a call that is strictly a judgment call. Other reviews allow you to look at "facts" in a play -- where the foot was, the time showing on the game clock, etc. For the first time, officials will review their own judgment calls. Ok, you called a Flagrant 2, now go look at it and make sure you still like the call.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 10:25am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Does anyone have any comments about this? Does anyone care about what the NBA does?
About as much as I care what happens at the circus.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
To me, the interesting thing is that officials will be allowed to review a call that is strictly a judgment call. Other reviews allow you to look at "facts" in a play -- where the foot was, the time showing on the game clock, etc. For the first time, officials will review their own judgment calls. Ok, you called a Flagrant 2, now go look at it and make sure you still like the call.
As much as I would also like to jump on the NBA-bashing bandwagon, I can't imagine they would allow a review of a judgement call. To me, that would open up a whole bunch of other issues I don't think belong in basketball. Games do not need to be stopped to see if the touch on the arm really did affect the shot, or if the defender really did bump the dribbler off their intended path. How long do we wait while the officials look over the play? Will it be a coach's challenge, like in football? How many challenges do they get per half or game?

I did notice they also listed seeing who else was involved in a fight, which is also looking at a "fact", so to speak. Is it possible there are specific guidelines to calling a flagrant-2? Are these specifics that can then be seen on a review? I sure hope it's not simply an issue of reviewing a judgement call. "What'da think, Skippy? It sure looked like Shaq was taking a swing at Kobe, but maybe upon further review he was just waving to his wife in the stands? So, should we let him stay in?"

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 12:17pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Will the Portland Jailblazers need more than 1 video review screen?
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 12:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
No, a wide screen should be able to take care of it.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 12:43pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
They're already used to being on a number of television screens. One that comes to mind is "America's Most Wanted".
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
As much as I would also like to jump on the NBA-bashing bandwagon, I can't imagine they would allow a review of a judgement call. To me, that would open up a whole bunch of other issues I don't think belong in basketball. Games do not need to be stopped to see if the touch on the arm really did affect the shot, or if the defender really did bump the dribbler off their intended path. How long do we wait while the officials look over the play? Will it be a coach's challenge, like in football? How many challenges do they get per half or game?

I did notice they also listed seeing who else was involved in a fight, which is also looking at a "fact", so to speak. Is it possible there are specific guidelines to calling a flagrant-2? Are these specifics that can then be seen on a review? I sure hope it's not simply an issue of reviewing a judgement call. "What'da think, Skippy? It sure looked like Shaq was taking a swing at Kobe, but maybe upon further review he was just waving to his wife in the stands? So, should we let him stay in?"
You are exactly right M&M, there are guidelines to calling a Flagrant Foul. It is judged with the Acronym WIF which stands for Wind-up, Impact, and Followthrough. If it is to be a Flagrant Penalty 1 then it must be unnecessary contact but not excessive(judgement of the officials), and for it to be a Flagrant Penalty 2, it must be deemed unnecessary and excessive which would result in an ejection.

At first I did like the new rules with the instant replay but after reading about how judgement calls are going to be looked at, I am looking at it in a new light now and maybe the shouldn't go to the monitor for that. As far as altercations, I think they should be able to go to the monitor for that.