The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 19, 2002, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to kevin
Talking

Last night our crew had the #1 ranked 5A girls team in the state of Alabama. They bored us to death with a 92-9 victory over the home team. Then came the boys game. It went back and forth with the home team hitting a 3 at the buzzer for the win. It was a little better than the girls game!Has anyone ever had a game where a team lost by more than 100 points? I thought we were going to have one last night.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2002, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Even if I had, I wouldn't want to admit it.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2002, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

I had a shutout....that was as bad as it got.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2002, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Similiar situation

My 1st year of officiating I had a local school who is known as a sports program powerhouse. The host team was a nearby parochial school (Freshman boys).

Score by qtr:
1st Green 36 - White 3
2nd Green 52 - White 11
3rd Green 79 - White 18
4th Green 99 - White 26

Ok... That is life, White was clearly outmanned in all aspects of the game.

Here is the challenge:

Do you as the referee go to Green Coach and suggest that he pull his full court press?

The White coach remained relatively silent throughout the game, appeared overwhelmed or predetermined to accept that his team was going to get creamed before the tip-off.

My Partner (who was also relatively new official) and I decided to "ratchet down" the tolerance on Green's players. Nonetheless, they had a deep bench and rotated enough players to keep all players in the game. Many of the Green players finished the game with 4 fouls.

It was one of the longest (and most sickening) games I ever officiated.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2002, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Re: Similiar situation

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
Score by qtr:
1st Green 36 - White 3
2nd Green 52 - White 11
3rd Green 79 - White 18
4th Green 99 - White 26

Ok... That is life, White was clearly outmanned in all aspects of the game.

Here is the challenge:

Do you as the referee go to Green Coach and suggest that he pull his full court press?

Should you go to coach and suggest something...NO.
Would I go to coach and suggest that he pull off his press? ABSOLUTELY!!!

This game had turned into a situation where it is no longer an educational process for the participants, which is what high school sports is really supposed to be.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 03:26am
Official Forum Member

My usual response to a coach who continues with a full court press with a big lead is to call all contact(no matter how minor) as fouls on his team. Usually they get the picture.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by daves
My usual response to a coach who continues with a full court press with a big lead is to call all contact(no matter how minor) as fouls on his team. Usually they get the picture.
We called the slightest of contact and the "Green" Coach DID NOT get that message. Realistically, thgis game should not have been played, because it was such a mismatch. I speculate that the parachial team had "underaged" players on their roster. It was truly like a JV team Vs. a Jr High Team.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

I did a game a number of years ago where one team was scoreless at halftime. The final score ended up 86-5. At one point in the third quarter there was a scramble for a loose ball and a lot of contact. I called a foul on a player on the team that was leading. The coach of the team that was ahead jumped up and screamed that the was such a thing as incidental contact. I told her she was right but not when her team was up by 50 pts.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Re: Similiar situation

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bigwhistle
Quote:

Should you go to coach and suggest something...NO.
Would I go to coach and suggest that he pull off his press? ABSOLUTELY!!!
I'm afraid I'm not understanding what you're getting at, bigwhistle. You're saying that willie shouldn't have said anything, but that you would? I think I would just stick with the first sentence above. It's not the official's job to suggest strategy to the coach. I would however, call every single touch a foul on the winning team.

Chuck
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
78-9 in JH tournament was the biggest win I've seen. Winning shot made 1 minute into the game as the score was 10-0 at that point. Give them another 8 minutes to play and it would rival your game.

I participated in an intermural game in college where we won 101-28. Am I proud of that win. You bet. It was the only game I got to play every single minute and I scored 21 points. I normally scored 2 or 4 points during those games before the three point line.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
78-9 in JH tournament was the biggest win I've seen. Winning shot made 1 minute into the game as the score was 10-0 at that point. Give them another 8 minutes to play and it would rival your game.

I participated in an intermural game in college where we won 101-28. Am I proud of that win. You bet. It was the only game I got to play every single minute and I scored 21 points. I normally scored 2 or 4 points during those games before the three point line.
Hey, I think I played in that game on the losing team. My only 2 points were wiped away by a no call on a goaltend. Dang, I hated that game. I thought I was over it and you had to rip the scab off the wound after all these years. Thanks a lot.